U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:59 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Sorry about your salad, maybe you should have fried up a squirrel from your yard ha ha Can you buy Krispey Cream there???????
Yeah, I could have deflea'd the squirrels first.. We do have Krispy Kreme here, but I don't like them much. I would if they weren't so thoroughly covered in that sickenly sweet icing that makes my teeth ring. I also (I know it's too much info...) get diarrhea from Krispy Kreme donuts.
On the other hand, we have LaMar's donuts out of Kansas City here...YUMMERS... a completely opposite donut to Krispy's. These are cakey, thick, not overly sweet and I can eat a dozen! No problems with my exhaust pipe hours later either
But I guess my fate is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 PM

212 posts, read 727,252 times
It happened again. I fed my kids spaghetti-O's out of the can tonight. Of course I have been laying sod most of the afternoon and was too tired to put much thought into dinner. A side from the squirrl and furry friends, alot of great ideas I'm gonna try someday.
LORI

Old 10-28-2006, 03:23 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Yeah, I could have deflea'd the squirrels first.. We do have Krispy Kreme here, but I don't like them much. I would if they weren't so thoroughly covered in that sickenly sweet icing that makes my teeth ring. I also (I know it's too much info...) get diarrhea from Krispy Kreme donuts.
On the other hand, we have LaMar's donuts out of Kansas City here...YUMMERS... a completely opposite donut to Krispy's. These are cakey, thick, not overly sweet and I can eat a dozen! No problems with my exhaust pipe hours later either
But I guess my fate is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich tonight.
I guess you love or hate the Krispy Kreme.... I LOVE them. I haven't tasted anything too sweet for me yet
We bought apple butter from The Moose Cafe in Asheville N.C. and it makes the best P&J sandwich I've ever had!

Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 AM

212 posts, read 667,451 times
Our family loves having breakfast for dinner! When my kids are claiming starvation and I just don't feel like cooking we have a "fenfer" night. Fenfer is what we call leftovers. I don't remember how it started but fenfer is short/slang for "Fend for" as in fend for yourself - mom is tired!!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:25 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
That's REALLY bizarre! I never heard of anyone eating squirrels! Or racoons! Dog, cat, alligator...But never squirrel or racoon! So Electron, you don't like racoon, but ILNC does...Interesting...I don't eat meat, but I used to, and it seems those animals are small & furry with not much meat! Like eating a rat!
That's why they are known as tree rats! Now the racoons, I guess I have hit one too many in the road to find them tasty. Hitting a racoon is like hitting a tree stump, in my experience. Plus the fact that nature provides us with so many tasty critters, I find it hard to eat one that digs through the trash. Rodents like groundhogs, beaver, and varmints like coons and possums just never appealed to me. Thankfully times weren't that hard growing up. I really don't need to hunt squirrels, either. But they are fun to hunt and downright as tasty as deer when properly prepared.
Now let me ask you this, what made you stop eating meat? If you don't mind sharing. If it's a touchy subject, I'm cool with it. I have a daughter that will only eat venison. She, like most of my kids, can tell if it's beef, and she won't eat it. The girl won't even eat bacon, but cook up some deer tenderloin and she's chowing down. I see her being an all-veggie girl down the road.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,301,181 times
I stopped eating meat after learning what goes on in factory farming.
Cruel, & gross. Sure it tastes good, but (not to sound "high & mighty" )
taste is not a good enough reason to abandon my morals and eat meat.
It's like if someone had super high cholestorol - is it really worth dying for the taste?
To me taste is not worth killing over. There are plenty of other things that taste good.
And unfortunately, I don't count veggies among them!
I do make myself eat salad though, & when I'm not too lazy I'll fry up some peppers & onions.
I also eat frozen organic entrees with veggies.
Fruit is at least SWEET!
So there you have it. Not trying to start a debate, (there are other threads about that topic anyway)
just answering your question.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
tonight I baked a Baron's pepperoni pizza. I added my own mozarella over what was already on it and also another half again as much as sliced pepperoni, then baked it. YUM. Cheaper than Dominoes with a lot more cheese and pepperoni too I also bought sharp cheddar cheese so I can try that Crockpot mac and cheese recipe I read on here (and I just finished a BlueBell vanilla ice cream sundae with Hershey's Chocolate syrup over it )

Old 10-31-2006, 04:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I stopped eating meat after learning what goes on in factory farming.
Cruel, & gross. Sure it tastes good, but (not to sound "high & mighty" )
taste is not a good enough reason to abandon my morals and eat meat.
It's like if someone had super high cholestorol - is it really worth dying for the taste?
To me taste is not worth killing over. There are plenty of other things that taste good.
And unfortunately, I don't count veggies among them!
I do make myself eat salad though, & when I'm not too lazy I'll fry up some peppers & onions.
I also eat frozen organic entrees with veggies.
Fruit is at least SWEET!
So there you have it. Not trying to start a debate, (there are other threads about that topic anyway)
just answering your question.

Well thanks for the reply. I figured it had something to do with commercial agriculture. For the record, the only domesticated critters I eat are the free range chickens and personally raised beef. The medications and other toxic waste that is pumped into livestock by the big producers is just scary to me. It makes the grocery bill high for everything else, but we don't buy any meat outside of fish and chicken. Don't think I could make it on just fruit though.

BTW, admin and mods, I don't like the idea that I have to dish out some rep to others before I can give some more to elfyum here.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,168,223 times
Last night I had homemade Mexican food (just fajita burritos and tequitos). That really filled me and my roommate up. It was really good.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 AM

232 posts, read 745,416 times
Hehe, for my family almost anything would do as long as I had a big bowl of brussels sprouts for my little boy. He is absolutely addicted to them

We also love soups and I keep several packages of dried soups like the Bear Creek stuff in a drawer. Boil water with a frozen chicken breast or two in it; remove breast, chop and set aside, add soup package and whatever frozen veggies you feel like (if any). 10 minutes later add chicken back in, cook 5 more mins on stove and dinner is served.

Oh a personal favorite is to hit the grocer on the way home and with pick up a nice precooked chicken and a pack of salad or a pound of precooked shrimp for shrimp cocktails. Minutes to the table and voila hunger is defeated

BTW you can buy those instant ramen packages for the noodles. Throw away the nasty flavored salt packages that come with them. Buy a GOOD QUALITY brand of buillion, it won't have a lot of salt and it will have a lot of flavor. This is great for the cupboard.
Boil some noodles, add any leftover veggies or meat in the fridge and some of your favorite buillion. MMM.........tasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink