U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,993,016 times

Advertisements

I was in my mid-20s, living with my boyfriend, and wanted to try to learn to cook because it felt "domestic."

In those years, I watched The Frugal Gourmet (AKA Jeff Smith, who was accused of sexual abuse with underage boys, which effectively ruined his career). Oh, he was jolly and made cooking seem so much FUN! And EASY!

Took down a recipe for blackened fish one day as he prepared it on TV (I had to scribble it down fast). It called for chili powder, I think; at any rate, whatever made it spicy, I managed to make inedible by confusing "teaspoon" with "tablespoon."

As I cooked, the dish started to smoke so badly that it set off the fire alarm. I got out two large floor-fans and set them on high to send the smoke out of the kitchen/dining area.

Served it up. I had side dishes and everything. We even sat at the table. Two bites in, my boyfriend's face turned red and his eyes began to water. I took one bite and said, "Jesus Christ, this is AWFUL!" or some such thing, but he kept on taking tiny bites, his eyes literally red and blistered-looking, and said, "Oh, I think it's okay."

I got up and threw the whole dinner in the trash and we went to our favorite place while the apartment aired out.

Yep, he was the one that got away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,092,763 times
I love pasta.
I love garlic.
I love salty cured fish, like sardines.

There was a recipe from a reliable source I tried once making a dish combining all three and it was horrible. Definitely a case of the sum being much less than the parts.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:54 AM

710 posts, read 406,003 times
Just last night - THREE of them

All were flops, to me. Hubby says my "taster is off". He'll eat them.
Huckleberry Blueberry Coffee Cake - it had a crumb topping. Way too sweet. All I could taste was sugar
Tortelline Antipasto Salad - I drooled over that recipe for a week before I had hubby pick up the ingredients to try it - it was just kind of 'bleh'
Red Potato and Asparagus salad with a Dijon dressing - I love Dijon, but the dressing is much to strong for my tastes

Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 PM

763 posts, read 1,076,590 times
Yea! Most noteable is I attempted this "simple" meatloaf recipe going around pinterest that has RAVE reviews, which is just hamburgers and a box of a stuffing. I cooked it even longer than it requested b/c it didn't seem done, and when I believed it to be done, served a piece to my husband and I took a bite, he took a bite, and we both almost threw up everywhere. It was sooo moist in the way that no meat meal should ever be. Totally disgusting.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,590,517 times
Did as recently as last night.

First a little background both my wife and myself served more than 10 minutes in the military. Yesterday we got talking about Military food and how it had been many years since either of us had SOS (Anyone who has ever served in any Branch, knows what that is)

Last night I tried to make a vegetarian version of SOS

Yes, I am now the first person in history to mess up SOS

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or