U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like it better when it is chopped as opposed to using the whole leaf.

It does not overwhelm the taste of food that it is cooked with as long as their is some oil or fat in teh dish. I use it or lamb and pork chops as well as new potatoes.

It can be pretty strong if eaten raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 PM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Rosemary can be added to bread before baking. There are lots of rosemary bread recipes online.
This is supposed to make the bread last longer too. However, I don't particularly like rosemary bread.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,716,411 times
Usually I will use sprigs of fresh rosemary when I am sauteing chicken with wine, lemon and garlic. When I'm done cooking the sprigs get tossed and the dish is left with just a light rosemary flavor. If I actually will use the rosemary to consume with a dish it is minced very well otherwise it is way too overpowering!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have lots of rosemary in my yard just because I like the plants and the smell, but I've never cooked with rosemary.

To me, it smells like Vicks VapoRub (which is the smell of childhood to someone my age, LOL). I've seen lots of recipes that use rosemary and I thought I should start using some of mine to cook with. So, I gave it a taste the other day, and it TASTES just like Vicks. (Well, I never ate Vicks, but it tastes like I would imagine Vicks would taste.)

I don't think I could eat chicken or anything else coated in Vicks VapoRub. Does rosemary lose any of its sharpness when cooked?

Rosemary is an herb that is best used sparingly and in specific dishes (in my opinion). Added to bread it is delicious and has a wonderful aroma but to me it does not do well with Chicken, I use sage for chicken.

Also, as a side note, rosemary is a natural deterrent for fleas in your yard.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
You can also tamp down the strength of it by quickly dipping in boiling water (10 seconds or so) and then shocking in an ice water bath before chopping. Mellows it out quite a bit.
Aha....good to know, thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Some cats go as wild for it as they do for catnip,.
This is funny, because recently for a week we had a "foster kitten" (someone dumped her out and we brought her home and found a permanent home for her), and while she and I were out looking at flowers I took a piece of the rosemary and rubbed it all over her, thinking it might repel fleas. She hated it. I tried to get her to play with the sprig and she ran from it....acted like it was growling at her. LOL

Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
I have lots of rosemary in my yard just because I like the plants and the smell, but I've never cooked with rosemary.

To me, it smells like Vicks VapoRub (which is the smell of childhood to someone my age, LOL). I've seen lots of recipes that use rosemary and I thought I should start using some of mine to cook with. So, I gave it a taste the other day, and it TASTES just like Vicks. (Well, I never ate Vicks, but it tastes like I would imagine Vicks would taste.)

I don't think I could eat chicken or anything else coated in Vicks VapoRub. Does rosemary lose any of its sharpness when cooked?
It has a wonderful taste but a little goes a long way. We have started using it more and more, as well as using mint. I used to think mint was just something you used in tea or for holiday baking. I have learned it has so many wonderful uses. What did we do before the days of fresh herbs?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 AM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Better cooked....can't remember if I ever used it fresh. Very strong.

Try this:

Slice several potatoes, toss with olive oil, s&p and chopped rosemary, about 3 tsp
Roast at 425 or so, turning every 5-6 min until desired softness of potatoes.
I like mine browned and a bit crunchy.

Then eat and see if you like it.

Or make potatoes like hash browns on stove and add rosemary to that, either one is good.
one of my favorite ways to fix potatoes. I got the recipe (though you don't need a recipe) from a very long time friend, who has now passed away. Every time I roast the potatoes I think of Marilyn. I will add, we only turn them once, but I guess you could do it more often.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:25 AM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
Quote:
This is funny, because recently for a week we had a "foster kitten" (someone dumped her out and we brought her home and found a permanent home for her), and while she and I were out looking at flowers I took a piece of the rosemary and rubbed it all over her, thinking it might repel fleas. She hated it. I tried to get her to play with the sprig and she ran from it....acted like it was growling at her. LOL
That is funny. They do have their individual personalities. I know a cat that goes crazy for a mini sage bush. She will love up against it, purr loudly, and roll on her back as she caresses it.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
I make a paste with chopped garlic (the kind in oil in the jar), a half a container of fennel, and a half a container of rosemary and rub a ham. I look the ham on about 300 degrees for eight hours and it is insanely good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or