U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
The main way sugar is "toxic" today is because we eat so much of it because it is hidden in processed foods we don't even think of being sweet. In fact, sugar, or worse, high fructose corn syrup (which IS something to avoid like plague!!), is put in these foods in ever increasing quantities.

Just making your own condiments like salad dressings, ketchup, and mayo can drastically reduce your sugar consumption.
If it's reducing your sugar consumption "drastically" then you're eating too much salad dressing, ketchup, and mayonnaise and should consider just cutting back on that entirely.

I haven't had ketchup in years, and if I have a tablespoon of mayo in a tuna sandwich once a month, it'd be a rare treat for me.

If I STARTED eating ketchup again, just because hey - I'm making my own now right? I'd be consuming more crap that's bad for me, than I was before I started making my own.

Worry more about your condiment consumption than your sugar consumption, if you seriously believe that reducing the sugar in those specific items will "drastically" change anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,894,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Sugar, saccharine, aspartame, and others seem to be evil and not at all good for you. Hoping this one will fare better.

FDA approves a new artificial sweetener*-*Los Angeles Times
Another artificial sweetener for you suckers to consume, huh? Have fun with that.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I googled it and read a bit about it, but what about it makes you like it better? Does it actually taste better than other sugar, or do you like that it is less processed, or....???
Both actually. After comparing the taste to white granulated sugar you can tell just how processed that white stuff is. Theres barely any taste to the stuff compared to the Morena sugar.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:38 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Common sucralose, by any branding, does not spike blood glucose levels. I know - I have diabetes.
I haven't tries the stevia products but I do believe they are good, too.

Aspartame should be banned.
another internet myth about artificial sweeteners is that they spike blood sugar. If they did, every normal person would have a hypoglycemic reaction after drinking a diet soda, just like diabetics do if they inject too much insulin. The body reacts strictly to the presence of glucose when releasing insulin into the body. Even other forms of sugar like fructose must be broken down before the body will release insulin (fructose is broken down by the liver)

As long as a person is not spiking their blood sugar above 140 mg/dl during or after meals there's no real reason to avoid simple carbohydrates except to lose weight, since they are addicting and tend to increase the body's fat storing ability.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:40 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Complete nonsense. Sugar is a completely natural plant and is not harmful to a normal human body with normal use. It's not "evil" in the slightest. Artificial sweeteners have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be harmless. They have been used for DECADES with no ill effect. They also are not "evil."
Sugar and carbs are evil to those with diabetes. I developed type 2 diabetes when I was 54 years
old (was not overweight, ate healthy and did not consume a lot of sugar). I got diabetes due to
genetics (my paternal grandfather had it & his daughter got it in her late 60's - then add me).
I had friends who had juvenile diabetes as well, so those who can eat/consume sugar that's
great and luck was on your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Common sucralose, by any branding, does not spike blood glucose levels. I know - I have diabetes.
I haven't tries the stevia products but I do believe they are good, too.
Aspartame should be banned.
Interesting because sucralose causes problems for me but stevia does not. Give it a try
rainroosty and see if you like it and if it would work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
For Heaven's sake, unless you're diabetic, just use sugar. If you don't want to use sugar, then use honey.
The trick is not eat a ton foods that use any kind of sweetener. Every now and then, sure, but there's no need for it to be part of your daily diet at all.

Honey has more carbs than sugar. You are correct to limit and/or use moderation.
Diabetes foods: Is honey a good substitute for sugar? - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 06-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 PM

642 posts, read 908,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If it's reducing your sugar consumption "drastically" then you're eating too much salad dressing, ketchup, and mayonnaise and should consider just cutting back on that entirely.

I haven't had ketchup in years, and if I have a tablespoon of mayo in a tuna sandwich once a month, it'd be a rare treat for me.

If I STARTED eating ketchup again, just because hey - I'm making my own now right? I'd be consuming more crap that's bad for me, than I was before I started making my own.

Worry more about your condiment consumption than your sugar consumption, if you seriously believe that reducing the sugar in those specific items will "drastically" change anything at all.
I would beg to disagree. There are home made salad dressings you can make that are extremely healthy and taste delicious too. Ketchup is too if you make it yourself. Even homemade mayo is healthy if you choose your ingredients wisely. It's the JUNK they put in the store bought stuff, and what they pass off on you at fast food restaurants, that gives condiments the "unhealthy" label.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 PM

14,969 posts, read 8,536,771 times
Quote:
The FDA set the safe daily consumption level of advantame at 32.8 milligrams per kilogram of body weight--the equivalent of 40,000 packets of advantame. The agency has declared 165 packets per day (per kilo of body weight) as the acceptable daily intake of aspartame and sucralose (Equal and Splenda), and 250 packets per day (per kilo of body weight) of saccharine (Sweet'N Low).

"It was virtually impossible to find a toxic dose in animals, and there were no signs of carcinogenicity, reproductive or developmental toxicity, or any other systemic toxicity in animals or humans," Josh Bloom of the American Council on Science and Health wrote on his blog Wednesday. "About the only way this stuff could harm you is if you were run over by a truck that was delivering it."

Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I would beg to disagree. There are home made salad dressings you can make that are extremely healthy and taste delicious too. Ketchup is too if you make it yourself. Even homemade mayo is healthy if you choose your ingredients wisely. It's the JUNK they put in the store bought stuff, and what they pass off on you at fast food restaurants, that gives condiments the "unhealthy" label.
Would anyone be kind enough to list a recipe for homemade ketchup? I rarely eat it as they all taste nasty (too sugary & syrupy) to me, but I looked up a bunch of recipes online & see they all contain approx 3/4C brown sugar. Does anyone make ketchup without sugar or isn't that possible?

I agree FP. I also dislike most bottled condiments, but for the 1-2 times/yr I need mayo, I make it myself... 1 egg yolk & 1-C olive oil slowly brought to an emulsion in a blender. If adventurous, a few cloves of garlic can be thrown in first. Yes, I know, many don't eat raw eggs... the few times I do (steak tartar twice/yr or mayo once/twice yr), I don't worry about it.

With everything I eat, I like to know what's in it. That's why I rarely eat out & shun frozen/canned/store prepared foods.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
The old Weight Watchers program involved making homemade ketchup. I can't find the recipes but I remember it involved simmering tomato sauce down to nothing and adding sweet and low. This was also the era of having to sign a pledge to eat liver once a week. Yea right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or