Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,781,793 times

Advertisements

Sharp Shopper Grocery Outlet - Winchester Store

My landlord keyed me on to this. This store sells a 1/2 gallon of milk for a dollar. It still has a week left on the date. Perdue chicken? 4 thighs for a dollar. 6 name brand yoghurts for a dollar. I didn't even know these types of stores existed. It's kind of cool. Do you guys have stores like that around you?

Everything is super cheap. 6 "everything" bagels for a dollar. Expires in 5 days, but wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,349,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Sharp Shopper Grocery Outlet - Winchester Store

My landlord keyed me on to this. This store sells a 1/2 gallon of milk for a dollar. It still has a week left on the date. Perdue chicken? 4 thighs for a dollar. 6 name brand yoghurts for a dollar. I didn't even know these types of stores existed. It's kind of cool. Do you guys have stores like that around you?

Everything is super cheap. 6 "everything" bagels for a dollar. Expires in 5 days, but wow!
Yes, quite a few. They truck the food in here from major grocery stores and sell it like hotcakes. We have perishables and non perishables. There are also some non food items also from time to time. These may be paper products where the labels are changed so they are have the "old" label products, etc.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,021,130 times
here's a question??

what if someone brought home 10lbs of burger or chicken thighs, or steaks, and then plans changed, they are not going to host a family bbq

so, this nice customer does not want to keep all this meat, and wants to bring it back to the grocery store - theirs nothing wrong with the meat.... should the grocery store take the meat back and resell it??

say I own a grocery store, my meatcase stops working and the meat warms to over 60 degrees for 3 hours

is it ok to cool the meat down and sell??

or can I call a discount place, and sell all fresh meat at 50% and they freeze it, and put a sign up saying cook it all at 165 degrees

you have human judgement in all this,

if something is so cheap, beware !! because no one wants to throw away or transfer profits..

and how many times do people say, I want to buy more local, fresh, organics...and then these discount places open- and if you can get chicken thighs for 39 cents per lb,,,,suddenly its a great deal??

and don't give me over-runs and other reasons why meat can be drastically reduced- ive been in the grocery/meat business for 30 yrs, and have dealt with discount stores..
if rib eyes are 3 months old, at 30% off cost, do you sell as "aged" 3 dollars per lb less than anyone else??

some warehouses, suppliers/vendors will call and offer a fantastic deal- if its something I wouldn't feed my mother or kid, I wont buy it- but then I see it as a daily special down the road,

its all great til someone gets sick-then all hell breaks loose

Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here's a question??

what if someone brought home 10lbs of burger or chicken thighs, or steaks, and then plans changed, they are not going to host a family bbq

so, this nice customer does not want to keep all this meat, and wants to bring it back to the grocery store - theirs nothing wrong with the meat.... should the grocery store take the meat back and resell it??

say I own a grocery store, my meatcase stops working and the meat warms to over 60 degrees for 3 hours

is it ok to cool the meat down and sell??

or can I call a discount place, and sell all fresh meat at 50% and they freeze it, and put a sign up saying cook it all at 165 degrees

you have human judgement in all this,

if something is so cheap, beware !! because no one wants to throw away or transfer profits..

and how many times do people say, I want to buy more local, fresh, organics...and then these discount places open- and if you can get chicken thighs for 39 cents per lb,,,,suddenly its a great deal??

and don't give me over-runs and other reasons why meat can be drastically reduced- ive been in the grocery/meat business for 30 yrs, and have dealt with discount stores..
if rib eyes are 3 months old, at 30% off cost, do you sell as "aged" 3 dollars per lb less than anyone else??

some warehouses, suppliers/vendors will call and offer a fantastic deal- if its something I wouldn't feed my mother or kid, I wont buy it- but then I see it as a daily special down the road,

its all great til someone gets sick-then all hell breaks loose
You are mixing up two different things. You are on topic with half of what the OP's thread is about but not off topic with the other half.

If a cooler breaks and the temp drops then it is not ok to sell that product. It is not the policy of the grocery stores in my state to re-sell returned food. They will take food back, they will refund money, but they will not resell it.

Go back and re-read the OP's post. He made no mention of "bad" products. He only mentioned products that are getting close to their stamped "due date".

Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,021,130 times
Beretta, my point was - if their is a deep discount on perishable items, there is usually a reason why, and most will not know this reason (if a product still has 5 day shelf life- then why reduce so deeply?)

if a discount store has nothing but reduced perishable items , all im saying, just be careful, we have some discount stores around here- calling me for distressed items all the time... and they have had issues with state inspectors- just be careful..

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Beretta, my point was - if their is a deep discount on perishable items, there is usually a reason why, and most will not know this reason (if a product still has 5 day shelf life- then why reduce so deeply?)

if a discount store has nothing but reduced perishable items , all im saying, just be careful, we have some discount stores around here- calling me for distressed items all the time... and they have had issues with state inspectors- just be careful..
I think some of the stores will reduce because they want to get rid of the inventory and they treat the product like a loss leader; it gets people in the store. Just a guess though.

As with everything, people should always be choosey and careful when and where purchasing their foods.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,079,276 times
There are a number of places:

United Grocery Outlets
Various surplus stores, often in Amish and Mennonite areas
Big Lots
Mac Frugals

I generally buy a LOT from the Amish surplus markets. Most of the goods are NOT out of date but are closeouts. Some of the items are "old labels" meaning that the store is changing their packaging designs.

I generally don't buy a lot of the perishables as I am generally traveling when I hit these places, especially as an usually 4-5 hours from home. A lot of the Amish surplus stores sell high quality perishables with the usual Amish brands - Troyer, Gerber, etc.

When I can fill up a banana box full of groceries for $20 with products that I liek to use, I will do it.

Here is a link to a list. I have shopped about 20 of these stores over the years and could make some recommendations.

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...ist-state.html

Here is a better listing:

http://www.extremebargains.net/disco...ore-directory/

Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM

14,385 posts, read 20,456,558 times
Rite-Aid when it was Eckerds had a policy (they may still have it) that if you find an outdated item on the shelf they give you $5.00. We once found an outdated carton of milk. We used the $5 to buy....milk.

Food Lion puts some of their meat on sale the day before the "sell by date." It keeps them from having to throw away good meat that someone might want to cook and eat on the day after the sell by date.

As far as safety there are plenty of extra days built into the sell by date.

Last edited by howard555; 05-26-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM

861 posts, read 1,326,787 times
Amazon sells grocery with expiring dates for as much as 95% off. And most don't expire for couple of months.

I've bought drinks for $2 (reg $60) and cookies for $1 ($20) and many others at deep discounts.

Some have had mold (like beef jerky) but Amazon CS is awesome and always refunds the full price even if only couple bags out of 20 have mold.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 PM

6,809 posts, read 6,898,053 times
There were several salvage grocery stores in NE Mississippi when I lived there. Some of the foods sold were past their expiration date; others because the label was stained or torn, or cans were slightly dented. I never bought perishables or expired foods there, but everything else was fine. They usually had a nice selection of gourmet items at ridiculously low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink