U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

Ethnic-influenced cuisine prepared in America for American tastes isn't an authentic replication of what one would receive in the dish's country of origin? Say it ain't so!!!

I've eaten my share of "American" food in other countries, and it's not like what I get at home, either. I never went in expecting that it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I'm well aware that when I am eating a sushi roll featuring shrimp tempura and spicy mayo that it's far removed from authentic Japanese sushi. However...I don't actually care. I also love sushi featuring simple and fresh raw fish, and you'll find plenty of that on my plate as well. I'm also under no illusions that something fried with a creamy sauce on top is healthy for me, but I eat sushi so rarely that...well, again, I don't care.

In my mind, it's not a bad thing that ethnic foods are becoming more accessible to the masses, even if some Americanization is involved. Take my husband, for example. When we first started dating, he was an incredibly picky eater -- a lot of foods were just unfamiliar to him. He started off by eating sushi similar to what I described above -- shrimp tempura in a spicy sauce. Over time, he branched out gradually -- these days, he loves a plate of sushi similar to your "authentic" picture on the first page. He never would have gotten there without the Americanized sushi, and I have to think he's not the only one with such an experience.
I agree, I think mainstream is the only way to gain acceptance. With the acceptance of sushi today, authentic places are even harder to get in. Many well known places through yelps are super busy and packed these days. Places that serve buffet style sushi keeps popping up though.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM

642 posts, read 908,764 times
Sometimes if you go to an ethnic restaurant and let the owners/chef/waitress/waiter know you'd appreciate sampling the "real stuff" they will accommodate you.... I've made friends this way in fact.... and may I say YUM to the more authentic stuff.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,742,027 times
Exclamation Many, if not most, Thai restaurants have a "special" menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Sometimes if you go to an ethnic restaurant and let the owners/chef/waitress/waiter know you'd appreciate sampling the "real stuff" they will accommodate you.... I've made friends this way in fact.... and may I say YUM to the more authentic stuff.
This works particularly well for southeast Asian cuisine.

OTOH, if you go to an ethnic restaurant and they ask you how hot you want your food prepared on a scale of 1-10, never say "10". The chef tends to take this as a personal challenge, and will load up your dish with the house equivalent of Dave's insanity Ghost Pepper sauce. Better to ask for a 9 and get a little flavor with your capsaicin.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 PM

303 posts, read 332,842 times
Every country has foreign/ethnic/etc. food somewhat catered to their (local, national) tastes. I remember having Chinese in France or Sushi in Turkey...It is not just an American thing. Fact of the matter is, this is a global world we live in and there really is no such thing as "pure" food. It is all somewhat of a fusion, to varying degrees. Just eat what you like and who cares who says what. All of the sushi places I have been to are a combo of the two pics in the first post and you just choose what appeals to you. No problem with that.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 8,536,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Traditional style means quality ingredients and simplicity. New takes on sushi mainly infused them with additional flavors to entice people with fixed palates.

Over a decade ago you couldn't find sushi outside of Asian towns because it catered almost exclusively to Asians. Today sushi is everywhere such as this sushi tray below from Costcos.

We're getting close to the point where something like a Taco Bell for Sushi will show up and then we will get all sorts of frankenstein sushis.
Also, the quality of these sushi plates in supermarkets have been improving.

Years ago the quality of these plates were atrocious. Soggy rice and the like.

Nowadays the sushi they serve in grocery stores like Safeway and Vons are quite tasty.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Mayonnaise and sushi--- gross.

I don't know why the typical American has to have cheese and creamy sauces on everything. Cheese and eggs (mayo) aren't condiments. Cheese with fish is gross to begin with.

Mayo............yuck, cannot stand.

I mean it tastes OK, but the disgusting sliminess, UCK.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Japanese style thanks

- including sashimi.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:21 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,626,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Ethnic-influenced cuisine prepared in America for American tastes isn't an authentic replication of what one would receive in the dish's country of origin? Say it ain't so!!!

I've eaten my share of "American" food in other countries, and it's not like what I get at home, either. I never went in expecting that it would be.
I love to eat at sushi places... I usually order a California roll as a side, not as my main thing. Ebi, unagi (my favorite of all time!), octopus, salmon, hamachi, bluefin... love it all, even the roe. I've noticed the whole mayonnaise/cream cheese with everything thing and it doesn't taste bad to me. I'm not gonna be picky about it- it's a good way to get people

I will say that, for the record, Americanized sushi is FAR better than Asianized versions of foods that are sort of thought of as American- After several weeks of eating nothing but curries, rice, noodles, chicken, fish sauce, etc. in Southeast Asia, I got adventurous and tried pizza in Hoi An, Vietnam, and a cheeseburger in a hotel restaurant in Saigon.

Bleeeech.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
Crave’s Cheetah Roll
Inside: Surimi Crab Mix, Cream Cheese, Cucumber, Avacado, Siracha, Spicy Mayo and Flamin Hot Cheetos
Outside: Pink Soy Paper, Crushed Flamin Hot Cheetos, Wasabi Cream and Jalapenos

Crave's Cheetah Roll – Crave Sushi

I bet you could make a Tex/Mex version just by swapping out to some crushed Doritos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or