Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,039,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ The biggest problem is to find those AUTHENTIC places, without thinking that maybe they are not, and the food is made for what they think will please my palate...
I could have the conversation about authentic versus Americanized until I am blue in the face. I once had a co-worker ask me why she couldn't find St. Louis Chicken in Atlanta at a local Chinese restaurant. I told her there was no such thing as St. Louis Chicken in China and it was made for the locals. She looked at me like I was speaking to her in Chinese

I am the type of person that when I travel to a foreign country - I want to experience the food of the locals (but "want" a western/American bathroom) If there is a new cuisine I am experiencing, I ask the server, what would you eat of the menu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,789,212 times
1. Go to Japan.
2. Get off the plane and head to the nice American style toilet with 5000 buttons, a warmed seat and a bidet..
3. Take your train. Out to the country. Not even the far country. Just any place that isn't right in town. Any smaller train station or outdoor recreational area will do.
4. Prepare to learn a whole new way of using the bathroom.

Squat toilet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM

61,276 posts, read 86,169,461 times
^^^ American style toilet does NOT include bidet. I thought, you knew that.
And going to Japan is not the topic of this forum

Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,766,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Simple you order sushi by piece, of course it still won't cut it because there aren't many skilled sushi chefs around since most sushi places today have mexicans making the same rolls while in Japan it takes a sushi master 6 years to master the art. I can assure you that sushi prepared by a real master does not taste like the ones you've had at American sushi places.
Do you mean ordering each sushi ingredient separately? If so, then this simply will not work for me.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,954,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
When I go to a sushi bar I don't use a menu and I ask the Itamae to prepare his favorite items for me. This thread is more of the same - a useless generalization lumping all Americans into some misanthropic category.
Given your reputation on other threads, I'm dying to know if you tip the Itamae.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,782,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Given your reputation on other threads, I'm dying to know if you tip the Itamae.
Well of course, he's actually preparing the food and delivering it directly to me . However, regarding the rest of the "sushi bar etiquette" - I don't find anything sacred about rice so I actually dip the tip of the rice ball into the soy sauce.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,221,397 times
I miss the all-you-can-eat sushi places in CT.

I can't stand that mayonnaise crap on it. What's that about??

I really don't care who makes it as long as it's good. Most places we went to in CT were run by Chinese (out of NY) I do like some of the different rolls, though. But no fake crab or spicy shrimp salad and for heaven's sake, NO SPAM.

If you love sushi, you should try poke! (on the beach in Hawaii with a Longboard beer)

Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,415,705 times
Eating raw fish, no thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM

4,563 posts, read 5,622,945 times
Default Unless you really like cream cheese, never, never go to a sushi restaurant in El Paso, Texas.

I agree -- that "Typical American Sushi Platter" doesn't much resemble what I get at Sushi restaurants here on the East coast. Here's three different meals, from three different New England states, mostly at "Chinese-Japanese" restaurants (because that's what we have out here):

Quote:
tip the Itamae.
In at least half the sushi restaurants, there is no tip jar on the sushi bar; I try to buy him a drink, but in the USA he will rarely accept.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,910,461 times
Hopefully the place I booked for the wife on her Bday isn't too Americanized:

Pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink