U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:10 PM

642 posts, read 908,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Shiitakes are in a class on their own - texture and flavor. My favorite. But I've also learned to love them only started eating them after I got pregnant with my son. I loathed them up until then. Glad I overcame the aversion because of their healthful properties. Wood ears are excellent too - cant imagine hot and sour soup without them. Champignons are the most boring and bland - I rarely get those.
You know... I've heard about other people having radical changes in their food preferences after pregnancy.... not just while they are pregnant.

I should have also been more specific on my shiitake mushroom preference. I very much prefer the ones that are raising on logs rather than sawdust. I can really taste the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
Golden Chanterelles. Hard to get and expensive but when I do watch out its a no holds barred feast of mushroom goodness.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 PM

4,937 posts, read 5,069,936 times
I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but I do like shiitake mushrooms.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 PM

33,564 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't know what you are calling a "champignon," which is just French for "mushroom." I assume you are talking about agaricus bisporus, which is the common cultured mushroom, grown indoors in a sterilized mix of wheat straw and manure. The white ones are grown in darkness, the brown ones are exposed to light. They are the same mushroom.
Yes, I was talking about the same white mushrooms. That's the name I know, but now I will call them "white mushrooms" instead
The white ones also grow wild in fields and grassy areas (Agaricus campestris) - I used to hunt for them in Summer. After rain, they grow literally in a span of a day.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 AM

723 posts, read 962,727 times
Magic

Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Portabella here, too. Brush the big ones with olive oil and grill them. Mmmmm!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Has anyone here had experience with growing shiitakes at home on logs? If so, I'd sure appreciate some tips. It's something I hope to do in the future.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but I do like shiitake mushrooms.
I recently tried to get my friend to try some shiitake in a lettuce wrap dish, but he wasn't feeling very adventurous. I think everyone should try everything at least twice before they decide 'never again'.

If I had tried shiitake before champignons I think I would not have excluded mushrooms from my diet for the first 20 years of my life. And if I had tried sashimi before my parent's fish stew I might not have missed out eating fish for the first 30 years of my life. Maybe that's why now, I prefer these foods over others.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:22 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times
My favorite is Chanterelle. Speaking of which, I haven't had these in quite some time. I'll have to remember to look for them the next time I shop. I like them sauteed in a bit of butter - nothing better.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I recently tried to get my friend to try some shiitake in a lettuce wrap dish, but he wasn't feeling very adventurous. I think everyone should try everything at least twice before they decide 'never again'.

If I had tried shiitake before champignons I think I would not have excluded mushrooms from my diet for the first 20 years of my life. And if I had tried sashimi before my parent's fish stew I might not have missed out eating fish for the first 30 years of my life. Maybe that's why now, I prefer these foods over others.
Hey Dont, maybe your taste buds just grew up.

Just teasin' you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink