Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 10:51 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times

Advertisements

I've been aware all along that tap water is not ideal and that bottled or filtered water is best. But I'm a simple girl and hey, tap water is always available and costs little to nothing. I drink it constantly, always have a 32-oz water bottle with me everywhere I go, and I drink & refill it multiple times every day.

So health concerns:

Conspiracy theorists worry about the unnecessary fluoride the govt puts in our tap water. I worry about it too but apparently not enough to change my habits. I've read that side effects from fluoride include decreased mental clarity & thought processes. I definitely experience that. However not sure if it's due to hyperconsumption of tap water or other factors.

Other chemicals in tap water, etc...

But I will say one thing. I do not regret being a water-phile. Water is truly youth-ifying. Along with eating wholesome foods, no alcohol or sodas - water is my main beverage, occasionally almond milk or pomegranate juice or coconut water - lots of exercise, my skin & physique are all right. People think I'm in my 20's. I'm not in my 20's.

But what harm can such a high volume of tap water be doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:43 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
“I think a lot of women have it in their heads that if they can’t commit to a whole hour at the gym, then it’s not worth the effort,” she told Shape. “But that’s not true!” As for diet, she says she strives to be “80 percent good, 80 percent of the time,” avoiding white carbs, sweets, and taking in lots of H2O. “Your body is so happy when you drink water. And it helps with a lot of cravings,” she says.
-Cindy Crawford

Every article I think I've ever read about skin health says to drink lots of water. I think you will be fine. I drink almost a gallon or more of water a day. For like, a decade or so. Bottled water does taste better. But tap is free. America has some of the cheapest, safest water on the planet.

Click this and think about it the next time you turn on the tap.
https://www.google.com/search?client...hering%20water

I think about fluoride the same way I think about vaccines and autism. Someone just got weird and spread it around. Next, they'll want iodine out of salt and girls to not be schooled.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
its often what we don't indulge in, that makes us healthier, so kudos to you, for the displacement factor- some folks drink that much soda per day...
if you do ever get to think you are about to blow up- consuming too much fluoride or e-coli from tap water, just add a little apple cider vinegar every other day, - if you read the benefits of this online, its almost a natural miracle elixir...it's good for whatever might affect you from the water

outside of this...congrats for being disciplined...you've saved a lot of money

one of the health books I read yrs ago, said we should drink enough water to "go" at least 5 times a day- this keeps us flushed, and keep residue chemicals from settling in our systems in high concentrations, otherwise our bodies don't know what to do with some of these chemicals but store them- (like pesticides)
and if enough get stored, they cause diseases

Old 05-25-2014, 03:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
Op I drink no soda and drink about a gallon or more a day of water most of it is filtered from my fridge but this is typical for me on a normal day.

Breakfast or when I get up at least three 12 oz cups of water in one sitting.

Same with lunch and dinner.

Throughout the day depending if I am out and about I always have a water bottle, or two and right before bed at least one more 12 ounce cup of water. I have been doing this since in my twenties and I am almost fifty and pretty healthy. But this habit of drinking tons of water was something my grandmother drummed into me as a teenager and guess what, she is still kicking around at 104 years old and sharp as a tack although she can't hardly hear.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Wow I can't imagine drinking 164oz of water in a day. I at most drink 1 litre (that's about 32oz right) in a day, I'd be on the toilet all the time otherwise. I do not think there is anything to be concerned about with drinking tap water personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink