U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,520,840 times

Advertisements

I can remember my youngest daughter making Spaghetti sauce when she was about 10 years old.

Well she called it spaghetti sauce. It did have tomatoes and Garlic in it.

Did it ever have garlic in it. The recipe called for 4 cloves of Garlic. She thought an entire bulb was a clove.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,340,427 times
When I was a kid still living at home I used to make Chocolate Chip Cookies, with a "twist".

I'd dye the cookie dough with green food coloring, then dribble red over it. It looked positively gross.

My mom used to go ballistic.

Even though they tasted great, no one else would even touch them.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,285,578 times
Does incorrectly making a Marie Callender's Pot Pie count for this?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,695,510 times
Coconut macaroons. I made them 2 years ago around the holidays and did not use parchment paper. They stuck to the pan so bad I threw the pan and cookies out.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM

5,258 posts, read 4,055,595 times
I made pancakes once that were terrible, I guess I didn't put in the right amount of ingredients or I didn't mix it enough because taking a bite out of them left a pile of powder in your mouth. I hated to waste them so I threw one out to my dog and saw him pick it up in his mouth and when I looked out the window a few seconds later it was gone. I figured he liked it so I put the rest in his bowl. Later that day I was taking the trash out and noticed his bowl was empty and figured at least they didn't go to waste. But when I walked around the side of the house I saw every one of them hidden in the tall grass up against the fence. He didn't want to hurt my feelings so he pretended to eat them.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I made pancakes once that were terrible, I guess I didn't put in the right amount of ingredients or I didn't mix it enough because taking a bite out of them left a pile of powder in your mouth. I hated to waste them so I threw one out to my dog and saw him pick it up in his mouth and when I looked out the window a few seconds later it was gone. I figured he liked it so I put the rest in his bowl. Later that day I was taking the trash out and noticed his bowl was empty and figured at least they didn't go to waste. But when I walked around the side of the house I saw every one of them hidden in the tall grass up against the fence. He didn't want to hurt my feelings so he pretended to eat them.
LOL!! That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. How cute.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM

14,000 posts, read 10,140,992 times
I had made Ina Garten's version of Beef Bourguignon once and it turned out good. The next time I made it, I had apparently gotten ahold of a different recipe. The first time I made it, it seemed like it had called for about a cup or two of red wine. I guess it must have been a typo or something, but this recipe called for a whole BOTTLE of wine. Didn't sound right to me, but I went ahead and did it anyway.

Inedible.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,397,125 times
I just remembered another recipe, this was one my ex-husband made. He loved eggnog and he loved pancakes so he made pancakes with eggnog and maple syrup on top of it. Did I mention he was diabetic? This one sent him to the hospital. In my defense, I was at work when he did this.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:38 PM

10 posts, read 21,413 times
The worst fiasco I've had was trying to cook turtle soup after finding a live snapping turtle. Nobody explained the nuances of cleaning a turtle, and the recipe didn't share. I promise you, I didn't do it right and I'll never forget the smell! All I have to do is mention turtle soup and my family turns pale.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
I just remembered something that happened about 13 years ago. I had spent the weekend with friends and we stayed home that Saturday night but had a few too many adult beverages.
The next morning (Sunday), their youngest child decided to make us coffee which he did. He was so proud (he was 9) and he carefully filled our cups and brought each of us our coffee and even put the cream and sugar in mine for me.

OMGoodness we took one drink of that coffee and dang near died, in his young wisdom he filled the entire basket on the drip 12 cup coffeemaker with coffee.
That coffee was so thick a spoon could have stood up straight in it.
We did not want to hurt his feelings so we muscled our way through that cup and asked him if he would like to make us another pot. We told him all he had to do was add enough water to fill the current pot which he did.
After about 5 pots of coffee made with the same grounds it was diluted enough to actually taste close to coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or