U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NYC
11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Reputation: 12811

Advertisements

For those folks that believe that Japanese folks live longer because they eat a lot of Sushi. The same is not true if you eat Sushi tailored for Americans cuisine.

Whenever I go to a Japanese sushi place and look at the menu, I see tons of these special rolls such as Philly, Dragon, or special theme rolls. You will never find these creations at a real Japanese sushi restaurant.

The difference is that traditional Japanese sushi rolls feature very simple fresh ingredients and lots of seafood instead of all these fusion sushi rolls.

A common Japanese sushi platter would include sushi made with octopus, squid, different variety of raw fish, fish roes, egg, pickles, and cucumbers.

In American most people order sushi such as, california roll, spicy tuna, philly cheese stuffed, Tempura fried shrimp, and bacon with lettuce and mayo.

Certainly the American fusion sushis are the least healthy because the abundant use of creams and cheeses and battered and fried seafoods.

Sushi is going through the same transformation as Chinese food. More American flavors added to it.

Typical Japan sushi platter:



Typical American sushi platter:

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,707 posts, read 4,280,411 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A common Japanese sushi platter would include sushi made with octopus, squid, different variety of raw fish, fish roes, egg, pickles, and cucumbers.
And please tell us--where exactly can one find and buy cheap traditional Japanese sushi here in southern California?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Reputation: 28069
When I go to a sushi bar I don't use a menu and I ask the Itamae to prepare his favorite items for me. This thread is more of the same - a useless generalization lumping all Americans into some misanthropic category.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM
 
Location: NYC
11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Reputation: 12811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
And please tell us--where exactly can one find and buy cheap traditional Japanese sushi here in southern California?
Simple you order sushi by piece, of course it still won't cut it because there aren't many skilled sushi chefs around since most sushi places today have mexicans making the same rolls while in Japan it takes a sushi master 6 years to master the art. I can assure you that sushi prepared by a real master does not taste like the ones you've had at American sushi places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Reputation: 28069
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
...there aren't many skilled sushi chefs around since most sushi places today have mexicans making the same rolls...
This is speculation and generalization - if you're going to make these statements let's see some supporting data. I've been to plenty of sushi bars where the Itamae was Japanese. I've also been to sushi bars where a Mexican and/or American Itamae was trained by a Japanese Itamae over the course of five years or more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,553 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971
Yeah, it's very hard, or perhaps almost impossible to find an authentic ethnic food here where I live. Everything is "Americanized" because only that kind of food sells. I saw places that started with fairly authentic food, but later on slowly changed it to better fit local palates. And yes, in most ethnic places I saw kitchens full of Mexicans working there. They were told and shown how to prepare the dishes, but they are not skilled or properly trained in culinary schools. Most of them never traveled to any of those places, and never had an opportunity to see it properly prepared, or even tasted the authentic food made in those countries.
Maybe in the top notch restaurants someone in the kitchen actually went through proper training, went to culinary school or even traveled the world, but in most places you will find unskilled people who think they can cook, and just hope for the best.
Sometimes to cook really authentic food is very hard, because they cannot get the authentic ingredients, or some food regulations prevent them from using those. Or importing those ingredients would raise the prices, and make the dishes difficult to sell.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,455,585 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A common Japanese sushi platter would include sushi made with octopus, squid, different variety of raw fish, fish roes, egg, pickles, and cucumbers.
It isn't hard at all to find that manner of sushi at all in my city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Reputation: 28069
That "typical" Japanese sushi platter is missing the Amaebi accompaniment - fried shrimp head. The sushi bars I frequent would never forget to provide the entire Amaebi experience.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,553 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971
^^^ You are just lucky to find a good sushi restaurants, but the fact is that there were many mediocre and even more really bad. Nowadays even Chinese buffets try to sell sushi...

Are We The Nation Of Sushi Abomination?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...lNQ_print.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, it's very hard, or perhaps almost impossible to find an authentic ethnic food here where I live. Everything is "Americanized" because only that kind of food sells. I saw places that started with fairly authentic food, but later on slowly changed it to better fit local palates. And yes, in most ethnic places I saw kitchens full of Mexicans working there. They were told and shown how to prepare the dishes, but they are not skilled or properly trained in culinary schools. Most of them never traveled to any of those places, and never had an opportunity to see it properly prepared, or even tasted the authentic food made in those countries.
Maybe in the top notch restaurants someone in the kitchen actually went through proper training, went to culinary school or even traveled the world, but in most places you will find unskilled people who think they can cook, and just hope for the best.
Sometimes to cook really authentic food is very hard, because they cannot get the authentic ingredients, or some food regulations prevent them from using those. Or importing those ingredients would raise the prices, and make the dishes difficult to sell.
It happens everywhere, it's not just an American invention. Have you ever eaten "American" food in a foreign country?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top