U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,495,289 times

Advertisements

Sushin being Americanized has been around for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM

6,944 posts, read 8,875,359 times
I have to agree that sushi involving cream cheese is an abomination.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM

11,821 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I love to eat at sushi places... I usually order a California roll as a side, not as my main thing. Ebi, unagi (my favorite of all time!), octopus, salmon, hamachi, bluefin... love it all, even the roe. I've noticed the whole mayonnaise/cream cheese with everything thing and it doesn't taste bad to me. I'm not gonna be picky about it- it's a good way to get people

I will say that, for the record, Americanized sushi is FAR better than Asianized versions of foods that are sort of thought of as American- After several weeks of eating nothing but curries, rice, noodles, chicken, fish sauce, etc. in Southeast Asia, I got adventurous and tried pizza in Hoi An, Vietnam, and a cheeseburger in a hotel restaurant in Saigon.

Bleeeech.
If you've been to Asia already then you would know that most eatries have very low standards compare to here. There's no such thing as Health inspectors even though they do exist.

I've been to many parts of Asia, I would have to agree and disagree to some extent. Most affordable places in Asia have low quality foods. Big cities that feature American food often make very good copies and improvements too.

Most places I've sampled make a better hamburger than American places. McDonalds had higher quality menus and choices than American McD. There are some weird stuff that we don't have here but overall better quality.

The Fries there are sweet vs salty but that's a preference issue not about quality.

Pizza is pretty bad in Asia even though some places had fancy pizza it just didn't taste right because the dough in most Asian countries just aren't the same.

As for sushi, its not hard to get sushi right if you use quality ingredients. If you take the time to make sushi right you will get it right than making it too fast. That's the problem with most places is they rush the hand rolling process and preparations. The rolling should be the quickest but it needs the right technique and rice should be good sushi grade rice and proper ratio of mirin and steam properly.

I've made sushi at home for my kids and they love it and my technique ain't great but I use quality ingredients and most sushi places keep using the bad stuff and put a lot of cream sauces like spicy mayo or teriyaki sauces to mask it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
There is no such thing as "right."

Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,170,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That "typical" Japanese sushi platter is missing the Amaebi accompaniment - fried shrimp head. The sushi bars I frequent would never forget to provide the entire Amaebi experience.
There is a great place we frequent that serves this and grilled squid, yum on both accounts! I don't typically eat fried stuff and I have no idea if it's authentic (nor do I care) but this is pretty tasty.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,711,277 times
Now I am craving Sushi...Americanized please!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,679,930 times
Nothing is as good to me as a fresh delicious tuna roll but with soybean paper. I cannot stand the seaweed taste. But mix some wasabi into the soy and then a dab of wasabi on top of the roll. Yum!

First pic in the OP with no wrap looks like sashimi more than sushi.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Now I am craving Sushi...Americanized please!
Tuna belly with a slice of American cheese .

Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,946,389 times
I dont sushi regularly, so a little extra calories isnt going to make any difference

I probably eat sushi 3 - 4 times a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or