U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 04:34 PM

6,719 posts, read 11,739,154 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Do any of you know of a really good web site that could help me understand different cuts of meat -- e.g., where different cuts of beef come from, what they are best used for, etc.? I know I could google it, but I'd rather get recommendations from my fellow C-D'ers!

I cook beef a lot in different dishes, but I usually just buy what's on sale and am never sure if what I'm buying is the "best" choice for a particular dish ... hence my request!

Thanks in advance (and reps to anyone who tries to help! ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:25 PM

9,313 posts, read 13,844,848 times
For beef, there's the Beef Industry Council sites like

Interactive Butcher Counter | Beef Its Whats for Dinner

I'm guessing there's an equivalent for pork.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. Do any of you know of a really good web site that could help me understand different cuts of meat -- e.g., where different cuts of beef come from, what they are best used for, etc.? I know I could google it, but I'd rather get recommendations from my fellow C-D'ers!

I cook beef a lot in different dishes, but I usually just buy what's on sale and am never sure if what I'm buying is the "best" choice for a particular dish ... hence my request!

Thanks in advance (and reps to anyone who tries to help! ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVc2z5KH7Wk
(no copywrite infringements, I created these)

the above link, may help a bit, its kind of a primal breakdown/ what comes out of each whole muscle/primal

here is a brief overview...
the top 3 grades of beef are prime/choice/select prime is abundantly marbled, and select is lean, choice is an affordable happy medium, -marbling is the white flecks of fat in the muscle that will melt when cooked..

4 major primal groups

the rib, the loin, the chuck and the round

the front of the critter is called the chuck, the front neck/shoulders/legs

you will see there are two major primals from the chuck, the chuck roll, and the chuck shoulder clod (on the primal slides, from the link)

just behind the chuck is the RIB - along the backbone- this is where you get, rib eye steaks, and prime rib roast-

then you go into the LOIN, or SIRLOIN the shortloin, and the top butt sirloin

the short loin has the tenderloin and sirloin strip- the porterhouse or T-bone steaks depict this well

from the loin, comes sirloin strip steaks/porterhouse steaks/T-bone steaks/ top butt sirloin steaks, short cut rump steaks, and bottom sirloin flap meat for steak tips

then you go into the ROUND-the back end of the critter- this is where top round steaks, bottom round roasts, steamship rounds, eye round, round tip roasts come from

there is also the plate /brisket/diaphragm/flank and shank

the middle meats - meats along the spine-these are structure muscles, not working muscles, so they have softer muscle tissue and are more tender- and better marbled

the chucks and round steaks/roasts are working muscles and are leaner (tougher)

the better steaks
tenderloin (filet mignon), rib eye steak, aka Delmonico steak and prime rib , then sirloin strip steak, porterhouse steak, T-bone steak, then top butt sirloin steaks,
these are the best selling steaks on the grill (and most expensive) the rib eye steak is the best selling steak in maine and new Hampshire - many think it is better flavor than filet mignon- more marbling

then-this is personal taste- comes in steaks tips, hanger steaks, skirt steaks, flat iron steaks-(which are actually from the chuck)

if you see chuck steaks or round steaks on sale,,,they can be cheap 2.99lb but they are usually lean-these you will want to marinade before grilling, and use a hand tenderizer (jaccard)

if you see chuck roasts or bottom round roasts cheap, grab one and ask the butcher to grind it

burger- is ground beef, but the quality of burger depends where you buy it- buy it from a store that grinds beef trimmings on site -
Walmart has all their meats shipped in,,,,no cutting on site- not fresh and gas packed
Hannaford, most of their burger now comes in case-ready,,, not ground fresh on site - this is for traceability (cya)
market basket uses "tube" burger - which is processed stock that comes to the store- with lean/fat ratio pre-determined- (comes in ten pound tubes) then they grind)

shaws does this too

the muscle structure is the same for most critters, whether its beef, pork, lamb, elk, caribou, deer, moose

a lot of good info online,
you can also search and download a "beef made easy" poster

Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM

6,719 posts, read 11,739,154 times
Thank you both so much -- those are very helpful replies! Reps to you both!!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Thank you both so much -- those are very helpful replies! Reps to you both!!

any questions, feel free to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink