Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect they are people who constantly diet, or else they are healthy food people. They aren't accustomed to eating a lot of fat and normally shun rich foods.

Part of it is a type of bragging. Maybe they can eat the whole thing as soon as no one is looking and they don't have to prove how delicate they are.
Well, I can say for me, it's NOT a type of bragging, nor do I go around the corner and eat it all when no one's looking. It's simply a statement of fact. I would categorize myself as being neither "constantly died" nor "healthy food people." I simply don't like sweets much. I'm one who gravitates more to sour flavors.

Something very sugary, very rich ... I can't eat more than a bit of it all at once. In the sense that I don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
That's my husband and it drives me crazy. He honestly only wants a few bites. His mom didn't give him sweets until he was five. I think he doesn't like sweets as much as I do. Haha

Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
I like to bake and I read lots of recipes on the web, including the comments. Invariably someone posts something to the effect of "it's so rich, I couldn't take more than a few bites". I just don't get that. Am I leaving out an ingredient that magically fills a person up after a few bites? Are these people using shovel sized spoons? The better something tastes, the more of it I want to eat. Am I the only one that finds to whole "being satiated after a few bites" thing abnormal? (Keep in mind I'm totally average weight - not over or under weight.)
eating is more of a formal ritual than a matter of survival, and many folks have quirks when it comes to foods

some folks don't like eating in front of other folks, some folks have ibs, some folks might be borderline diabetic, and avoid sweets,

and don't take this personally, but what if its you?? what if you sneezed all over the food?? or your hands are dirty....remember the Seinfeld show- jerrys girlfriends father /restaurant owner didn't wash his hands in the restroom, so jerry wouldn't eat the dessert...
im saying it can be a 100 different things..

and I've seen that same woman, "who will only have a bite" of one thing, is right in heaven at an all you can eat buffet, 4-5 plates

Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
I like to bake and I read lots of recipes on the web, including the comments. Invariably someone posts something to the effect of "it's so rich, I couldn't take more than a few bites". I just don't get that. Am I leaving out an ingredient that magically fills a person up after a few bites? Are these people using shovel sized spoons? The better something tastes, the more of it I want to eat. Am I the only one that finds to whole "being satiated after a few bites" thing abnormal? (Keep in mind I'm totally average weight - not over or under weight.)
As others have said, it's not about being "full" or satiated after a few bites, it's that the food is so rich or so sweet (or "so" something else), that one or two bites is all you can take without feeling almost ill - even if it is very tasty.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
... Part of it is a type of bragging. Maybe they can eat the whole thing as soon as no one is looking and they don't have to prove how delicate they are.
I know a lot of people like that, including my own mother (who has always been a normal weight). She is obsessed with food. My mother could go to a wedding where the bride caught on fire or a banquet where the main speaker dropped dead. But before she ever mentions that, she will describe everything that was on the buffet table. She goes to a restaurant and you HAVE TO LISTEN to what she might have ordered, what she did order, what it looked like on the plate, every bite she consumed, and what she liked and didn't like about it. But most of the emphasis will be on how much of it she "couldn't" eat (implying, admire me because I didn't overindulge). The only way you can stop her is to walk away. It's like those people who go to a movie and have to relate the entire plot to you even if you were planning to see it. It's compulsive behavior.

And yes, it's bragging. These kind of people are forcing you to hear how they are constantly tempted by this thing they ADORE, yet they remain in control of their lust. My brother blew his stack at Mom one day when he was pouring himself a glass of water. He asked her if she wanted one. Her reply (after a LONG consideration), "Well ... you could pour me half a glass."

Old 05-23-2014, 04:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Rich foods are heavy foods.

Sometimes something is just too sweet.

I don't like mud cake, more than a "few bites" makes me feel like I've just eaten a ton of butter.

Which essentially is what mudcake is.

Tiny portions are the way to go, but apparently that's not the American way.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Very sweet foods are overwhelming to me. I almost never get ice cream, I usually just take a few bites of my husband's, because a couple of bites is all I want. A fun size Snickers is perfect, because I get a small taste of sweet, which is really enough for me.

It's not a matter of getting full or not full off a rich, sweet dessert (or whatever). It's that ultra sweet things are cloying to me and make me feel nauseous, even if I like a small taste.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Rich foods are heavy foods.

Sometimes something is just too sweet.

I don't like mud cake, more than a "few bites" makes me feel like I've just eaten a ton of butter.

Which essentially is what mudcake is.

Tiny portions are the way to go, but apparently that's not the American way.
Not for all Americans no but for some like me I just don't eat a lot of that stuff any longer.
My Mother on the other hand would put a sumo wrestler to shame when it comes to food and she is no bigger than a minute and always has been short and thin.

She is the same as another poster mentioned about their Mother, the first thing she talks about is food no matter what the occassion or even if she did not attend. I am always telling her what we were served at an event before the event itself is talked about.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
No bragging, no statement of healthfulness or otherwise, sometimes I just don't want or can't have more than a few bites of something before it ceases to be an enjoyable experience, so I stop. Whether it's because I've eaten a full dinner beforehand, or it's too sugary, or too rich in other ways or any myriad of other reasons is irrelevant. I'm not going to choke down more just because it's there if I am not going to enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Back to the original question, If you are reviewing a recipe on-line, why can you not just say that the recipe is very rich. Why do you have to add that you, personally, could only take 2 bites?

The only possible reason is that you want to tell the world what a delicate appetite you have, or perhaps how you are so superior about watchng your weight. It's extremely unneeded information and it is personal information. There is no reason to post it on a website that goes out to the entire world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink