U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,987,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't care what FDA approves. They approved lots of crap banned in other nations.

BTW: why do we need stuff that is approximately 37 000 times sweeter than sucrose?
I think the point would be that you would be able to use 37,0000 times LESS of the product to achieve the same results....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 983,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't care what FDA approves. They approved lots of crap banned in other nations.
Sugar and artificial sweeteners are evil. Period.

BTW: why do we need stuff that is approximately 37 000 times sweeter than sucrose?
Complete nonsense. Sugar is a completely natural plant and is not harmful to a normal human body with normal use. It's not "evil" in the slightest. Artificial sweeteners have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be harmless. They have been used for DECADES with no ill effect. They also are not "evil."

I assure you there is no FDA conspiracy to poison the entire population of the U.S.A.

Just because people who are scared of their own shadows believe everything they read on the internet (like not vaccinating their children) doesn't mean it's truthful. Life expectancy has risen since 1950. People are eating too much and sitting around too little. That's the REAL cause of the epidemic of diabetes and obesity. No one should eat a half gallon of ice cream just because they had a bad day. It's THEIR fault they are overweight. People are living longer and that's the cause of increasing diseases. The Japanese, lauded for their "healthy" eating habits, suffer the highest rate of deadly stomach cancer on Earth. No matter what you eat or don't eat, you're still going to die.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 05-31-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 12:56 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
just a neotame knockoff. I use neotame. I mix a level TSP into a bottle of vegetable glycerin, and one small squirt from that bottle will sweeten an entire gallon of beverage. That small quantity is less harmful than a larger quantity of aspartame.

I don't believe all that curezone garbage about artificial sweeteners anyways.. I used too, and used to believe in liver flushes, enemas, eating clay, and all that nonsense.. but it's just that.. nonsense. Eat a balanced diet, exercise, and enjoy the occasional diet soda.. you'll be fine.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:31 AM

33,573 posts, read 51,786,623 times
The newest version of aspartame – Advantame – a potent vanillin and aspartame-based chemical sweetener from Ajinomoto North America. To me, it’s still aspartame – modified aspartame. Aspartame, no matter what it’s called, just won’t go away.

In 1992, NutraSweet lost its patent (then owned by Monsanto), and NutraSweet’s swirl and blue packets of Equal were found on grocery shelves alongside products with generic aspartame.
The FDA-mandated PKU/phenylalanine warning was still on product labels, though. Change the patent, and this warning goes away.
Aspartame has been marketed in many different ways to keep the profits rolling.

But that's OK. It's just MY opinion. You go ahead and enjoy!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:09 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Trade cancer for diabetes?

The only thing that I think is a good sugar "substitute" that doesn't seem to spike blood sugar is fresh stevia leaves, not overly processed stevia power. They're on sale at many nurseries around this time of year.

Common sucralose, by any branding, does not spike blood glucose levels. I know - I have diabetes.
I haven't tries the stevia products but I do believe they are good, too.

Aspartame should be banned.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Fantastic news for those of us with diabetes. It's sugar that is the #1 evil.
Nice to see you, RR. I agree with you & think that sugar is the #1 evil for anyone. It wreaks havoc on the body... even kids are obese, in part, due to ingesting it far too often. Just curious, can diabetics use agave syrup? It's supposed to be recommended by those popular diets (Atkins, Dukan for just 2) as it doesn't spike the insulin level.

Enjoy your summer.

P.S. Oh, & on stevia, it reacts differently with different people. I've tried it & it doubles me over in stomach pain. Why, I'm unsure. Fortunately, I don't crave or use sugar very often... just a small amount when baking bread.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 05-31-2014 at 04:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 AM
gg

16,937 posts, read 17,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Complete nonsense. Sugar is a completely natural plant and is not harmful to a normal human body with normal use. It's not "evil" in the slightest. Artificial sweeteners have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be harmless. They have been used for DECADES with no ill effect. They also are not "evil."
30% or the world is fat, so I wouldn't say no ill effects. Sugar has no health benefit that I know. I wouldn't eat artificial sweeteners ever. I do eat some sugar, but certainly not daily. It just makes more more hungry when I am full.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,887 times
For Heaven's sake, unless you're diabetic, just use sugar. If you don't want to use sugar, then use honey.

The trick is not eat a ton foods that use any kind of sweetener. Every now and then, sure, but there's no need for it to be part of your daily diet at all.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 PM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post

I assure you there is no FDA conspiracy to poison the entire population of the U.S.A.

Just because people who are scared of their own shadows believe everything they read on the internet (like not vaccinating their children) doesn't mean it's truthful. Life expectancy has risen since 1950. People are eating too much and sitting around too little. That's the REAL cause of the epidemic of diabetes and obesity. No one should eat a half gallon of ice cream just because they had a bad day. It's THEIR fault they are overweight. People are living longer and that's the cause of increasing diseases. The Japanese, lauded for their "healthy" eating habits, suffer the highest rate of deadly stomach cancer on Earth. No matter what you eat or don't eat, you're still going to die.
Seriously? Do you listen to the news or read news online? I would suggest going online and doing a Google news search and reading about some of the studies on the harmful effect of artificial sweeteners. You should be able to quickly find numerous studies.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:18 PM

642 posts, read 909,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
For Heaven's sake, unless you're diabetic, just use sugar. If you don't want to use sugar, then use honey.

The trick is not eat a ton foods that use any kind of sweetener. Every now and then, sure, but there's no need for it to be part of your daily diet at all.
The main way sugar is "toxic" today is because we eat so much of it because it is hidden in processed foods we don't even think of being sweet. In fact, sugar, or worse, high fructose corn syrup (which IS something to avoid like plague!!), is put in these foods in ever increasing quantities.

Just making your own condiments like salad dressings, ketchup, and mayo can drastically reduce your sugar consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or