U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hum, I try to eat mainly fat and protein.......1-2 slices ain't going to cut it.

I am happy buying fresh or frozen meat at a reasonable price.........prostitutti-meat is not in my budget, much too fru-fru and Hipsterish.
Hipsterish? This is such on old style cut of meat it's historic! I get it, it's not for you....but your attitude about it is.....bizarre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 PM

904 posts, read 813,703 times
Quote:
Hum, I try to eat mainly fat and protein.......1-2 slices ain't going to cut it.

I am happy buying fresh or frozen meat at a reasonable price.........prostitutti-meat is not in my budget, much too fru-fru and Hipsterish.
Don't think I've ever imagined it as fru fru or hipsterish. It's been around forever. Certainly not like a caviar or something.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
20 bucks a pound for fracking LUNCH-MEAT........that has a very, very high fru-fruosity factor, no doubt about it.

No regular barfbags buying meat at that price....can't even pronounce the name. The Whole-foods Hipsters, and the like, buying that fancy meat, not me or other regular folks.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Quote:
20 bucks a pound for fracking LUNCH-MEAT........that has a very, very high fru-fruosity factor, no doubt about it.

No regular barfbags buying meat at that price....can't even pronounce the name. The Whole-foods Hipsters, and the like, buying that fancy meat, not me or other regular folks.
Lol if you think prosciutto is just lunch meat, don't waste your money!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:33 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:

Prosciutto is not simple lunch meat like Oscar Meyer.
It has been around since about the 2nd century.
It is not something you slap on a couple pieces of white bread with miracle whip and have a sandwich, chips and a pop.
It is used for many dishes but a lunch meat sandwich is definitely not one of those dishes.
It is also not remotely close to being "fru-fruosity" (whatever in hades that is supposed to mean).

Please leave the Prosciutto at the market, those of us who appreciate it and know how to use it properly will be happy to purchase your share.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
...that has a very, very high fru-fruosity factor, no doubt about it...Hipsters, and the like, buying that fancy meat, not me or other regular folks...
Yep - that's me - I'm the poster-child for frou-frou hipster fads .

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?

mmmm, Parma prosciutto is the best, I buy it online and have it in my home in 2 days time coming from Parma itself.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Guess I am the crazy one for thinking 20 bucks a pound for Hipster-Ham is quite kooky........yes, I am the crazy one!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
...yes, I am the crazy one!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL - you said it, own it or deny it - apparently, that's how it works.

I'm thinking you've spent WAAAAY too much time on the prosciutto subject, trust me.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
My mother used to make "ham pie" Easter time with the stuff. I have no clue what the recipe was, but it was good. Only time I saw it in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink