U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times

Advertisements

I've had slow-roasted caribou with garlic only once, and it was awesome. Otherwise, I'm totally NOT a fan of game meat of any kind, and I probably wouldn't have liked the caribou if it had been prepared any other way. It wasn't expensive - it was free. My friend's husband shot it himself when he went hunting. It's also not especially odd in Maine and parts of Canada. But it was pretty odd here in Connecticut

There's a fish market near me that gets wild-caught sock-eye salmon that a friend of theirs smokes for them, and then they slice it to order. The commercial stuff in the supermarkets is very expensive - something like $40/pound (sold in 2-3-ounce packages). The fresh-smoked stuff I get is actually less expensive, because there's like - no overhead at all, no pre-packaging, no labels, no vacuum seal, and the market's owners do zero advertising and actually asked me NOT to tell anyone the name of the place because they both have arthritis and have difficulty slicing the fish. They just offer it as a courtesy for their regular customers. They also sell overstuffed *fresh* picked hot buttered lobster rolls for only $7. Crazy couple but they've been in business for around 40 years and refuse to retire (they're in their 80s and have no employees). The tiny shop itself is an oddity, and that salmon is definitely a delicacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,233,693 times
Oo that reminds me of another too expensive delicacy that I love - blazing salmon (salmon or rainbow trout that is nailed to planks standing vertically round an open fire and cooked that way - delightful mix of grilled and smoked which makes it doubly delicious)

Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM

3,596 posts, read 3,579,986 times
Mangosteen. Expensive over here (>$10/lb), but over in Asia you can buy kilos for $3. Greatest fruit in the world. Food fit for a god.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:24 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,684,911 times
I love marinated artichoke hearts as well but I really love a quality Brie or Camembert cheese. Found out my daughter at age 5 also loved Brie cheese. So every Christmas we go alone to the specialty cheese shop in our community and buy about 50$ worth of specialty cheeses for our own consumption.
The rest of the family is happy with Kraft. And I also love the rind on Brie. What a shame to cut it off.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 4,319,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sturgeon or beluga whale?

I won't eat beluga.
This really did make me LOL. Gotta avoid those whale eggs

I love caviar, and usually do a grand "caviar tasting" annually on my birthday (which is in two days, hint, hint). We generally order it online--we just moved here to the Houston 'burbs, so while we could most likely buy it locally now, I guess I'll have to skip it this year after all the moving chaos we're still dealing with. .

My favorites are, believe it or not, domestic farm-raised Siberian Sturgeon & Paddlefish. I like it just as well as the imported versions, & it really is not that expensive.

I agree with Dirt Grinder on the jamon. I also love to get the different salmon species direct from Alaska on their annual runs, & I adore the differences merroir makes in oysters--just like terroir does in the fine wines I also enjoy.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM

14,320 posts, read 17,538,176 times
Prosciutto

Hot soppressata

Soft shell crabs

Soft Shell shrimp (I've only ever been able to get them as a special at Lotus of Siam in Vegas.

JUMBO King crab legs (which we stopped buying when they hit $18/lb and I haven't even seen them in the grocery stores in years. We don't bother with the regular ones or snow crab legs)

Salted black licorice (always imported)

Old 05-23-2014, 01:07 PM

642 posts, read 910,249 times
I don't eat them often but I've tried insects and insect larvae that were delicious! Some taste like shrimp which makes sense since they are arthropods too. Some roasted insects have a roasted nutty flavor. They were a major part of the Greek and Roman diet.

Last edited by freepelican; 05-23-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I don't eat them often but I've tried insects and insect larvae that were delicious! Some taste like shrimp which makes sense since they are arthropods too. Some roasted insects have a roasted nutty flavor. They were a major part of the Greek and Romain diet.
I'm with you on the insects - I love them (except grubs ). The flavor is definitely derived from what the insects eat. Roasted mealworms actually taste like pork skins.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,233,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Prosciutto

Hot soppressata

Soft shell crabs

Soft Shell shrimp (I've only ever been able to get them as a special at Lotus of Siam in Vegas.

JUMBO King crab legs (which we stopped buying when they hit $18/lb and I haven't even seen them in the grocery stores in years. We don't bother with the regular ones or snow crab legs)

Salted black licorice (always imported)
Ah salty licorice is delicious! Also Tykisk Pebers Tyrkisk Peber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia although my friends in the UK would always disagree with me about that...

Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
...Salted black licorice (always imported)
My child brought back some salted black licorice for me this week on a trip to IKEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or