U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Back to the original question, If you are reviewing a recipe on-line, why can you not just say that the recipe is very rich. Why do you have to add that you, personally, could only take 2 bites?

The only possible reason is that you want to tell the world what a delicate appetite you have, or perhaps how you are so superior about watchng your weight. It's extremely unneeded information and it is personal information. There is no reason to post it on a website that goes out to the entire world.
It's just being descriptive. "The chocolate cake was very rich," tells you the cake was rich. "I am a chocolate cake lover, but this one was so rich I could only take 2 bites," tells you that perhaps, it's too rich for even someone who subjectively likes sweet things and chocolate cake. Few people write recipe reviews being scientific and analytical about it. They write from personal experience and preferences.

If it's one reviewer out of 100 commenting on it being too rich, then I see your point, but if you have a good portion of the reviewers commenting to the effect of it being excessively rich or cloyingly sweet etc. then it's a consideration.

If you want to talk about pointless reviews, how about the ones like this: "I changed ingredients 1 through 5 of 7 complete ingredients and adjusted the preparation method in these 4 ways, and it was absolutely horrible. I threw the whole lot out and I am never making this recipe again!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,676,701 times
Mind over matter. "This is great I can eat the whole thing but I better have a few bites or I'll regret it" is usually the case for me.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:57 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Quote:
Back to the original question, If you are reviewing a recipe on-line, why can you not just say that the recipe is very rich. Why do you have to add that you, personally, could only take 2 bites?

The only possible reason is that you want to tell the world what a delicate appetite you have, or perhaps how you are so superior about watchng your weight. It's extremely unneeded information and it is personal information. There is no reason to post it on a website that goes out to the entire world.
When you're reviewing a recipe, I as a reader, will find it very helpful to know that it was too rich for that reader. That's what a review is supposed to be all about, isn't it?

It's no different than saying you loved it, and ate every bite. Do you find that to be bragging, and telling the world what refined and superior taste you have? Probably not. But I fail to see the difference.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
I can say that when youre a kid and someone tells you some sort of food is rich we pretty much have no idea what youre talking about. Who gives money to food? Did this cake win the lottery? Does this pie have a trust fund?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:22 PM

153 posts, read 145,338 times
The cheesecake I baked recently was pretty rich, and I ate half my usual slices (dimensions).

Old 05-24-2014, 03:30 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I can eat just about anything ... and occasionally do. My life is a Victor Buono poem.

However, my mother's torte's were so overwhelming that I could perhaps down two bites. There are few other things that I could say that about.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM

14,945 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Caloric density, especially when the calories are from fat, have a distinct satiating effect in many people. Moreso than the food volume would neccesarily imply.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 PM

8,868 posts, read 13,847,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
I like to bake and I read lots of recipes on the web, including the comments. Invariably someone posts something to the effect of "it's so rich, I couldn't take more than a few bites". I just don't get that. Am I leaving out an ingredient that magically fills a person up after a few bites? Are these people using shovel sized spoons? The better something tastes, the more of it I want to eat. Am I the only one that finds to whole "being satiated after a few bites" thing abnormal? (Keep in mind I'm totally average weight - not over or under weight.)
I actually agree with them. I don't think it's a filling issue. I think it just overwhelms the taste buds, even when it's awesome. That's how it is for me anyway.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Quote:

If someone has a need to announce it, then it's probably an attempt to brag, imo, though it doesn't come across as superior at all to me.

There are some things that I would only want a little bit of. I've had some cheesecake that was so rich and sweet, and so full of chocolate, cream cheese, egg yolks, etc, that one small bite at a time is perfect. I can love it a lot and still want to eat no more than a very small piece, similar to what someone else said about a rich chocolate bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or