U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would satisfy you more?
San Francisco 16 45.71%
New Orleans 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,173,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have had wondrous food in Memphis, Denver, Richmond, Berthoud, Colorado, and Bushnell, Nebraska. I've eaten oysters fresh from the sea on Chincoteague and had brunch as well as other 5 star meals at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs where the staff outnumbers the customers. Cafe Central in El Paso and Martino just across the border in Juarez are restaurants worthy of France. Every really big American city has outstanding restaurants. However, when my vacation is to be devoted to gustatory pleasure in this country the only two places are New Orleans and environs and the climes of San Francisco.

For great museums it's NYC; for incredible and (for me) the most alien scenery in this country is in the Everglades or Cape Cod in the winter. But for the best food I'll take the sybaritic paradises where each meal is a delight. The south of Louisiana where even a sterile cafeteria or a little dump selling fried oyster sandwiches hold to standards that the gourmet seeks. I'll take New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and the humid bayou country. It's the land of complete self-indulgence.
I been everywhere man.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,173,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Correction: New Orleanians. Pronounced: N'orlinnians.
You can probably guess which city got my vote.

Do you raise your pinky finger when you drink tea and coffee as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 AM

53 posts, read 54,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, it's unapologetically decadent, but bear in mind, you can't eat like that every day.
Sometimes supper is a hunk of fresh baguette, some artisanal cheese (we make over 300 different kinds), a glass of wine and some fresh fruit.
Looking at the owner of Joe Beef, I surmised that. The guy carries a fist-sized black truffle with him everywhere.. He's like the P Diddy of food. I'm going three places on my food pilgrimage: Montreal, Istanbul and the Yucatan.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,541,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxchef View Post
Looking at the owner of Joe Beef, I surmised that. The guy carries a fist-sized black truffle with him everywhere.. He's like the P Diddy of food. I'm going three places on my food pilgrimage: Montreal, Istanbul and the Yucatan.
Montreal won't disappoint.
Here's another one who had the same idea.

Quick Montreal visit to eat!

Quote:

- We had to cancel our reservation for Tuesday night at Toque, because the
game did not wrap up until after 10. But they were kind enough to reschedule us
for a late seating the night after. This may have turned out to be one of the
best meals in a while, absolutely on par with quite a few of the Michelin 2 star
meals we have enjoyed over the years. The chef is high on technique and
refinement, but nothing too flashy. We opted for the 7 course tasting menu with
5 glass wine pairing. The menu was as close to flawless as you can get, with
each dish basically leading perfectly into the next. If you haven't been, go and
treat yourself. Be prepared to spend around 3.5 hours, but they fly by.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-05-2014 at 03:25 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,044,416 times
New Orleans. Yummy:-)

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM

17,187 posts, read 22,229,410 times
I see Maine didn't make the list

i'd like to nominate "The Roadkill Café"

the "chunk O Skunk" will rival any Lamb, Veal, and Beef Plate anywhere!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 AM

69,423 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Food is a religion here.
Even our food trucks HAVE to serve gourmet fare. It's the law. I'm not kidding.
I ate buying the food from a food truck while in Montreal and got kraut dogs and fries. I never guessed that was considered gourmet. I would say the food was good in Montreal but I have eaten a lot of places with better food: Hong Kong for starters, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Krakow,Poland.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM

69,423 posts, read 79,637,759 times
There are so many cities with great food, if you know where to go, but I choose San Francisco of the two. There is so much ethnic varieties and to be honest, one of the few ethnic foods I am not crazy over is Cajun.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

10,175 posts, read 18,164,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
The ethnic diversity of San Francisco lends to a true exploration of culinary delights.
Do they have Polish, Lithuanian and Bohemian neighborhoods in San Francisco? Can I get good cabbage rolls, kugelis or roast duck and dumplings out there?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:47 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,541,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I ate buying the food from a food truck while in Montreal and got kraut dogs and fries. I never guessed that was considered gourmet. I would say the food was good in Montreal but I have eaten a lot of places with better food: Hong Kong for starters, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Krakow,Poland.
Probably locally-sourced, hand-made and organic.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-05-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink