U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times

Advertisements

I have two plastic ones. One for veggies and one for meat. I throw them into the dishwasher. When they get gross, I throw them away and start all over again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
I have 3 cutting boards, one is a polytop- a professional surface of hard thick plastic - this I use for wild game and whole primals

I have a 3 foot by 2 ft wooden one - which is great

I also have some thin cheap plastic ones i use if the kitchen is a mess- like spares

I don't like the marble or hard surfaces, they kill a knifes' edge, they are more for show
or as someone said if it is used for bread/serrated edge its ok

for straight knife edges use a wooden (end grain) board or a plastic one.

for knives, I like the forschner victronix - the 6 inch curved boning knife and the 10 inch butcher/steak knife
I've used these professionally for 30 yrs

for a knife sharpener, ,,,the steels align the blade, does not really sharpen, buy a sharpener on e bay- although im good with a stone, I prefer a sharpener that uses sandpaper.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
I read an article once by Consumer Reports that compared the cleanliness of wood cutting boards vs plastic. Of course plastic is cleaner, right?

But the surprise result was that they found wood cutting boards better for avoiding the spread of bacteria. As I remember, it resulted from wood absorbing the bacteria and killing them. If I had a Consumer Reports membership, maybe I could find it, but I don't. Maybe someone else with membership can find this article(?).

Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I read an article once by Consumer Reports that compared the cleanliness of wood cutting boards vs plastic. Of course plastic is cleaner, right?

But the surprise result was that they found wood cutting boards better for avoiding the spread of bacteria. As I remember, it resulted from wood absorbing the bacteria and killing them. If I had a Consumer Reports membership, maybe I could find it, but I don't. Maybe someone else with membership can find this article(?).

I worked for decades as a butcher, and the state(inspectors) outlawed wood surfaces in favor of the plastic ones- the nooks/nicks/crannies of the wood will harbor bacteria, and with wood, the purge will soak in deeper.
years ago, the cutting/butcher blocks were all wood
for the past 40-50yrs, its been plastic surfaces (used professionally)

the state has softened their stance on wood recently- that it isn't so bad, the hard plastic tops also collect bacteria.. they also get nicked and chipped

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I worked for decades as a butcher, and the state(inspectors) outlawed wood surfaces in favor of the plastic ones- the nooks/nicks/crannies of the wood will harbor bacteria, and with wood, the purge will soak in deeper.
Yes, I know wood's reputation. I'm saying that Consumer Reports found it not true. There might have been some qualifications in that, so I wish I could find that article. Wood was the winner, though.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
I have a large, really hard one, sorry not sure of the material that I use as a base - I buy those packages of cheap liner things at dollar stores/Marshalls, etc.) - and use those to actually cut on (I use/mark different colors for different meats/veggies) - you can stick them in the dishwasher - when they get too cut up - toss them and get another package.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
I use wood, primarily, and I have one plastic board with a silicone colander insert that I use for veggies that need a rinse. Never ever use glass - had one of those years ago, and couldn't stand the noise and the blade dulling.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Yes, I know wood's reputation. I'm saying that Consumer Reports found it not true. There might have been some qualifications in that, so I wish I could find that article. Wood was the winner, though.
I also stated that the state has (recently) changed their position on wood surfaces
which supports what you are saying

Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
You can't use glass because that's like fingernails down a blackboard.

Plastic is just gross.

Wood is the best because it contains a "self cleaning" enzyme which means they are very safe, and will last forever.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,303 times
A good quality end grain wooden board is a fantastic investment if you have knives worth caring for (I do). I use wood for everything except meat and then I use plastic boards that I don't mind tossing in the dishwasher on a sanitizing cycle and tossing out when it's looking too marked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or