U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When I was about 10 years old my sister and I decided to surprise our mother with home made honey buns. We found a recipe in the cook book and it called for 1 cup shortening. We did not know what shortening was and decided it must be baking powder. Emptied the whole can of baking powder and it wasn't quite a cup, but decided that would do.

All I can say is when we added the water--"What a Mess"

Looked like a grade school science fair volcano.

Our mother did not appreciate our efforts when she came home.
HAHAHA, unfortunately my Mother came home to a similar mess one day.
It was the summer after 5th grade and we had just moved into a new to us place. I decided to surprise my Mother and bake a cake, what a disaster.
I could not find the oil so I used solid crisco, tossed it all into the oven and let it go.
When the timer went off I was trying to take it out of the oven and the oven rack slipped, the cake slid right to the floor and all the gooey not even close to done chunky crisco laden inside slung all over the floor.
It was so bad the dog wouldn't even eat it.........HAHAHAHA
My Mother walked in about that time and was not happy at all with the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,640 times
I had a different kind of disaster once. I was 16 or 17 and I loved to make my own spaghetti. I had never used a pressure cooker, but I'd seen my mom use one, and I thought, why not cook the noodles in that?

I filled the pressure cooker about half way with water, put on the top and the weight (regulator), and started it heating. After a while I wanted to open it up, I forget why, and the weight wasn't moving yet, so it should be okay, right? Man, why was it so hard to turn the lid to take it off?

The lid hit the ceiling and a lot of the superheated water flashed into steam. My face was one big 2nd degree burn. I haven't wanted to try a pressure cooker again.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-25-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 12:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,289,411 times
I one time made a pecan pie from corn syrup I bought in Juarez, Mexico. My then husband and I bite into it, still warm and suddenly I noticed he couldn't open his mouth and was moaning. I went to say something and I discovered by teeth stuck together. We both had to put our mouths under a faucet of warm running water to pry the mess apart.

So..... I decided to give the pie to my huge military macaw (big parrot). He scurries down making happy sounds, starts eating, and that huge beak was stuck together! So he kept dunking his head in his water dish until he could open it.

I thru the entire mess out along with the Mexican corn syrup and never made another pecan pie.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,489,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Tried to make my mom's hash. I've asked her how to make it, and it never comes close to how she makes it. Ground beef, potatoes, onion soup, hot sauce, onions, and Worchester. Sounds easy right, well, I managed to screw it up. Now there's a whole bunch left over that we don't want. My DH said "what did you do different?" which is his nice way of saying "that sucked."

Some of the potatoes were either under cooked or soggy, the hamburger didn't have the nice crisp that my mom gets on it, way too much Worchester so it was kind of sweet and mushy, it didn't have that greasy hamburger-y crispy crust flavor that my mom manages. What a waste. I'm running out of ways to prepare red meat without a grill.
The first time I tried making my mom's spaghetti sauce, it gave everyone (except me) heartburn. I totally messed it up. Luckily, I've gotten better since then.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 PM

1,102 posts, read 929,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
For all of my cooking life there are just sometimes that for whatever reasons the recipe epically fails. I am glad to say those are rare and far in between, but those failed attempts make me want to master them and learn how to get it right.

First one that I remember is now a family legend which came to be known as purple chicken!

Basically I had basted a chicken in burgundy wine as a fricase and well it looked just like the description, but the amazing part was the the taste was wonderfull if you could get past it's visual un appetizing presentation.
I made a birthday cake for a friend one time who loved that light lilac purple color of lilacs. Tried and tried to get the color right..... Darn thing turned out gun metal gray.... tasted good... looked like sludge! UGH!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 PM

1,102 posts, read 929,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I had a different kind of disaster once. I was 16 or 17 and I loved to make my own spaghetti. I had never used a pressure cooker, but I'd seen my mom use one, and I thought, why not cook the noodles in that?

I filled the pressure cooker about half way with water, put on the top and the weight (regulator), and started it heating. After a while I wanted to open it up, I forget why, and the weight wasn't moving yet, so it should be okay, right? Man, why was it so hard to turn the lid to take it off?

The lid hit the ceiling and a lot of the superheated water flashed into steam. My face was one big 2nd degree burn. I haven't wanted to try a pressure cooker again.

No guts no glory! Be brave just look up how to use a pressure cooker on eHow How to Use a Pressure Cooker | eHow

Get back up on that bicycle and start pedaling..... Happy Cooking

Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM

103 posts, read 103,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Your poor mother must've fainted. (And you, too!)

Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
No guts no glory! Be brave just look up how to use a pressure cooker on eHow How to Use a Pressure Cooker | eHow

Get back up on that bicycle and start pedaling..... Happy Cooking
If it were important to me, I would.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Your poor mother must've fainted. (And you, too!)
I caused her a lot of grief when I was a kid.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:11 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,389,556 times
Talking Pie

My ex-husband was diabetic and had a sweet-tooth and this was in the 70's so artificial sweetener options were limited. There was one, however, that often had recipes in magazines and one recipe was for key lime pie. I made the pie, and served it for dinner when my inlaws were over. It looked beautiful but tasted like soap. But my father inlaw ate every bite. He was the sweetest guy ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or