U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,248,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Expensive:
-Heirloom tomatoes, particularly in the winter when regular commercial "tomatoes" verge on the inedible. A single large-ish tomato can run almost $10, but as an occasional indulgence...
-King crab legs. The kind where the meat inside is as bit around as a baby's forearm, and just about as long.
-Irish butter. Two or three times as expensive as normal butter, but oh so worth it if the butter is to be a focal point. It's almost like a delicate, fatty cheese.
-Imported Prosciutto, preferably with a ripe summer melon.
-Various local and imported cheeses
-Dry roasted macadamia nuts. So much more flavorful than more common kinds of nuts.

Odd:
-Fern fiddleheads, either raw and freshly picked, or sauteed in a bit of butter
-Wild gooseberries and mulberries. Domestic does not seem to have anywhere near the flavor of wild
-Dozens of kinds of wild mushrooms I used to harvest in the woods

Can you tell I have a place in my heart for wild foods? I grew up on a farm, and one of the first things I learned as a child is what you could forage and how to prepare it. We weren't crazy survivalists or anything, it just so happens that natural, wild foods taste delicious!

I am sure there are many other things I love to eat that others would consider odd or expensive, but these are the ones that come to mind.
Wild fruit and veg definitely tastes better than the cultivated kind. I adore wild forest raspberries - tiny but so sweet and full of flavour. Same as wild bilberries (blueberries taste like water compared to them).

Talking of berries reminded me of another expensive delicacy (and odd I suppose as it isn't available outside of the Nordics and possibly Canada) - cloudberries. I hope to pick some when I go up to Lappi this year, they are delicious with cream and sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 AM

513 posts, read 559,739 times
Blood oranges, meyer lemons, dragon fruit.

King Crab legs, soft shell crabs, lobster, clams, basically any crustacean.

Also love macadamia nuts and making plantains. Love when they turn black and chopping them up, tossing in brown sugar and deep frying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or