U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,310,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i love the fact that everything is going to taste the same (like mexican food).
You really haven't had Mexican food, have you? I've lived within a couple of miles of the U.S./Mexican border for over 25 years, & half my family is Mexican.

Trust me--it doesn't all taste the same. Just like any other type of cuisine. And those who think Mexican food is always spicy, , no, lol!

It's as varied as the food in any other country, or between any two cooks. These generalizations are absurd!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 AM

261 posts, read 316,271 times
Americans like Mexican food because Mexican food is so d*mn good. Taco's have really caught on the last couple of decades all across the country, especially for breakfast. Mexicans moving beyond the Southwest to the South and Midwest are bringing their foods with them to states like Indiana and Tennessee that only until recent years had very few Mexicans living in their state.

I bet Mexican food is popular where ever in the world it's served. Anymore, now-a-days in the United States, I would guess Mexican food is more popular than Italian food and Asian food. Although there are a lot of Asian restaraunts. Chinese. Japanese. Vietnamese, Korean. Nearly every strip center has some sort of an Asian restaraunt. But given a choice in a poll, I think Americans would vote Mexican food as their most favorite ethnic food, by a pretty wide margin.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,549,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
You really haven't had Mexican food, have you? I've lived within a couple of miles of the U.S./Mexican border for over 25 years, & half my family is Mexican.

Trust me--it doesn't all taste the same. Just like any other type of cuisine. And those who think Mexican food is always spicy, , no, lol!

It's as varied as the food in any other country, or between any two cooks. These generalizations are absurd!
At home we eat very different, comida casera. Lots of stews, soups and beans.

My favorites are caldo de res, sopa de fideo, and potato tacos. Not spicy at all. Caldo de res is a beef stew with many vegetables, and sopa de fideo is a very simple noodle soup with tomatoes and chicken stock.

Tacos are made out of anything really. Whatever is leftover, You make a taco out of it.

Alot of times we ate vegetarian in my home, uknown to us and before it even became a trend.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,372 times
"American" food is terrible so thank you Mexican Americans for providing a delicious alternative.

It's sort of like how Indian food is basically the national food of the UK and everyone there thanks Krishna they have an alternative to boiled mutton and beans on toast

Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
I don't think American likes real Mexican food, American likes American food which many happens to be Americanized Mexican food.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:40 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think American likes real Mexican food, American likes American food which many happens to be Americanized Mexican food.
Exactly.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:47 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,573,502 times
Mexican food in Europe and Asia is terrible, I've tried it. Yes, the US is pretty much the only place outside of Mexico that does Mexican food right .

Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
Mexican food is indeed very popular in the Twin Ports (Duluth, MN - Superior, WI) area, and has been for about (at least) two decades. This despite a tiny population of Mexicans (most of whom probably run the restaurants!) and a very un-cosmopolitan population. It's true that the cuisine is bastardized here; however, it's still at least partially "Mexican", and many of the dishes would be recognizable to any Mexican. I think it's the whole "Mexican restaurant experience". If you're American, you know what I'm talking about. If you're not, than think of gigantic margaritas.

I think Mexican restaurants in the U.S. are in a vaguely similar position to Indian restaurants in the U.K. (Indian restaurants are common in the U.S., but the food isn't, and the reserve of vegetarians, immigrants, and the more cultured folk).

My favorite Mexican restaurant locally is Mexico Lindo; their Cloquet (a small logging town 20 miles to the west of Duluth) location is infinitely better than their "new" (it's been there for, like, 4 years) location east of Downtown. You can see their menu here: Mexico Lindo. You'll Love Our Mexican Restaurants in Cloquet and Duluth Minnesota! - Menu and judge for yourself about the authenticity of what they serve.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,461,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The average American thinks Mexican food begins at tacos and ends with enchiladas, all meals have a combo plate number assigned to them, and the main differences between the dishes are the size of the tortillas, whether it's green or red sauce, and if the cheese smothering the whole thing is cheddar or monterey jack.

And this is why I can't get a decent huachinango al Veracruzana in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 AM

854 posts, read 898,031 times
Mexican food is awesome. My neighbors are Mexicans and the smell coming from their house at dinner time makes me jealous when I am eating my t.v. dinner. They bring me food occasionally and it's awesome. The BBQ that the man of the house fixed one time in this big metal pot with a fire under rivals any pork BBQ I have ever tasted in the U.S. I can't get enough Mexican food, need to find me a muchacha that can cook traditional Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink