U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

11,742 posts, read 16,486,419 times

Advertisements

Good cheese, aged balsamico, salt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM

118,717 posts, read 13,654,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love marinated artichoke hearts as well but I really love a quality Brie or Camembert cheese. Found out my daughter at age 5 also loved Brie cheese. So every Christmas we go alone to the specialty cheese shop in our community and buy about 50$ worth of specialty cheeses for our own consumption.
The rest of the family is happy with Kraft. And I also love the rind on Brie. What a shame to cut it off.
My youngest son and I just go nuts for Camembert/Brie cheese,blue cheese,Gorgonzola and Limburger cheese. Whenever there is a holiday we buy also just for us. Other family members have different taste and choice And I love caviar

Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,156,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
...go nuts for Camembert/Brie cheese,blue cheese,Gorgonzola and Limburger cheese...
Okay, I love smelly cheeses (ever tried Stinking Bishop?), but I purchased some Limburger and the smell was similar to road kill fermenting on a hot summer road. I figured WTH, it'll probably taste good. Uh, no - not only was I bathed in the aroma of rancid road-kill, but now I had a mouthful of rancid road-kill. I just can't handle Limburger - then again, maybe that particular brand isn't representative of all Limburger.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:40 PM

118,717 posts, read 13,654,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Okay, I love smelly cheeses (ever tried Stinking Bishop?), but I purchased some Limburger and the smell was similar to road kill fermenting on a hot summer road. I figured WTH, it'll probably taste good. Uh, no - not only was I bathed in the aroma of rancid road-kill, but now I had a mouthful of rancid road-kill. I just can't handle Limburger - then again, maybe that particular brand isn't representative of all Limburger.
LOL..Limburger does stink and my family tells me to stay away ..but once I eat parsley it evens it out

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM

30,374 posts, read 31,251,406 times
Real Nova Scotia Smoked Salmon is probably one of the more expensive things that I like which I rarely buy but it isn't really odd.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 PM

28 posts, read 23,216 times
Octopus, cooked perfectly tender in a salad with olive oil and lemon or grilled octopus. I would love to be able to cook it but it is very difficult to get right because it can turn to rubber.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,530,586 times
Chinquapins when I lived in Louisiana. A small wild nut, similar to chestnuts, found in several states. I have not seen any since I was last in Louisiana.

HERE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,344,963 times
Expensive:
-Heirloom tomatoes, particularly in the winter when regular commercial "tomatoes" verge on the inedible. A single large-ish tomato can run almost $10, but as an occasional indulgence...
-King crab legs. The kind where the meat inside is as bit around as a baby's forearm, and just about as long.
-Irish butter. Two or three times as expensive as normal butter, but oh so worth it if the butter is to be a focal point. It's almost like a delicate, fatty cheese.
-Imported Prosciutto, preferably with a ripe summer melon.
-Various local and imported cheeses
-Dry roasted macadamia nuts. So much more flavorful than more common kinds of nuts.

Odd:
-Fern fiddleheads, either raw and freshly picked, or sauteed in a bit of butter
-Wild gooseberries and mulberries. Domestic does not seem to have anywhere near the flavor of wild
-Dozens of kinds of wild mushrooms I used to harvest in the woods

Can you tell I have a place in my heart for wild foods? I grew up on a farm, and one of the first things I learned as a child is what you could forage and how to prepare it. We weren't crazy survivalists or anything, it just so happens that natural, wild foods taste delicious!

I am sure there are many other things I love to eat that others would consider odd or expensive, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,682,508 times
I consider garlic stuffed olives and beef jerky delicacies.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM

34,653 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Here, in Georgia, it's lobsters. I'm a New England girl, where lobster is affordable. The Pilgrims thought of it as junk food, and in my youth, visiting my Aunt on Block Island, they fed it to the cats.
This year, my sister in MA paid $3.99 a pound and they cooked it for her.
Some stores carry it, but I'd only pay what they are asking if I thought the lobstermen were getting their share.
New subject: I live 30 minutes from the ocean, but fresh fish is hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or