Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,765,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I never met a Mushroom I didn't like.
Except for poisonous and/or hallucinogenic mushrooms, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,040,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
For me, it's shiitakes! I could eat them several times a week.
Baby portobello-I have had morel mushrooms and they ARE good, too.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 16,992,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Except for poisonous and/or hallucinogenic mushrooms, right?
Still like them, but not for eating or ingesting by any means. Sort of interesting to look at but hands off.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM

708 posts, read 950,001 times
The Mellow Mushroom.
Just kidding. I like most mushrooms I have had. I can never find morels where I live, but can get them at Giant Eagle near my brother's house. $60 a pound, but very tasty.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 AM

11,004 posts, read 9,640,886 times
This year I found a patch where morels grow wild. Unfortunately they grow for only about 3 weeks a year, and they were past ripe when I found them. NEXT YEAR!! I know the spot now and it's easy to find again because it's in an old family cemetery. I think I am going to try to take some plugs of the soil next year, when I find them again, and transplant that mycelium to my yard in the shade and see if I can get them to grow in my yard!!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,588,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Truffles ... lol
This. Truffles have a reputation as an aphrodesiac. My take is that the last thing on your mind while eating them is sex, but then you will do anything for another bite. They deserve a true chef to serve them. One of my most memorable culinary experiences was a truffle pastry prepared by a great chef. It was a taste of heaven.

The best tasting agaric is agaricus Augustus. It's rare, but when you find one it is huge. You can slice steaks off of it.

Chanterelles and morels are common around here. It's easy in the spring or fall to have a plate full of mushrooms with a steak under there somewhere. Chanterelles are mycorrhizal with Douglas fir above about 2500'. Morels fruit heavily in the spring in burned over ground after forest fires.

I sometimes get a decent fruiting of agaricus campestris. My recipe for mushroom soup starts:

Fill a large pot with chopped mushrooms
Add the stock of one chicken

I also fire up the pressure canner and can my own. You have to use pressure to avoid botulism.

I have a friend who lives on the coast who often finds wheelbarrow loads of boletus edulis (king bolete). They dehydrate very well. He puts them on a rack in a room with a dehumidifier rather than using a food dryer with a heat source. Edulis is mycorrhizal with pines.

Wild pickers around here go nuts on matsutake, but I can take them or leave them. I sometimes cook with shiitake.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,588,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Truffles ... lol

Nah... when I was living overseas I used to hunt for mushrooms, usually late Summer, early Fall. Wonderful, relaxing activity!
Now, I am getting mushrooms from the store and the selection is very poor here. Actually most of the times there are only champignons and portobello ( "old and mature" champignons )
I don't care for champignons, they are tasteless IMO. But I will buy Portobello.
I love wild mushrooms, and when I have a chance I buy chanterelles, morels, and oyster mushrooms. (pretty rare in our stores)
My favorite are porchino, butter mushroom, bay bolete, hedgehog, and red pine mushroom. I buy them dry in my homeland
I like Asian mushrooms like Shi-taki, enoki, mu err, and wood ear mushrooms for the different texture.
I don't know what you are calling a "champignon," which is just French for "mushroom." I assume you are talking about agaricus bisporus, which is the common cultured mushroom, grown indoors in a sterilized mix of wheat straw and manure. The white ones are grown in darkness, the brown ones are exposed to light. They are the same mushroom.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
The magic kind.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM

993 posts, read 1,554,368 times
Cremini! I love all mushrooms, but creminis are the most available so that's what gets my vote. They're also the most mushroomy-tasting to me, and can replace any of the other types of mushroom in a recipe.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:18 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,627,154 times
The kind that taste god awful but make you feel free and see things that aren't really there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink