U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

never understood the difference between black and white pepper. always thought it was just a matter of color. will have to look into that some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM

13,991 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
never understood the difference between black and white pepper. always thought it was just a matter of color. will have to look into that some more.
I believe it's because the outer covering of the peppercorn has been removed, so it has a milder flavor.

We like to use it when making egg rolls, for one example.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 PM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
DH is 74. He's never been fond of green peppers but I can sneak in some red, orange and yellow if I'm careful. We still have children at home and I think it is important they eat a good variety of veggies. But I'm very careful to cook around his preferences.
tomatoes "talk back to him" cucumbers are persona non grata for same reason. Fine --I can adjust.
But now he is saying pepper is not his friend anymore.

I have a big container of Paula Dean's "House seasonings" which is salt and pepper, garlic powder and for years I've rubbed any roast-either pork or beef- with it and browned it before putting it in the slow cooker.
Yesterday I made the most delicious pot roast-the meat was fork tender but he complained it was too peppery. I swear I'm not using any more pepper than I have used for 38 years.

What else can I use in place of pepper to give food flavor? When I see TV cooks add "a pinch of pepper" I cringe cause I've never been heavy with pepper but seems like I use half as much as recipes call for.

So we are having left over roast and veggies tonight and I'm gonna add some sour cream to the gravy to cut the pepper taste. Any other suggestions?
How old are your children at home? Do you do all the cooking for the entire family?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM

33,555 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Also white pepper is used when you want the flavor not the color. White pepper is hotter but black pepper taste better.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Also white pepper is used when you want the flavor not the color..
That is what I always thought.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
How old are your children at home? Do you do all the cooking for the entire family?
We have two 12 year old (adopted) girls still at home. 5 grown kids are hatched and gone. And while they certainly help as sous chefs and clean up help they are not (yet) involved with seasoning of food. That would drive any cook batty to have somebody else come along and decide it needs "a pinch more of" this or that.
I'm teaching them about menu prep, shopping from sale flyers, knife skills, etc but we haven't gotten to seasoning except they know about House Seasoning and why I chose certain spices and herbs.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
SO went through similar drastic changes when we went on a regimen of allergy shots. Salt is his issue. OF course anything green is dangerous to his complexion:>) Have you considered a conversation with the family physician? Maybe the roast was a one time heavy hand on the cook's side?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times
Depending on the sauce, I find that heavy cream blends nicer to smooth out the flavors. Sour cream gives it a tang that he might find objectionable. I like sour cream in the right dish, but to mellow it out, I use the cream, or if I want something in betweenish, I use Greek yogurt.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
SO went through similar drastic changes when we went on a regimen of allergy shots. Salt is his issue. OF course anything green is dangerous to his complexion:>) Have you considered a conversation with the family physician? Maybe the roast was a one time heavy hand on the cook's side?
The man is healthy as a horse. Takes no pills, perfect weight, active but has a bad case of the Old Man Grumpys. Finally one daughter pulled me aside and did tell me she found the last roast a bit more peppery than usual. The little dab of sour cream helped. We got 8 servings of this delicious roast which was only 2.14 lbs and was on sale. I'd rather have more veggies than meat anyway. Wishing now I had bought another one while it was on sale. I need to redeem myself!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
It will go on sale again. Until then - be gentle on the pepper:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink