U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,169,746 times

Advertisements

I love to make individual servings of lasagna, lasagna roll-ups, or stuffed shells and freeze them. Those mini-loaf sized aluminum pans are the perfect size for it. I also make cabbage rolls and freeze those in the same containers. I cover each of these with either meat sauce or marinara sauce.

I also like cheesy chicken casserole (I add noodles or rice when I reheat the casserole) frozen in individual servings.

Of course, I freeze soups, chili's, etc. Oh, and enchiladas! You can also prepare marinated raw chicken breasts (a pesto marinade is yummy), or chicken cordon bleu (keeping it raw), or rice stuffed chicken, etc. - put them frozen in the containers that you can cook them in, and then take them straight from the freezer to the oven. It makes a yummy fresh dinner, and all your prep work was done in advance.

These are all things I do on the weekend, so that during the week I can have slow-cooked meals that took no more effort than throwing something in the oven.

Make sure that if you pre-cook an item (like the meat sauce for lasagna, etc.) that you allow it to cool completely before you wrap it up and put it in the freezer. You don't want any steam at all, because when it freezes against the food, it'll make it taste not very good when it's warmed back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 PM

36,438 posts, read 41,875,020 times
I freeze almost all dairy products including butter, milk, cream cheese. haven't tried cream or yogurt. for milk be sure to shake it up really well.
I also freeze flour, grits, corn meal,tomato products like tomato paste and sauce if I haven't used a can all up.
I also have learned to reuse the expensive food saver bags. I used to toss them but decided that was wasteful. Now I wash them out and use them for smaller dribs and drabs. I'm always looking for ways to save money.
blueberries and strawberries don't last well for me even after rinsing in vinegar so I freeze them on cookie trays and then store them loose in containers. That way I grab a handful of berries for pancakes, waffles or other recipes. Of course i freeze all nuts too. Too expensive to let go rancid.

I sometimes make a big batch of pancakes or waffles for breakfast, then freeze any pancakes or waffles in storage bags. this makes great after school snacks for the kids they just pop in the toaster. no preservatives. I freeze egg yolks for recipes.
make our own freezer pops, freeze half cakes all the time so we won't be tempted to eat a whole cake. put any herbs in ice trays, fillup with olive oil and store in freezer bags r containers. so easy to have fresh herbs that way.
bread, buns, rice, just about everything on sale.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 PM

13,755 posts, read 22,959,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You can freeze cheese too. The bagged shredded kind and the bricks of cheese.
It depends on the variety of the cheese. Naturally crumbly cheese, like blue cheese, freeze quite well.

Blocks of cheddar don't do as well. They do not lose their taste. They don't spoil. However, they also do not slice well. That might not be an issue if you plan to make a lot of macaroni and cheese or the like.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 PM

642 posts, read 915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I love to make individual servings of lasagna, lasagna roll-ups, or stuffed shells and freeze them. Those mini-loaf sized aluminum pans are the perfect size for it. I also make cabbage rolls and freeze those in the same containers. I cover each of these with either meat sauce or marinara sauce.

I also like cheesy chicken casserole (I add noodles or rice when I reheat the casserole) frozen in individual servings.

Of course, I freeze soups, chili's, etc. Oh, and enchiladas! You can also prepare marinated raw chicken breasts (a pesto marinade is yummy), or chicken cordon bleu (keeping it raw), or rice stuffed chicken, etc. - put them frozen in the containers that you can cook them in, and then take them straight from the freezer to the oven. It makes a yummy fresh dinner, and all your prep work was done in advance.

These are all things I do on the weekend, so that during the week I can have slow-cooked meals that took no more effort than throwing something in the oven.

Make sure that if you pre-cook an item (like the meat sauce for lasagna, etc.) that you allow it to cool completely before you wrap it up and put it in the freezer. You don't want any steam at all, because when it freezes against the food, it'll make it taste not very good when it's warmed back up.
Taking homemade chili out of the freezer on a cold winter day is awesome! When I make chili, I always make a bunch extra for freezing.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 AM

13,048 posts, read 12,559,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I freeze almost all dairy products including butter, milk, cream cheese. haven't tried cream or yogurt. for milk be sure to shake it up really well.
I also freeze flour, grits, corn meal,tomato products like tomato paste and sauce if I haven't used a can all up.
I also have learned to reuse the expensive food saver bags. I used to toss them but decided that was wasteful. Now I wash them out and use them for smaller dribs and drabs. I'm always looking for ways to save money.
blueberries and strawberries don't last well for me even after rinsing in vinegar so I freeze them on cookie trays and then store them loose in containers. That way I grab a handful of berries for pancakes, waffles or other recipes. Of course i freeze all nuts too. Too expensive to let go rancid.

I sometimes make a big batch of pancakes or waffles for breakfast, then freeze any pancakes or waffles in storage bags. this makes great after school snacks for the kids they just pop in the toaster. no preservatives. I freeze egg yolks for recipes.
make our own freezer pops, freeze half cakes all the time so we won't be tempted to eat a whole cake. put any herbs in ice trays, fillup with olive oil and store in freezer bags r containers. so easy to have fresh herbs that way.
bread, buns, rice, just about everything on sale.
All that great advice and information, and what came away thinking mainly was "I would just gnaw on a frozen cake until it thawed - mere freezing will not stop me!!!" - lol.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 AM

35,835 posts, read 39,635,648 times
We freeze all fresh vegetable scraps after meal prep (roots, stems, ends, leaves, peels, etc.) And when we get a big bag, make vegetable stock, then freeze that in small portions. We do the same with chicken carcasses, ham bones, etc., and always have flavorful cooking bases on hand. I don't like seafood, or I'd do the same with shells, etc. Same concept.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,476,785 times
Pancakes! Very handy

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM

11,842 posts, read 16,584,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The year I had a prolific basil plant, I made pesto and froze it in ice cube trays, then put into a ziplock. Nice to be able to pop some out during the cold winter months!
OT - very briefly blanch basil and your pesto will stay bright green:>)

Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 AM

11,842 posts, read 16,584,961 times
Meat, pre-cooked items such as chili, stew, Bolognese sauce, blanched veggies, sliced bread, butter, milk, whisked eggs, fruit, pesto, pie crust, ...

Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 AM

31,365 posts, read 57,591,278 times
I freeze butter, sticks taken out of the package and sealed in a freezer bag. I take out each stick as I need it. Hard cheeses, too, like cheddar, swiss, parmesan, romano.

I bought a bunch of Ball freezer jars when they were on sale, and use those to freeze small portions of milk, broth, apple juice, etc. I don't always use up an entire container of these items at once, and freezing them in one-cup portions, or smaller, minimizes waste.

Meats, of course, are frozen. And leftovers! I had some waffles for breakfast, made a few weeks ago and frozen.

I also freeze whole ginger root, and slice off pieces as needed. Any spices that I've picked up on sale are frozen until I need them. I buy huge bags of cranberries when they're in season, and freeze them.

I do a lot of canning, so I don't freeze fruits and veggies, but it's certainly possible. My sister freezes homemade applesauce, sliced and peeled apples, whole berries, homemade jams and sauces, cored whole tomatoes, homemade spaghetti sauce, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or