U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,065,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I miss the all-you-can-eat sushi places in CT.

I can't stand that mayonnaise crap on it. What's that about??

I really don't care who makes it as long as it's good. Most places we went to in CT were run by Chinese (out of NY) I do like some of the different rolls, though. But no fake crab or spicy shrimp salad and for heaven's sake, NO SPAM.

If you love sushi, you should try poke! (on the beach in Hawaii with a Longboard beer)
Mayonnaise and sushi--- gross.

I don't know why the typical American has to have cheese and creamy sauces on everything. Cheese and eggs (mayo) aren't condiments. Cheese with fish is gross to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,282,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Cheese with fish is gross to begin with.
So you dislike sandwiches such as McDonald's Filet-O-Fish?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Mayonnaise and sushi--- gross.

I don't know why the typical American has to have cheese and creamy sauces on everything. Cheese and eggs (mayo) aren't condiments. Cheese with fish is gross to begin with.
Maybe not for sushi, but the Japanese sure love that Kewpie mayonnaise in their own right. We're not so alone with that predilection!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 8,543,320 times
Hmm, I think the 'Americanization' of Japanese food such as sushi is awesome.

I suppose one could consider the origin of Americanized sushi to be the Japanese chef that created the California roll back in L.A. in the 60's (inventor was possibly a Japanese chef in Canada).

I don't know what kind of sushi they serve in Japan, even the ones in the busy city and tourist areas. I would think the kind of sushi they serve in that place featured in the "Jiro" documentary to be true authentic sushi.

But it's not something I would get excited about as I'm not really a purist. As long as the fish and rice are fresh, I don't think I could really discern the difference.

I actually like things like dragon roll and sushi with fried stuff in it. I go to a place called Kula sushi in downtown L.A. which has one of those revolving belts with sushi plates on them. Lots of variety, kobe beef sushi, and stuff with mayo. For traditional sushi I like raw salmon, cooked shrimp, salmon roe, hamachi, and egg.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,575,545 times
Bluefin tuna wasn't even a popular fish for sushi until the 1960-1970s. It used to be considered a trash fish by the Japanese and as well as Americans, and the US even used to dump bluefin on Japan to get rid of it. That of course all changed once both cultures began preferring more fatty meats, which in this case is the now highly prized bluefin tuna belly sushi (otoro).

Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,206,536 times
Sometimes I think people want traditional food just so they can make condescending statements to other people.

I like traditional food as much as the next, but jeeze... keep your mouth shut about it.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times
Traditional style means quality ingredients and simplicity. New takes on sushi mainly infused them with additional flavors to entice people with fixed palates.

Over a decade ago you couldn't find sushi outside of Asian towns because it catered almost exclusively to Asians. Today sushi is everywhere such as this sushi tray below from Costcos.

We're getting close to the point where something like a Taco Bell for Sushi will show up and then we will get all sorts of frankenstein sushis.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM

912 posts, read 1,189,818 times
I'm well aware that when I am eating a sushi roll featuring shrimp tempura and spicy mayo that it's far removed from authentic Japanese sushi. However...I don't actually care. I also love sushi featuring simple and fresh raw fish, and you'll find plenty of that on my plate as well. I'm also under no illusions that something fried with a creamy sauce on top is healthy for me, but I eat sushi so rarely that...well, again, I don't care.

In my mind, it's not a bad thing that ethnic foods are becoming more accessible to the masses, even if some Americanization is involved. Take my husband, for example. When we first started dating, he was an incredibly picky eater -- a lot of foods were just unfamiliar to him. He started off by eating sushi similar to what I described above -- shrimp tempura in a spicy sauce. Over time, he branched out gradually -- these days, he loves a plate of sushi similar to your "authentic" picture on the first page. He never would have gotten there without the Americanized sushi, and I have to think he's not the only one with such an experience.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't doubt that good sushi places do exist but it's the clientele they must serve and most Americans want special "American" style rolls vs traditional Japanese rolls. Which means lots of philly cream cheese, bacon, and mayo.
I can't claim to have eaten tons of sushi, but I've never, ever had any with "philly cream cheese, bacon, and mayo" in it. Perhaps it's more common where you live?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,585,752 times
I'll eat Americanized 'sushi' rather than the authentic rapers-of-the-seas sushi anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or