Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

I've had a lots of nigiri around and very few places these days put the wasabi underneath each piece of fish and most places cut their tuna far too thin to demand a $25 plate. The consistency of the rice is an issue, too many places rush making the rice balls and always falls apart due to the use of non-sushi grade rice and poor rice vinegar mixing.

I don't doubt that good sushi places do exist but it's the clientele they must serve and most Americans want special "American" style rolls vs traditional Japanese rolls. Which means lots of philly cream cheese, bacon, and mayo.

Sometimes I looked over at someone's left overs, the wasabi and pickled ginger are frequently untouched or moved aside. Guess they don't need them when the rolls have their own sauces piled on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
For those folks that believe that Japanese folks live longer because they eat a lot of Sushi. The same is not true if you eat Sushi tailored for Americans cuisine.

Whenever I go to a Japanese sushi place and look at the menu, I see tons of these special rolls such as Philly, Dragon, or special theme rolls. You will never find these creations at a real Japanese sushi restaurant.

The difference is that traditional Japanese sushi rolls feature very simple fresh ingredients and lots of seafood instead of all these fusion sushi rolls.

A common Japanese sushi platter would include sushi made with octopus, squid, different variety of raw fish, fish roes, egg, pickles, and cucumbers.

In American most people order sushi such as, california roll, spicy tuna, philly cheese stuffed, Tempura fried shrimp, and bacon with lettuce and mayo.

What the hell? Sushi with bacon, lettuce and mayo?

In any case, I'm pretty sure people here aren't eating sushi for longevity.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...You are just lucky to find a good sushi restaurants, but the fact is that there were many mediocre and even more really bad. Nowadays even Chinese buffets try to sell sushi...
I'm very particular about where I'll eat sushi. I won't eat supermarket, gas station, or Chinese buffet sushi. I like to talk to the Itamae at a sushi bar regarding what's available and what he recommends. I like to let the Itamae know that I'm knowledgeable and I like to try "fringe" items. I've had some very interesting sushi items by talking to the Itamae.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That "typical" Japanese sushi platter is missing the Amaebi accompaniment - fried shrimp head. The sushi bars I frequent would never forget to provide the entire Amaebi experience.
I've posted pics of my sushi platters with the fried shrimp head and some people thought it looks disgusting. I always thought the shrimp head symbolizes seafood freshness and looks very decorative. Most sushi places that cater to Americans usually concentrate on quantity, large variation of their custom rolls, and 1/2 price specials.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I think we should not get too precious about sushi, although I actually don't recognize that second picture as a "typical American" sushi platter. Most people I know eat of the first example, and even the maligned California roll is avocado, crab and cucumber. What on earth is so abominable or unhealthful about that? It was a spontaneous fusion dish created by a REAL! LIVE! JAPANESE CHEF!, the avocado meant to mimic the fattiness of toro, which American fishmongers hadn't yet discovered as a commodity.

So other creations are a bit overwrought. They're diversions, speaking from my experience. No one claims they're authentic, and the purity of sushi is largely intact. Still...it's just food. Sushi refers to the rice. Whatever else you do with it that floats your boat, have fun.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't doubt that good sushi places do exist but it's the clientele they must serve and most Americans want special "American" style rolls vs traditional Japanese rolls. Which means lots of philly cream cheese, bacon, and mayo.

Sometimes I looked over at someone's left overs, the wasabi and pickled ginger are frequently untouched or moved aside. Guess they don't need them when the rolls have their own sauces piled on.
You really need to stop generalizing about Americans and sushi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I think we should not get too precious about sushi, although I actually don't recognize that second picture as a "typical American" sushi platter. Most people I know eat of the first example, and even the maligned California roll is avocado, crab and cucumber. What on earth is so abominable or unhealthful about that? It was a spontaneous fusion dish created by a REAL! LIVE! JAPANESE CHEF!, the avocado meant to mimic the fattiness of toro, which American fishmongers hadn't yet discovered as a commodity.

So other creations are a bit overwrought. They're diversions, speaking from my experience. No one claims they're authentic, and the purity of sushi is largely intact. Still...it's just food. Sushi refers to the rice. Whatever else you do with it that floats your boat, have fun.
Good post!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
The notions of sauces/dips that have become popular over the past few years escapes me. I have seen the crap they shoot on "sushi" that reminds me of 1000 Island salad dressing. Never had it on my own but i often wonder WTF?

I am not an avid TV viewer but when sports are concerned and that brings out the fast food commercials in numbers. Everything from pizza to Mcnuggets seemingly need to be dunked into some sauce to give it flavor. Throw in a quart of dipping crap with that order. It is nothing more than sugar/salt/fats slipped into one's diet to cause obesity/diabetes or whatever else the crap can give you.

I'll have all my food plain, thank you.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Simple you order sushi by piece, of course it still won't cut it because there aren't many skilled sushi chefs around since most sushi places today have mexicans making the same rolls while in Japan it takes a sushi master 6 years to master the art. I can assure you that sushi prepared by a real master does not taste like the ones you've had at American sushi places.

You should try making sushi sometime. If you make it at home, it tastes pretty much the same. There is a dish called chirashi - it means "scattered sushi." You can't beat my wife's. I've eaten a lot of sushi and hers is the best. Then again, she's been cooking Japanese food for 40 years.

I make a pretty mean sushi myself. But I've only been making it for 20 years or so. Your mileage may vary.

There is a "sushi" restaurant in Winchester that came recommended from a friend who said they were good. The rice had no flavor - unless you count water as a flavor - and no life at all. I think it was ashamed to be called sushi rice. All the topping pieces tasted like they had been frozen for ever. If you eat a shrimp and it tastes almost like the salmon, your sushi has issues.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:48 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
When I think about Americanized sushi, I think about Chinese-American food. Some people think that egg foo young is authentic Chinese food. Even though it isn't, if they enjoy who cares. I am not the authentic Chinese police. Sometimes I enjoy some "trashy" Chinese-American food too

Now am I going to order some uni from a Japanese-American sushi joint - um no But do I enjoy some Americanized makis - yep There is a place for authentic and there is a place for something than has been altered for the local market. If it's tasty - then it is tasty

Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ The biggest problem is to find those AUTHENTIC places, without thinking that maybe they are not, and the food is made for what they think will please my palate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink