U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:52 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,315,901 times

Advertisements

mmmmm I love a good Prosciutto (we are talking Crudo and not Cotto right) but even more Spanish Jamón serrano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
...but even more Spanish Jamón serrano.
Shift that palate to the next gear and go for jamón ibérico.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Or mix it up some more and go German with Black Forest (juniper cure & fir smoke) or Westphalian (beech & juniper smoke).

Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,315,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yes I know.

Black Forrest "Schwälderschinken" is ok but the Spanish stuff is still the best :-).

Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,384,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?
I love it! I first had it when I lived in Sicily. MMmmm - with some fresh tomatoes and mozzarella - yumm.

I'll occasionally buy it when it is on sale at good old HEB. I've never seen it for 20 dollars a lb though.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Uh, I bought "some" because I wanted others that have never had it to try it too. And, I certainly will leave it for those who can "appreciate" it. lol

Also, I don't worry about what other people buy. If you think it's pointless then you, like I, are entitled to our opinions.

My post was a reaction to something I never had tried in my life. You're right though....an explanation from you would go in one ear and out the other. My not liking it is as valid as someone gushing over it. One just not as flowery as the other. It's a forum...

I have appreciated some of the suggestions and ideas from others. Perhaps I'll cook the rest up and see how that goes...mixing it with some of the ideas here. Lastly, I considered it a "snobby" thing based on the price.
Make a pizza with it - yummy - the edges get crisp and tasty

Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it's just used/eaten in small quantities. Another way you'll see it is in a pasta dish. Say, something like fettucine with mushrooms and peas and a cream sauce, and there will be thin strips of prosciutto in there. It adds flavor.

A favorite dish of mine is veal saltimbocca, which is veal (you can also make this with chicken) layered with prosciutto and cheese on top of a bed of spinach.
Forgot about tortellini ala panna with prosciutto mixed it!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times
I checked out that online store in Spain which offers FREE SHIPPING: 14.50 lb ham for $1290. or a 13.33 lb ham on sale for $895. Sometimes I'm a sucker for free shipping, sometimes not....

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,575,545 times
They sell Jamon Iberico in the US now, you don't need a whole leg.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,633,154 times
Quote:
Ok, so I'm at the deli at HEB today and saw a hunk of meat called "prosciutto". It's on sale mind you for twenty something a pound. Jokingly in my mind I'm thinkin..."wow, what a deal!" The gal before me was getting samples of it and she kept exclaiming how good it was. I think she ate 10 bucks worth before it was my turn.

I asked a couple of other gals waiting in line if they knew what kind of meat it was. No one seemed to know. That made me feel better. So I tried a sample as I've never had it before...and I'm old. End result...what is the big deal? It's really, really chewy...I thought I'd choke before I masticated enough. I kept wanting to gag. I bought a few slices for the crew at home to see their reaction, (probably about two dollars worth...sliced see-through thin). It did kinda taste like cheese though...chewy cheese, that is.

I did ask the meat guy what it is and he said it's pork. I'm still not sure which part of the animal it is so I better google that. The label says Italy so I guess the pigs there must be awfully well taken care of at twenty something a pound. The best part of the whole deal is in the asking..."ah, excuse me...may I have a few slices of the prosciutto?" It's an opportunity to act like a snob. However, the experience isn't worth twenty something a pound...on sale.

Please tell me what is so special about it?

It was a peasant food and permitted long storage. One family pig raised for a long time then butchered to provide many products, some long-lasting in the hot climate. It has equivalents in many cultures that raised pigs - like Serrano ham. Your comment portrays inverse snobbery, a proudness about how ignorant, how "common-man"one can be. Ask the deli guy for Beher brand jamon next time.

Stick to the Hormel buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink