Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 03:54 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times

Advertisements

Okay, I want to cook some fish, crab, and other seafood outside on one of those grills they have at the parks. However, those things always look so dirty. I know I'm supposed to put down aluminum foil to cover it somehow but how do I do so exactly?

Also, what's the best (i.e. easy but tasty) way to cook fish, crab, and oysters on a grill like this? My idea is to buy it fresh and cook it up outside without taking it home to mess up the kitchen (especially crab).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:02 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
wrap contents in foil with squash and other veggies with liberal amounts of butter and fresh lemon juice. season to taste.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
use plenty of tinfoil, people urinate in those things- id season fish fillets, wrap well in tinfoil, place on the cars engine on the ride over to the park- they could be done by the time you get there.....

or

use plenty of briquettes to get these grills super hot to kill any and all bacteria
use fish fillets -season and cook in tinfoil...bring a couple lemons to squeeze

for crabs or other shellfish,,,some nearby stores may cook these for free- many stores up here will cook lobsters at no charge

Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
For large shellfish, I'd take a portable stove and boil some water to cook them in. I don't think that grilling them is the best way. You could put a pot of water on a grill? For smaller shellfish, I'd sautee or not have them for a picnic at a park unless precooked somehow. Just my preferences.

For fish, I'd marinate in teriyaki sauce and grill, or grill after marinating in a Mexican-type lime juice and spice marinade. You don't want to marinate fish too long, though, otherwise you won't taste the fish much.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
wrap contents in foil with squash and other veggies with liberal amounts of butter and fresh lemon juice. season to taste.
Aluminum foil and an acid - no thanks.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:24 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Home Depot sells some great black shiny grilling surfaces, meant for gas grills...they have hundreds of little holes punched in them. They are made specifically for grilling small things, like seafood, so that they cannot fall through to the coals/gas burners. They are terrific.

One other thing that works great is one of those disposable aluminum roasting pans that you would buy to roast your Thanksgiving turkey. Just don't use it over flame - use it once the coals are hot and already glowing. Pick one up at the market that is the appropriate size for the grill you will be using. You can make small slits in the bottom if you like and if you aren't putting anything in the pan that will drip through and start a blaze beneath.

The Home Depot thing is what you should use, though. And put that lemon juice on your food after it's done.

Mine is flat, but here is one that's really, really great as well!:

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/Wok_...p/bge-wt12.htm

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,917 times
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I do have a follow-up question. If you stick the items in aluminum foil, how does it get any of the fire/smoke flavor?

Old 05-31-2014, 06:05 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Hate foil- stuff just boils in it. Take a grill brush with you. Get the fire hot and clean the thing. There are great hinged grill baskets for everything from burgers to fish. Take a whole gutted fish. stuff it with lemon slices, garlic, fresh herbs and set grill basket on the grate or raised with stones or wet sticks. Salt & pepper - brush with oil. Crisp smokey skin - - Shrimp can be marinated on skewers at home and done direct on the grate or clamped in a flat basket. Shellfish whole or half-shell direct on the grate brushed with seasoned butter when they open. Throw on some corn in their husks - bake some potatoes.

Honestly never did crab on a grill -- seem too delicate. Steamed them in a pit though - hot stones and lots of seaweed.

Use wood if possible for your fire.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I've never heard of grilling crab, oysters or other shellfish inside tinfoil. On a home BBQ, they can be set directly on the grill over the flames and they BBQ nicely. The oysters are grilled after being shucked, on the half-shell. Fish don't need much time to cook, so I'd wrap them in tinfoil and grill them inside a long-handled grilling basket like you can get for campfires.

I wouldn't use an outdoor grill at a campground, personally, they truly are filthy. I'd take a portable BBQ of some sort if in any way possible, or cook the seafood at home.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
For any shellfish bring a steamer pan!! I steam all my clams, lobster and the rare crab. The flavor is in the shellfish itself so if your concerned about bad cooking conditions, just steam em in the pan with direct contact with the grill as it's all contained in the pan..And when your done squeeze some lemon on em and have your butter ready.

And as another poster mentioned many supermarkets will steam your shellfish at no cost. Don't think that applies to your
situation unless one is down the road.

Cooking fish is another matter. Clean the grill and get the briquettes going and cook the fish in an aluminum pan covered with foil..Cooking fish another matter as it does depend on what type your cooking..I'm assuming cod or haddock here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink