U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM

232 posts, read 745,767 times

Advertisements

LOL, I was telling hubby about this thread. He says don't forget rice.....it makes a meal out of anything. He likes to make a big batch at the beginning of the week when it is his turn to cook. He uses it in different dishes throughout the week. His suggestions:

Add a cooked can of any cream soup over cooked rice.(he uses half the milk recommended because he like the soup thick.
Spray a hot pan with a bit of oil and fry rice with whatever veggies and meat is in the fridge/freezer.
Add milk and sugar to make cereal.
Fry a couple chops and make a quick cream gravy for the rice. (don't forget the frozen brussel sprouts )

As you can tell, we are big on the frozen stuff, veggies are fresher and more nutrients and you can just make the bit you want and put the rest away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,523,143 times
Tonight I think I'll make gorgozonla , walnuts and pear salad with some grilled tuna steak ( very rare). I also bought some coffee ice cream for dessert. Yummm...

Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Default What's for dinner

Tonight we cooked a whole chicken on the BBQ in this manner. You wash the whole chicken, spice it anyway you like. I use black pepper, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and Essence on the outside. Inside the chicken you put several sprigs of rosemary that you pounded a little first with a rolling pin. Put the chicken with the rosemary inside it over an opened tall can of Guinness beer. Just put the chicken right over the opened can and let it slide all the way over it and put that whole thing in your BBQ and cover. Let it cook slowly for about 2 hrs. Very good. We also had potato salad and steamed peas.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM

59 posts, read 124,499 times
Default Quick. What's for supper

I have a quick idea from my mom. Cut up leftover meat. Throw in vegetables. Cover with bread slices. Combine eggs, a little milk, some cheese, dices onions, peppers, garlic clove and your fav cheese. Pour over meat and veggies. Bake until cheese bubbles.
Our fav is sausages, bacon, frozen mixed veggies and a sharp cheese.
You can mix and match or delete any items and it still tastes great.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM

10 posts, read 44,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
Hello, city-data family and friends. I pose a question, Do you ever get an awful feeling about 4:30 pm when you realize that you have no idea what to fix for dinner, the family is going to be claming STARVATION in a few minutes and you have no clue what to fix? Maybe i'm the only one with this problem. When I make menus I feel like I am just fixing the same things over and over again. Has anybody got any favorite recipies, dinner ideas or maybe a new spin on an old favorite? Friends, Family lets band together and help each other!! Save my family from another dinner disaster.

Note: Martha Stewart clones need not write in. At this point it is about new ideas not presentation. (said in fun)
A simple meal (I usually throw together on a friday night) is potatoes and eggs.

take 2 or 3 large baking potatoes and peel and dice them.
Add a little oil and butter to a very large fry pan.........
Saute til almost crisp.
Meanwhile, whisk about 10-12 eggs and add a little milk (1/4 cup)
When potatoes are done add salt and pepper and eggs to fry pan. Cook and keep turning til eggs are done.
I usually serve whole wheat toast with everyone's favorite jam.
Some hot chocolate for the kids and coffee for the grownups.
Nice comfort food!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,768,343 times
I had Corn Bread, Fried Green Tomatoes, Roasted Red Potatoes and BBQ Chicken. I love Fried Green Tomatoes I could eat a whole plate full of just them.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,950,213 times
Whats for Dinner??? ... tonight its my favorite meal in the world: breakfast. As the pan is heating I type this... two tablespoons of olive oil, lined with baby portobella slices... cook down... crack two large brown eggs over when reduced... twist peppercorn grinder over the top (heavily in my case), smaller twist of sea salt... let it go for a few minutes... get rye toast in toaster... add cheese over the top of the eggs and mushrooms... butter toast, slip the eggs, shrooms, cheese on to a microwave warmed plate. Eat. I'm having center cut bacon on the side tonight though. I'm very nearly a breakfast "sikko".

Last edited by The716; 07-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: lousy spelling

Old 07-07-2007, 08:00 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,502,098 times
The original post mentioned being in a hurry to cook for a very hungry crew. I've seen some great reciepes on this thread but many are quite fancy. Here is a quick bite that is super quick but not fancy at all. Nuke hot dogs and roll them up in tortillas, serve with baked beans, nuked of coarse ! Tell the family to pretend they're camping !

Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 31,700 times
Guess...

Old 07-07-2007, 03:03 PM

325 posts, read 974,727 times
One meal that I make every once in a while is a quick "poor folks" chicken parmesean. I will fry some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Then I will put some ragu green pepper and mushroom spaghetti sauce on top of the chicken breast top it with mozzerella cheese and throw it in the oven for about 10 minutes......long enough for the cheese to melt. Serve the chicken over hot spaghetti noodles.......with maybe a little xtra sauce......Its great!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink