U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times

Advertisements

That sounds good pricess, I will try it. Does the chicken breast cook completely that fast? I love quick recipes that taste good!
Now and then I like to cook this quick dish where you cut a english muffins in half and put both halfs on a small dish with sides. Break an egg over each half. Gently pierce each yolk with a toothpick just so it does not explode. On top of that add a slice of Canadian bacon and on that shredded cheddar cheese. Top it all off by pouring maybe a half cup of whipping cream over it all and cover the dish with plastic wrap loosly. Microwave it long enough to cook the egg where the yolk still runs (if you like it that way, longer if you do not). It is a complete meal.
Tonight we are having steak and eggs. I am not a big breakfast person but do like breakfast for dinner now and then. I will broil a seasoned steak and then cook eggs sunny side up and put them on top. I'll make some toast and I'm good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 PM

325 posts, read 974,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
That sounds good pricess, I will try it. Does the chicken breast cook completely that fast? I love quick recipes that taste good!
Now and then I like to cook this quick dish where you cut a english muffins in half and put both halfs on a small dish with sides. Break an egg over each half. Gently pierce each yolk with a toothpick just so it does not explode. On top of that add a slice of Canadian bacon and on that shredded cheddar cheese. Top it all off by pouring maybe a half cup of whipping cream over it all and cover the dish with plastic wrap loosly. Microwave it long enough to cook the egg where the yolk still runs (if you like it that way, longer if you do not). It is a complete meal.
Tonight we are having steak and eggs. I am not a big breakfast person but do like breakfast for dinner now and then. I will broil a seasoned steak and then cook eggs sunny side up and put them on top. I'll make some toast and I'm good!
Yes, I fry the chicken completely through 15-20 minutes before i put it into the oven.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM

150 posts, read 473,994 times
pork buritos cut up 5-6 pork chops in small squares marinate in 4 tablespoons lime juce 2 tea spoond salt, ground blackpepper to taste, pinch of dill, garlic powder, chilli powder, cumin, 2 table spoons olive oil. Fry in skillet until watter is cooked off and meat is browned. Cook some rice 2cups rice 4cups water 1 Tablespoon cilli powder 1 tea spoon salt. Put in burito shells with chese, tomatoes, leatice, ranch/sour cream, salsa. realy good just made it tonight for first time.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM

420 posts, read 1,128,535 times
Default dinner on a bun

If I have some leftover steak or chicken (it's already cooked) I will make dinner on a bun.

Cut a hoagie roll in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the soft inside. You are making a place to put your veggies/meat. Put the scooped out bread (in bite size pieces) in a large bowl lightly sprinkle with olive oil, and a little garlic and onion powder. Spread on a cookie sheet and put under broiler to toast. This you can use on your salad like croutons.

Slice:
green bell peppers (also red and yellow if you have them)
onion
mushrooms
(in other words, stir fry veggies)

Saute peppers and onion until still firm, add thinly slice already cooked steak or chicken, and mushrooms, cook another 5 minutes or so--until vegetables are tender and meat is hot. You might want to season it to your liking (i.e. salt, pepper, etc)
Toast the roll under the broiler until lightly toasted. Put your veggie/meat mixture in and place cheese on top (swiss or provolone are great). Put back under the broiler only until cheese melts a little.
Have a green salad (with your homemade crouton) and pieces of in season fresh fruit and dinner is ready. Usually, you can even buy prepackaged stir fry veggies in produce or in the meat department (next to stir fry meats) and forget about the homemade croutons if you are in a big hurry.

Last edited by princessvanessa; 07-08-2007 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 AM

718 posts, read 2,113,984 times
Another quick idea for chicken parmesan, I like to buy the Italian breaded chicken strips from Sam's. Always have some in the freezer! You can cook the from the freezer, not thawing needed. Just use your favorite jar of sauce, or homemade if you prefer, top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, fresh is best. Just bake according to directions on chicken box. I usually cover with foil until the very end, so cheese does not burn.

Pick up a loaf of french bread, mix some garlic and butter together in the food processor, lather bread and bake until golden brown. (Or Texas toast if you prefer, a lot easier). Add a salad, and that is a great meal, even my kids love!!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
If you're tired of plain broiled chicken, make a Thai peanut sauce to go with -- peanut butter, chicken broth, grated ginger, hot pepper sauce, brown sugar. I might be missing an ingredient or two, but the recipe is available on the internet.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,615,438 times
Chicken and bisquits - I use the heart healthy brand of bisquit mix to make drop bisquits, they get crispier and they're easier to make. Depending on how much you want to make, I add 3 large cans (low sodium if you can find it) of chicken(juice and all) to a pot add some water so you'll have some sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and add some cornstarch mixed in water of course to thicken. Just break up the bisquits on the plate and pour over the chicken gravy. Quick, easy and soooo good. Comfort food to me, I was fortunate enough to grow up on the farm with my Grandparents, this was one of my Gramma's old standby's. My husband loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink