U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,256,024 times

Advertisements

The funny thing about people that rant about wasting money on something like this is they usually waste much more money on something far less worthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I agree that it's odd that the OP never tried prosciutto until recently, and even odder that several people think that $20/lb. is the highest priced item they've ever seen. I have lost track of who said what to some degree in this crazy thread, but I believe someone named tickyul is the one who thinks that everything they don't understand is "hipster"-ish.
For those who think it is the highest price they have seen, try pricing meat at Fresh Market and I imagine the same with Whole foods. I am not talking ground beef, I am talking Lamb or top quality beef or what about Lobster and Crab? Add to that, remember prosciutto is used in very small amounts, a LB lasts most of us a long, long, time. A lb of Crab or Lobster is just enough for one person, in some cases.

Let me add to this: for those of you who think only snobs or those who want to keep up with the Jone's buy it, you really do not understand. We live on a fixed budget, we are retired and I do watch every penny I spend on food. Considering the way we eat our food bill is pretty low and I still buy things like Lobster and yes, prosciutto once in awhile. I balance it off with cheapo something else. Like I do not buy canned beans, I buy them by the sack. We buy 90% of our food on sale or use coupons, but I also like to splurge from time to time. For those who do not like things like prosciutto don't buy it, but don't put down those of us who want to enjoy it from time to time.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For those who think it is the highest price they have seen, try pricing meat at Fresh Market and I imagine the same with Whole foods. I am not talking ground beef, I am talking Lamb or top quality beef or what about Lobster and Crab? Add to that, remember prosciutto is used in very small amounts, a LB lasts most of us a long, long, time. A lb of Crab or Lobster is just enough for one person, in some cases..

I generally order it by the slice and the total cost is UNDER $2. It is hardly an unaffordable luxury.

I think that most people order it by the 1/4 lb.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I generally order it by the slice and the total cost is UNDER $2. It is hardly an unaffordable luxury.

I think that most people order it by the 1/4 lb.
that comes closer to how we do it: either a piece or two, or a package of it at Sam's because it freezer well. If I want more than a few slices and am at the meat and deli dept of our local store I buy 1/4 of a lb.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,097,342 times
I've always bought the prepackaged kind, but now you guys have me wondering if I shouldn't buy it out of the deli. I guess I will have to try that next time I make my special chicken dish. Sometimes our deli doesn't slice things thin enough for my preference, so I'd worry about them getting a paper thin slice on the prosciutto, but I guess I won't know until I try!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 AM

668 posts, read 460,120 times
Mmmmm, prosciutto is one of the special love letters God wrote to us ;-p .... absolutely divine. I also will generally buy it by the 1/4 pound for certain applications, or even just to have cafe style, sitting on my back porch with some equally good slices of cheese and a fresh baguette.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've always bought the prepackaged kind, but now you guys have me wondering if I shouldn't buy it out of the deli. I guess I will have to try that next time I make my special chicken dish. Sometimes our deli doesn't slice things thin enough for my preference, so I'd worry about them getting a paper thin slice on the prosciutto, but I guess I won't know until I try!
If you buy it at the deli counter, 1) make sure that they slice it micro-thin and 2) make sure that they wrap it for the freezer.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I agree that it's odd that the OP never tried prosciutto until recently, and even odder that several people think that $20/lb. is the highest priced item they've ever seen. I have lost track of who said what to some degree in this crazy thread, but I believe someone named tickyul is the one who thinks that everything they don't understand is "hipster"-ish.
Heh yeah obviously the OP hasn't ever priced a good quality smoke salmon. I've seen some places sell it for over $45/lb (I pay under $15/lb but my fishmonger is a closely guarded local secret).

Regarding prosciutto - as some folks have already stated, it's not really something you eat all by itself, on a plate or in a sandwich. My favorite way to eat it is a wafer-thin slice wrapped around a chunk of provolone cheese and stuffed into a hollowed-out cherry pepper. That's probably one of the most common ways to eat it, besides wrapped around a chunk of ripe cantaloupe.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM

569 posts, read 530,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heh yeah obviously the OP hasn't ever priced a good quality smoke salmon. I've seen some places sell it for over $45/lb (I pay under $15/lb but my fishmonger is a closely guarded local secret).

Regarding prosciutto - as some folks have already stated, it's not really something you eat all by itself, on a plate or in a sandwich. My favorite way to eat it is a wafer-thin slice wrapped around a chunk of provolone cheese and stuffed into a hollowed-out cherry pepper. That's probably one of the most common ways to eat it, besides wrapped around a chunk of ripe cantaloupe.
Oh man! Now you have done it! Will be obsessed with this all day. Counting down til I can get to the store.....

Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 AM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Sorry, I have not adapted to PAPER THIN slices of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink