U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,614 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others that a Foodsaver is a must.

When we bought ours we got a heap of the Foodsaver bags/rolls that came with it, but after that, I bought these and they are great quality and much cheaper than the Foodsaver brand:

Amazon.com: 2 - 11"x50' Vacuum Sealer Rolls Commercial Grade Embossed Vacuum Seal Bags: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Weston 30-0106-W 6-by-10-Inch Vacuum-Sealer Food Bags, 100 Count: Kitchen & Dining

The 6x10 bags are perfect for packaging things into smaller portions like a lb of any kind of meat, a couple of chicken breasts, a serving of stew, chili or soup etc. They do other size bags as well but that's the size we use most. You can also by 8"x50x2 rolls of the same brand.

We buy and I cook and bake a lot in bulk so we freeze everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I had thought about buying one of those, but haven't yet because 1) I didn't want another bulky appliance to store, and 2) the bags are so much more expensive than regular freezer bags.

I came across this ZipLoc Vacuum thingie online which might be a good alternative for me. Has anyone tried it?
Amazon.com: Ziploc Vacuum Starter Kit, 3-Quart Bags, 1-P: Health & Personal Care
I think someone earlier in the thread had just got one....might want to check.

That being said...I'd the foodsaver is hardly bulky, and the bags are not that expensive when you buy them by the roll, and as others mentioned, they are thick enough they can be reused. I also use mine with other sealable bags for short term storage (open a bag of chips? just seal it again without vacuum and they don't go stale...also good when you use half a package of frozen veggies - seal and toss back in the freezer) ...with the ziplock thing, you are tied into using their product and their product alone. What if your store stops carrying them?

Sometimes the cheapest option is more money in the long run.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I think someone earlier in the thread had just got one....might want to check.

That being said...I'd the foodsaver is hardly bulky, and the bags are not that expensive when you buy them by the roll, and as others mentioned, they are thick enough they can be reused. I also use mine with other sealable bags for short term storage (open a bag of chips? just seal it again without vacuum and they don't go stale...also good when you use half a package of frozen veggies - seal and toss back in the freezer) ...with the ziplock thing, you are tied into using their product and their product alone. What if your store stops carrying them?

Sometimes the cheapest option is more money in the long run.
Do you mean the food saver vacuum will work on other plastic bags like frozen veggies come in? Never thought to try that.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you mean the food saver vacuum will work on other plastic bags like frozen veggies come in? Never thought to try that.
Yep. Mine has a 'seal only' button....not sure if they all have that (mine is about 5 years old). I admit, I've never tried to vacuum seal a bag like this though.

I just put the bag in - frozen veggie, chip, etc - but not the thinner plastic ones like a bag of carrots come in - and seal. It works great for us because the chip clips and other things keep disappearing! LOL!

Sometimes you can pull the seal apart - other times I just cut just below the seal line, if I need to reseal it again.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 AM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
This thread is awesome - so much good information!

And for inquiring minds, I DO use frozen ground meat regularly, mostly in chilis and sauces or sautes. However, I prefer unfrozen ground hamburger meat for when I'm making hamburgers. I had just been told (and read) that the hamburgers have a better texture when the meat hasn't been frozen. But otherwise, I freeze meat all the time to eat later.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yep. Mine has a 'seal only' button....not sure if they all have that (mine is about 5 years old). I admit, I've never tried to vacuum seal a bag like this though.

I just put the bag in - frozen veggie, chip, etc - but not the thinner plastic ones like a bag of carrots come in - and seal. It works great for us because the chip clips and other things keep disappearing! LOL!

Sometimes you can pull the seal apart - other times I just cut just below the seal line, if I need to reseal it again.
why didn't I ever think of that? We use paper clips, chip clips, staples and all sorts of silly things. I'll try that today. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or