U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

DH and I traditionally each have the same thing for birthdays. Outback blooming onion and a wedge salad with filet. I know its not gourmet, or anything, but we just fell into the habit of having that. Birthday cake, of course.

I'm not sure what gourmet birthday meal I would choose, but it would be a very high calorie one, like Lobster Newburg maybe..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
My birthday is Monday!

I'm in a cut right now, so I won't be indulging on my birthday. But when I'd spend my birthdays with my family, my favorite meal would either be a cheesesteak with all the fixins (we're from PA) plus fries and onion rings OR anything my mom and dad make, as they are both fantastic chefs. Dessert was always a Wegman's fruit tart. If you live near a Wegman's and haven't tried their fruit tart, you don't know the heaven you've been missing.

I live in Denver at the moment. Since I like to try new things, especially regional dishes, my hypothetical perfect birthday dinner out here would be to finally give Rocky Mountain oysters a try.
Oh, I have had those rocky mountain oysters. They smell good when they're cooking, but they're kinda gross.

Hi,

I know this is off-topic but I really want to know.

I was thinking of preparing a cheesesteak at home, and I wanted to know what is the best bread to use, what is the best beef to use, and would Lawry's seasoning salt be adequate as a seasoning for the meat.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Anything I don't have to cook myself.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Could be bread and water as long as theres peace and quiet.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

3,290 posts, read 2,179,571 times
1/2 dozen raw oysters
honey glazed Cornish hen
mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, spinach
apple pie with ice cream, and 2 Tequila sunrises

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,252,425 times
Bacon.... Bacon.... Bacon.... Bacon.... Bacon.... Bacon....

Need I say more! :-)

Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
A bread-plate-sized portion of Lobster Thermador
One perfectly-formed baked stuffed shrimp with real crab stuffing
A 2-bite portion of a fillet mignon medallion wrapped in bacon

A side salad of wild field greens, glazed pecans, gorgonzola cheese, organic grape tomatoes, and garlicky balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Several stalks of of sauteed asparagus with olive oil, soy sauce, and garlic.

For dessert: Creme broulee with a thin layer of chocolate fudge lining the bottom of the custard dish.

To drink - fresh-made sangria with brandy and chunks of fresh citrus fruit in the glass. No ice. A glass of spring water with lemon and lime on the side as well - again, no ice.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,198,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Oh, I have had those rocky mountain oysters. They smell good when they're cooking, but they're kinda gross.

Hi,

I know this is off-topic but I really want to know.

I was thinking of preparing a cheesesteak at home, and I wanted to know what is the best bread to use, what is the best beef to use, and would Lawry's seasoning salt be adequate as a seasoning for the meat.
My favorite establishment uses french loaves, but any hoagie roll will do. Just make sure it's one that will toast nicely and isn't too soft and squishy because the fillings can get kinda soppy. The traditional method would have you use a ribeye roast, but I've made homemade cheesesteaks with deli roast beef. (The traditional Philly cheesesteak also uses cheese whiz, but our favorite place uses provolone and it is PERFECTION!)

Not sure what Lawry's seasoning is, but it'll probably work. Or just a dash of salt and pepper.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
mac and cheese and pineapple upside down cake with wipped cream

Old 05-30-2014, 01:02 PM

118,676 posts, read 13,636,894 times
I love on my birthday smoked salmon with whipped horse radish,mini toasts,Caviar pie and Champagne..at home with my family/friends. For dessert Black Forest Torte with Schnapps or any other German Torte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or