U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 AM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times

Advertisements

I'm starting this thread because I'm hoping to get a deep freezer soon.

What are some things that you freeze that many people don't think about freezing? What's the optimal way to freeze those items? Any drawbacks to freezing the food? (For example, I tend not to make burgers out of ground beef that has been frozen and defrosted.) When you freeze veggies and fruit on your own (not purchased frozen), how do you do it?

Some things I know people freeze but seem kind of odd to me are butter, lunch meat, guacamole (mentioned in a Costco thread)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM

5,402 posts, read 5,224,013 times
I always freeze butter. I buy a lot when it is on sale and freeze in plastic bags. The same with bread. Use within 6 mos.

The best appliance I have bought is the Food Saver. I can freeze meats up to 1 yr. without any freezer burn. Same with vegetables and hard cheeses.

The only things I do not freeze are cream based sauces, they separate when thawed. I don't freeze cold cuts, they seem to get slimy.

There are other things that don't freeze well, vegetables that already have a lot of water in them.
Zucchini, eggplant, celery.

I do have a question for you. Why wouldn't you make burgers out of defrosted beef? As long as it hasn't been refrozen after defrosted there isn't a problem. kelsie

Last edited by kelsie; 05-28-2014 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
Potatoes tend to get milly in the freezer.

Berries need to be frozen separately on cookie sheets and then put into a bag or they all gum up together.... which is okay if you plan to make preserves or something like that.

I love to freeze individual servings of soups, casseroles, etc to take out as homemade "fast food".... however, it is true that freezing decreases the nutrients somewhat.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Some things I know people freeze but seem kind of odd to me are butter, lunch meat, guacamole (mentioned in a Costco thread)

Thanks!
I freeze butter because I use so little that it takes me forever to get through a package. I freeze lunch meat whenever it goes on sale buy 2/get 3 free (same with shredded cheese). Never had a problem with the meat being slimy.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
I freeze all sorts of things. Blanched veggies, meats, seafood and fish. One favor thing that I like to do is pre-make my version of TV dinners and freeze them. On lazy days I just pop one into the stove and dinner is ready.

A deep freezer is a great investment and would most like pay for itself within the first year if you shop and freeze wisely.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post

The best appliance I have bought is the Food Saver.
This^^^. If you are going to buy a freezer, seriously consider also purchasing a Food Saver. It makes a huge difference in the quality of your frozen foods.

I like to freeze chicken stock/broth. Whenever you boil or stew a chicken (or parts), just strain off the broth, put it in a small container or bag (I use those semi-disposable plastic containers by zip lock, or the cleaned containers from lunch meat) & freeze. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop out & put into a large freezer zip lock bag, to use as needed. You can also freeze fresh herbs in some water in an ice tray, then store in a zip lock freezer bag. As previously mentioned, you need to freeze things that would fuse together when frozen, like berries, shrimp, etc., first on a cookie sheet, or carefully separated in a bag.

Don't Food-Saver stuff like the herbs in ice cubes, etc., since you would have to unseal the bag whenever you wanted to use some--those bags are more for long-term storage.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
When I buy meats on sale and don't have any plans on preparing them within a certain amount of time, into the freezer they go. I also freeze my butter and take out a stick at a time (I read that is the best way to store butter because in the refrigerator it tends to pick up the odors).

My most recent experiment is basil - I had an abundance. I took the leaves and laid them flat in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. The way that my plant is producing leaves I wonder if those leaves will ever make their way into a dish in the near future.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
This^^^. If you are going to buy a freezer, seriously consider also purchasing a Food Saver. It makes a huge difference in the quality of your frozen foods.

I like to freeze chicken stock/broth. Whenever you boil or stew a chicken (or parts), just strain off the broth, put it in a small container or bag (I use those semi-disposable plastic containers by zip lock, or the cleaned containers from lunch meat) & freeze. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop out & put into a large freezer zip lock bag, to use as needed. You can also freeze fresh herbs in some water in an ice tray, then store in a zip lock freezer bag. As previously mentioned, you need to freeze things that would fuse together when frozen, like berries, shrimp, etc., first on a cookie sheet, or carefully separated in a bag.

Don't Food-Saver stuff like the herbs in ice cubes, etc., since you would have to unseal the bag whenever you wanted to use some--those bags are more for long-term storage.
This reminded me that I sometimes deglaze a pan after cooking a steak and freeze that for soup.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:07 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,097,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
When I buy meats on sale and don't have any plans on preparing them within a certain amount of time, into the freezer they go. I also freeze my butter and take out a stick at a time (I read that is the best way to store butter because in the refrigerator it tends to pick up the odors).

My most recent experiment is basil - I had an abundance. I took the leaves and laid them flat in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. The way that my plant is producing leaves I wonder if those leaves will ever make their way into a dish in the near future.
The year I had a prolific basil plant, I made pesto and froze it in ice cube trays, then put into a ziplock. Nice to be able to pop some out during the cold winter months!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The year I had a prolific basil plant, I made pesto and froze it in ice cube trays, then put into a ziplock. Nice to be able to pop some out during the cold winter months!
YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or