U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,658,700 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking mostly fish here - or maybe chicken filets. Has anyone used these with good results? Have read the taste is 'different' from traditional smokers, but not bad. Quicker and more moist. What smoking fuel do you use? Do you have to buy "food grade sawdust" ?

We really like smoked food, but not always up for the outside major project deal for a couple of salmon filets etc......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM

9,270 posts, read 7,289,484 times
I have this Cameron model on my "to buy" list

Smoked Salmon Recipe from The Wooden Spoon Chicago - YouTube

Camerons Stovetop Smoker - Smoked Chicken Wings by Tony Neely - YouTube

Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
I have the Cameron Stovetop smoker. I've used it for years--fish, chicken, quail--once I even smoked a little bitty brisket. It's easy easy easy. In my previous home, we didn't have an area outside for a grill or smoker, so I put it to good use. I actually used it on my glass-top range without problems. I highly recommend it.

You can buy the "sawdust" at some grocery stores, or order it on Amazon. Mine came with several small containers of the wood chips or sawdust. You only use about a tablespoon or so at a time, so it goes a long way. Whatever you are cooking determines what wood to use--you can experiment & learn how much & what kind to use--there's a learning curve like any other kind of cooking.

I actually have a cookbook specifically for a stovetop smoker--not just the one that came with the smoker. I'll look & see what it is & post here.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 PM

The book is Smokin' by Christopher Styler.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks -- Saw someone using one on a pbs show - one of the Scandinavian cooking ones where they are outside -- smoked trout overlooking a fiord --- she just popped it in, closed the cover and after what I remember as a short time removed or turned off the heat and let it sit covered till cooled. I didn't pay atention to the smoker itself but wished I had. Have a yard & a porch, but use charcoal & or wood for outside and it's long & cold in the winter. Aside from constructing some weird thing for the oven, these seem much better - ---

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,937 times
Ok now I know what I want for my birthday! I can see myself cooking a lot of smoked dishes with this gadget.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM

9,270 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Ok now I know what I want for my birthday! I can see myself cooking a lot of smoked dishes with this gadget.
I hear smoked mac & cheese is delish.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM

So I found a couple of answers here. He describes it more as a smoking sauna - not as intense nor dry -- but enough of the taste to make it worth-while. I think I'll try one of the home-made versions while the windows are open and invest in a real one if we like the results for the winter- - - the Cameron one looks straight-forward and less 'over teched' then others.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,148,666 times
This looks very interesting....I've never heard of these. I'm going to have to investigate further. I absolutey hate messin' with an outdoor grill.

Thanks for posting this!

Old 05-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
So I found a couple of answers here..
Lol--I've never had very much smoke in the house before when using my stovetop smoker--I think the lid on it keeps most of it contained. Smoke only escapes when you remove the food at the end, so you have to work fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink