U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 AM

486 posts, read 555,219 times

Advertisements

I agree that it's odd that the OP never tried prosciutto until recently, and even odder that several people think that $20/lb. is the highest priced item they've ever seen. I have lost track of who said what to some degree in this crazy thread, but I believe someone named tickyul is the one who thinks that everything they don't understand is "hipster"-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM

15,194 posts, read 15,225,705 times
OK, that golden face-wash.........salicylic-acid, I can buy it at the dollar store, for a DOLLAR. Or I could go to Walmart and buy their brand for 3.99.......or I could got to Tahr-jay and buy the Neutrogena brand for 7.99. Pretty much the same stuff, no matter what snotty/upper-crust labeling they put on it.

The skinny-jeans that you snotty Yupsters are so hot on, I could go out and buy a 200 dollar pair and wear those......or MAYBE my 9 dollar cheapo pants work just fine.

Do I REALLY need to go out and buy some $20 a pound Yupster-sandwich-loaf to keep up with the Joneses and make truly snooty people happy??????

Maybe my choice of lowly ham-sandwich-slices justifies the hatred and bile directed my way.......if that is true, truly a sad statement about humanity.

UMMMMM, delusional people actually believe that peasants paid 20 bucks for a pound of lunch-loaf?????

Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,143,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
...Maybe my choice of lowly ham-sandwich-slices justifies the hatred and bile directed my way...
I fail to sense the "hatred and bile" directed at you, and the mods certainly wouldn't allow it. If you don't like prosciutto, no worries - just don't disparage those of us who do like it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,487,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, that golden face-wash.........salicylic-acid, I can buy it at the dollar store, for a DOLLAR. Or I could go to Walmart and buy their brand for 3.99.......or I could got to Tahr-jay and buy the Neutrogena brand for 7.99. Pretty much the same stuff, no matter what snotty/upper-crust labeling they put on it.

The skinny-jeans that you snotty Yupsters are so hot on, I could go out and buy a 200 dollar pair and wear those......or MAYBE my 9 dollar cheapo pants work just fine.

Do I REALLY need to go out and buy some $20 a pound Yupster-sandwich-loaf to keep up with the Joneses and make truly snooty people happy??????

Maybe my choice of lowly ham-sandwich-slices justifies the hatred and bile directed my way.......if that is true, truly a sad statement about humanity.

UMMMMM, delusional people actually believe that peasants paid 20 bucks for a pound of lunch-loaf?????
Lol!

Wow, I'm guessing you won't be into the San Daniele Prosciutto festival then!

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 06-02-2014 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 AM

3,683 posts, read 5,628,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Apparently the OP somehow managed to get to adult age without knowing about prosciutto then just compounded the whole ignoramus game by having no clue what a hipster is either.

Dude must be continually incredulous at the world.

Apparently you are confusing me with tickyul.
Also, I never said it was 20 bucks a pound...I said twenty something which translates into 26 bucks...and it smells like dirty ol socks.
Lastly, "if you don't like the rules, don't play the game."

Waylon Jennings - Don't Play The Game - YouTube

Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?
IT shouldn't be so chewy. It should definitely not taste like cheese. I don't think you had good prosciutto or maybe you just didn't like it. If you ask me between Serrano Ham and prosciutto give me Serrano.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,591,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Apparently the OP somehow managed to get to adult age without knowing about prosciutto then just compounded the whole ignoramus game by having no clue what a hipster is either.

Dude must be continually incredulous at the world.

I have/had no idea of either. I only know I would be banned if I said your words.....fact.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM

486 posts, read 555,219 times
I've never had chewy prosciutto in my life. I love the stuff, and not for any perceived snob-factor. It's just delicious. I had no idea that people would not have seen it before in the deli. We have a lot of Italian grocers around here, so it's not unusual at all.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM

16,317 posts, read 12,591,173 times
Now I want a prosciutto sandwich!

Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 22,843,488 times
The whole rant was off topic. If you don't like it, don't eat it. Save it for those of us who can appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink