U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of canned Mac'n'cheese before. I would have to be on the verge of roasting my cat before I ate that stuff.

But I don't judge those who do... as I freely admit to eating Top Ramen on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
You know you're really hungry when...

rice cakes start to look good

Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
... you don't care what it is or whether it goes together or whether it is stale/over/old, the primary (and only) food selection criteria is how fast it can go from package to mouth in a reasonably edible form.

I've sat on the pantry floor scooping PB right out of the jar with cheddar goldfish, or scooping deviled ham/chicken out of the tin with potato chips before. Cold condensed soup right out of the can slathered on stale bread or tortillas. A can of olives and a can of fruit cocktail... just chugging it juice/brine and all!

Of course, that's talking rapidly crashing blood sugar, mild hypothermia and impending unconsciousness. Winter in Alaska can be a real PITA, being ok to being in a critical situation can be as short as a few minutes when it's -40F. By the time you start feeling funky, unless you're literally right next to the cabin, you can be pretty FUBAR by the time you make it back.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:17 PM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
... you don't care what it is or whether it goes together or whether it is stale/over/old, the primary (and only) food selection criteria is how fast it can go from package to mouth in a reasonably edible form.

I've sat on the pantry floor scooping PB right out of the jar with cheddar goldfish, or scooping deviled ham/chicken out of the tin with potato chips before. Cold condensed soup right out of the can slathered on stale bread or tortillas. A can of olives and a can of fruit cocktail... just chugging it juice/brine and all!

Of course, that's talking rapidly crashing blood sugar, mild hypothermia and impending unconsciousness. Winter in Alaska can be a real PITA, being ok to being in a critical situation can be as short as a few minutes when it's -40F. By the time you start feeling funky, unless you're literally right next to the cabin, you can be pretty FUBAR by the time you make it back.
+1. I live in both the Anchorage, AK area and Houston, TX, area, so I get to experience both climate extremes. Of course the AK interior has much harsher weather than the Mat-Su Valley. Although overeating and obesity is by far the greater problem in this country, it is quite important to keep one's blood sugar level steady, especially in extreme heat/cold. So on one very cold day when I got stranded on the Alaska 1 Highway, I stabbed open a cold, ancient can of Chef Boyardee ravioli with scissors and ate its tasteless contents.

In another incident on a camping trip with my overzealous friends, I was "roughing it" (i.e. stuck) outside in 100+ temps outside Houston for three days. We drank our water faster than we expected and the only substitute until we were able to replenish our supply was warm Natural Light beer. Apparently my BFF's brother found it on sale and went hog wild, buying two cases, ecstatic with his good fortune. That beer made me long for the Chef Boyardee I ate while stranded on the freezing AK-1 Highway. Yuck!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,368,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. I live in both the Anchorage, AK area and Houston, TX, area, so I get to experience both climate extremes. Of course the AK interior has much harsher weather than the Mat-Su Valley. Although overeating and obesity is by far the greater problem in this country, it is quite important to keep one's blood sugar level steady, especially in extreme heat/cold. So on one very cold day when I got stranded on the Alaska 1 Highway, I stabbed open a cold, ancient can of Chef Boyardee ravioli with scissors and ate its tasteless contents.

In another incident on a camping trip with my overzealous friends, I was "roughing it" (i.e. stuck) outside in 100+ temps outside Houston for three days. We drank our water faster than we expected and the only substitute until we were able to replenish our supply was warm Natural Light beer. Apparently my BFF's brother found it on sale and went hog wild, buying two cases, ecstatic with his good fortune. That beer made me long for the Chef Boyardee I ate while stranded on the freezing AK-1 Highway. Yuck!
I got stranded roadside on HWY 62 outside El Paso in 100+ with literally no traffic in either direction (before the days of cell phones and wide coverage). I drank all 4 of my liters of water, two ancient Capri Suns I found wedged in the back seat cushions, and finally ended up scooping ditch water up and filtering it through a t-shirt and some paper towels a couple of times (mmm, tasty!). That was the last time I traveled without a water treatment/filtration bottle!

Here in AK, I always have something edible in my inner pockets since you really have to eat every hour or so when you're out working in the cold (1200 calories a day my freezing behind -- try 5000!!). All my winter coats/parkas have power bars, granola, nuts, jerky or dried fruit in them... and I have eaten them no matter how ancient or indistinguishable they are! I've even eaten a few of those single serve pouches of tuna, spam, etc plain right out of the wrapper. Seriously, I thought one of the breakfast bar thingies in my glove box was a yogurt & fruit bar, but it was actually chocolate and nuts that was so old the chocolate it had turned chalky white and the nuts were limp... but it worked to keep me going until I'd winche my truck out of the snow drift!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
You know you are really hungry when......

Your in a Restaurant and eat the paper napkin while waiting for your order.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A Picture is worth a thousand words

OMGoodness I had no idea that even existed and I have been in a lot of grocery stores in many states and have never seen it.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
. . . . your co-workers farts smell enticing? . . . . you could eat the @sshole out of a dead horse?
Damn, I think you won.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,811,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a can of mac 'n' cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They actually make Macaroni and cheese in a can?
You two must not be People of Walmart.

Quote:
Oh, man. I think I should feel good for Oregon that they never tried to sell anything like that here, at least not out in the open. But they do sell canned ravioli here, and I admit to having eaten that when I was starved. LOL
Canned ravioli or pasta can be made palatable by mixing in a lot of Tabasco Sauce. I did that fairly often when traveling in my van far from eateries, and didn't want to stop to cook something. That and trail mix or mixed nuts. And Niblets corn.

Jerky just seemed to make me hungrier!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:48 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a can of mac 'n' cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They actually make Macaroni and cheese in a can?
+1. What is this phenomenon? I thought I had seen it all when I discovered canned boiled peanuts. Talk about something that sounds really unappetizing. Ewwww!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or