U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 PM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times

Advertisements

I love prosciutto and eat it often. But the OP should realize that eating it alone is not really the way it's meant to be served. It's meant to be part of a mixed cheese and meat plate, or wrapped around slightly cooked asparagus, or wrapped around shrimp then fried, or around a bread stick, or as a topping with arugula on a perfectly thin wood fired Italian pizza, or wrapped around melon, or as part of veal saltamboca. . .

And it's supposed to be cut paper thin. Thick prosciutto is an abomination.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Good stuff! I've ordered the jamon from Authentic Spanish Food from Spain at LaTienda.com...
Yep - that's my source too. However, I pay out the nose because I buy the pre-sliced. I first found the site when I purchased some Tiger Nuts (Chufa Nuts) from them.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Prosciutto is delicious. It's meat - can't go wrong with that! Google prosciutto di Parma for more info.

The trick is to take small bites, chew, swallow. Don't try to masticate an entire slice in one mouthful - you'll either chew forever, gag, and or/spit the whole wad out. That's akin to someone getting sick drunk on top shelf booze - what a waste. It tears very easily so pull off enough without going full throttle.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM

8,221 posts, read 12,809,728 times
I'm not a huge fan of uncooked prosciutto, I love the taste of it but it is difficult to chew and gets stuck in my teeth. But I LOVE prosciutto wrapped around chicken or salmon and baked. It goes all crispy, it's like a delicate, thin bacon - beautiful.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
Prosciutto - it's brilliant for cooking because a very little bit goes a long, long way.

It's everywhere here because we have a huge italian population.

It doesn't look so good, like most Italian cuisine, but it packs a flavour punch that is delicious especially in combinations.

Kinda like anchovies.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Love prosciutto! especially with cantaloupe, or wrapped around those short thick seeded breadsticks and even cooked asparagus and fresh mozzarella.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:28 PM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?

Some people will pay a lot for wine. Or cheese. Or anything else because they enjoy it. Doesn't always have to be a snobbery thing. Personally, I just like to snack on it occasionally---not something I'd buy all of the time.

Then again, I had no idea prosciutto was a "snobby" food because it's available in practically almost every single deli/market around here.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
I love proscuitto and other dry hams. Some of these are really expensive because the hogs are fed special diets to get a specific flavor to the meat and/or they are made from the choicest cuts, meticulously butchered, cured with special ingredients, smoked with specific wood species, and/or dried udner stringent conditions. All that special processing adds up in the end price. $20/lb is actually relatively "generic" proscuitto -- just lean pork (may be the ham, may be the shoulder), cured and dried, with maybe a special diet or a few special ingredients in the curing brine.

Since it's dry, it's not the best eating a slice all by itself. It's much better paired with something like cheese, olives, eggs, asparagus and fruit. Proscuitto and melon, figs, pears, strawberries, peaches, apples.... mmmmmm. Proscuitto on an antipasti plate with soppressata, capicola, salami, parmesan & romano slivers, fresh mozz, smoke provolone, tri-color olives, marinated mushrooms & artichokes, roasted red pepper, pickle peperoncini.... drooling.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I love proscuitto and other dry hams. Some of these are really expensive because the hogs are fed special diets to get a specific flavor to the meat and/or they are made from the choicest cuts, meticulously butchered, cured with special ingredients, smoked with specific wood species, and/or dried udner stringent conditions. All that special processing adds up in the end price. $20/lb is actually relatively "generic" proscuitto -- just lean pork (may be the ham, may be the shoulder), cured and dried, with maybe a special diet or a few special ingredients in the curing brine.

Since it's dry, it's not the best eating a slice all by itself. It's much better paired with something like cheese, olives, eggs, asparagus and fruit. Proscuitto and melon, figs, pears, strawberries, peaches, apples.... mmmmmm. Proscuitto on an antipasti plate with soppressata, capicola, salami, parmesan & romano slivers, fresh mozz, smoke provolone, tri-color olives, marinated mushrooms & artichokes, roasted red pepper, pickle peperoncini.... drooling.
Aw yum.....

I marinate my own mushrooms and roast my own red pepper.

Antipasto is food of the Gods.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Tony Soprano ate it. He called it prazhoot. He also ate cappicola. He called it cabbagool. Now while I enjoy cabbagool, you can have my share of the prazhoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink