U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 10:12 AM

4,940 posts, read 4,646,736 times

Advertisements

For those of you who like Cheerwine and other cherry flavored sodas, if you ever happen across Almond Smash, you should give it a try. In spite of its misleading name, it's also a cherry soda. The manufacturer claims that there's no almond flavor in it, but damn if it doesn't seem to have a hint of almond in it. I guess it's just power of suggestion in action.

Anyway, if you get a chance, check it out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 978,754 times
I don't drink soda anymore, but I used to have an addiction to it. Most of the ones on this list look so good. The only ones I've had on this list are Dad's Root Beer (prefer their Blue Cream Soda), Green River, Big Red, and Dry Soda. Dad's is sold in Iowa, but I haven't seen in 12-or-24 packs (just individual bottles). I used to drink it a lot when I was a kid, and it's pretty good stuff. I love Green River. Some restaurants here offer it, and it really does have a nostalgic flavor. I HATED Big Red. Something about it just tasted off to me. Dry Soda is amazing. I got some at World Market. I think that place has most of the sodas on this list since they specialize in obscure sodas and such. I really want to try Waialua Soda Works. If I were drinking soda again, I'd probably sample all of these, but I'm not going to fall off the wagon. As good as soda is, it's not worth the health risks for me.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:00 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,772,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Originally from NYC. No one mentioned Dr. Brown's Soda!

Like many of the sodas, it was originally a health tonic. His Cel-Ray soda is made with celery seed to improve the health of immigrant children.

It's still popular in NYC. Especially at Jewish delicatessens. My favorite flavors are cream (vanilla) and Cel-Ray. The second is an acquired taste but yes, it tastes like celery soda pop.

Upscale markets around the US have it now. Wegman's and Whole Food.
Thank you!

You stole my thunder!

Doctor Brown's Cel-Ray soda is one of the most uniquely tasting sodas out there. If you want sugar free, Dr. Brown's has excellent "diet" black cherry and cream sodas as well.

Here in Philly they are available in all the kosher delis like Rachael's Nosherei, Schlessinger's (formally The Kibitz Room), Famous 4th St. Deli, etc.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thank you!

You stole my thunder!

Doctor Brown's Cel-Ray soda is one of the most uniquely tasting sodas out there. If you want sugar free, Dr. Brown's has excellent "diet" black cherry and cream sodas as well.

Here in Philly they are available in all the kosher delis like Rachael's Nosherei, Schlessinger's (formally The Kibitz Room), Famous 4th St. Deli, etc.

You're welcome! I can't believe it didn't make the the original list. My guess is that it's one of the most unique soda flavors of all time.

Clark Park, I was once a huge fan of the diet black cherry. It didn't take "diet" to me.

Now I avoid all artificially sweetened products. I'm afraid of them.

The smaller brands seem to be less sugary that the large, mass produced brands.

These days if I want a soda pop, I'll avoid diet and drink "the real thing" - but not Coke.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,134,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
High fructose corn syrup - poison - was never part of the recipe. Pepsi-Co offers their 'throwback' versions of Pepsi or Mt Dew periodically and they are made with sugar only. They taste different as well as not feeling like thick syrup in your mouth.
The colas that were supposed to have health benefits are artificially flavored now so how much of the actual cola properties still exist? Coca Cola removed the cocaine from their flagship pop decades ago.

This is so true. I can actually feel high fructose corn syrup in the back of my throat.

Count me as a Dr. Brown's fan. Jones is also good. I like a very gingery and spicy ginger ale when I can get my hands on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink