U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:44 PM

47 posts, read 105,211 times

Advertisements

It seems Mexican food and culture will be integrated into American culture in the not to distant future. There are more Mexican restaurants than any other international cuisine in the U.S. Tortillas outsell hot dog and hamburger buns, and salsa has outsold ketchup for many years. Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo (more than actual Mexicans) and the Day of the Dead celebration has become a big event in most big cities in the USA. What do you guys think?

Americans Love Mexican Food - ABC News

Old 05-23-2014, 09:24 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,863,064 times
Mexican food and culture is already integrated into American culture, and has been for quite some time.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yup. I can't stand Mexican food. Every once in a while I'll eat a taco or fajita or chili, but it's made my way, in no way authentic. I rarely if ever will go to a Mexican place to eat.

Cinco de Mayo is "celebrated" because it's an excuse to drink, like St. Patrick's Day and pretty much every other holiday nowadays. Most Mexicans don't even celebrate May 5 and it's not even that big a deal to their history. Day of the Dead I have heard of, but I have never seen anyone around where I live celebrate it.

I'm not surprised to see that I live in a state with one of the lowest percentages of Mexican restaurants (from the article). We're much more into Italian here than Mexican, I think. You'll find more pizza places and Italian bakeries and delis in NJ than anything else, I'd bet.
You probably don't like Mexican food because you've had New Jersey "Mexican" food. I don't like that stuff either.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,616,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You probably don't like Mexican food because you've had New Jersey "Mexican" food. I don't like that stuff either.
I take it you probably haven't had real pizza, either. Or bagels. It's okay, some day when you come around here you'll discover it and you'll never go back.

No, I think it's the ingredients to be honest. I'm not big on tomatoes (I'm very picky with my sauce for pasta and pizza, trust me) so I don't like salsa. I also don't like spicy foods, not even slightly spicy foods. I don't know, when I read the menus it's just not very appealing to me. Believe it or not we do have some very good Mexican places around here (just like you could find some great Italian food in other parts of the country) but I still am not a fan. Either way, most Mexican food found in America is Americanized - same with Italian, and pretty much everything else. Americans tend to put our own spin on things then say it's authentic when it's not. No doubt, some places do it the right way - with owners or chefs straight from Mexico but for the most part, our ethnic food has its own American take.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,228,799 times
I think that's been obvious since Tex Mex became a term. Mexican food is great, and America is lucky that it seems to be the only other country outside of Mexico that seems capable of doing it right, or at least riffing off of it well.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 PM

Yeah if you don't like spicy food you probably don't like Mexican food. But I still think you ought to try some in the southwest sometime. You might be surprised how different it is from the New Jersey style at a genuinely good southwestern US Mexican restaurant.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
This isn't that surprising considering that the U.S. already has an enormous population of Mexican descent even right now.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,616,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think that's been obvious since Tex Mex became a term. Mexican food is great, and America is lucky that it seems to be the only other country outside of Mexico that seems capable of doing it right, or at least riffing off of it well.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yeah if you don't like spicy food you probably don't like Mexican food. But I still think you ought to try some in the southwest sometime. You might be surprised how different it is from the New Jersey style at a genuinely good southwestern US Mexican restaurant.
Yeah, definitely. I'm actually excited to someday try Mexican food from somewhere in the US a bit closer to Mexico and known for that Mexican influence, but again - I think it's the ingredients I tend to dislike. I'll still try it, though.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,080,023 times
How much of that popularity is boosted by Mexicans/Latinamericans compared to whites and blacks? I think Univision is the most watched television network or something like that but I'm sure Univision wouldn't be as popular if you pit Spanish media versus English media. It's one network versus the multiple English channels.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 PM

13,432 posts, read 4,416,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Go to Texas and/or to California for this if you will have the chance.
Agreed. There are plenty of good Mexican restaurants in California and I do love it. I have heard the same about Texas and especially about San Antonio. I would guess Arizona and New Mexico have some good choices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink