U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,170,562 times

Advertisements

Have you seen this movie?
Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head
It's a very insightful glimpse into the history of food and how carbs being in everything has just gotten out of control. It's a fun movie too.

The major problem with too many carbs is that they turn to sugar in your system as we all know, but then they ravage through our veins and arteries. They scratch and inflame our arteries so much that it makes our body send out the cholesterol to patch the holes. More carbs, more injury, more cholesterol. It's not the fat in our diet that makes cholesterol, but the sugar because it's beating up our veins. The band aid of cholesterol is getting all the attention and sugar/carbs gets none of the blame. That is the classic "blame the victim" mentality.

You can even eat up to 100 carbs a day and still be in good health. Most low carbers eat up to 25 carbs a day, some try to stay at zero, which is really really hard.

Keep digging and come up with what works for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:04 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like the moderation and common sense diet.
!!

Yep, everything in moderation. Eat all the foods!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
carbs get processed like sugars- pumps the insulin out...

as much as some have said no red meat and no meat at all, I can respect that, but i'll also offer my opinion and how I have lost weight - lay off the sweets, raise your metabolism to burn fat by exercising, stay away from grains, eat fresh veggies, the greener the better and
eat steak, eat chicken, eat deer, eat pork- eat turkey- protein is very healthy for you

I've had a diet -heavy on the animal proteins, and haven't called in sick to work for almost a decade-haven't got a cold in 2 yrs. my doctor said he would pay for my blood stats/results "whatever you are doing, keep doing it" is his comment

I had a veterinarian come in and ask for some raw meat scraps to feed to her cats and dogs - she is under the impression that our pets are getting all these allergies, because of cooked, processed dog/cat foods..
she also said - she is eating more red meats and cut out processed foods and never felt better herself- she is convinced
that processed foods(grains and sweets) are the evil of society.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like the moderation and common sense diet.
this is correct, eat what you like in moderation, life is a balance

Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM

695 posts, read 1,228,572 times
I follow a relatively low carb diet. Right now I'm not counting them, but generally speaking I choose one carb-heavier food to eat a week, but never double up. If I want some french fries, then I can't have a beer. If I want a beer with dinner, no rice or potato, just meat and green veggies.

Once your body adjusts to not getting that quick, easy source of energy, I find it functions much better. At least, it's certainly worked that way for me.

I actually do think that I live a "moderation and common sense diet." it's just that the food pyramid that is so readily promoted doesn't support a diet of moderation: it promotes a diet way too heavy in easily processed carbohydrates that lead to more fat on the body.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 PM
gg

16,933 posts, read 17,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlicht View Post
so whats the deal?

i was studying the paleo diet for some days, trying it, but you cant have any carbs.. i like beans, seems you can have no beans, also no oatmeal..

whats the deal with carbs?
What the heck are you talking about? Paleolithic has carbs. There are carbs in all kinds of food for goodness sake. Don't you think a caveman ate an apple? What the heck book are you reading? Check out Mark's Daily Apple for some help. I think you need a lot of help after reading this post. I am also on Paleo, but I know what I am doing.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:09 AM

1,328 posts, read 700,709 times
I am a low carb, veggie. I carb load about every 7-10 days. I also eat whatever I want about 20% of the time. It's not that hard to be a low carb veggie. Eat whole foods, don't overeat and keep active. Stick to the outer aisle's of the food store.

I'll admit I LOL at the people who don't count whole carbs. I eat whole foods, I do not subtract my fiber, nor do I use those crappy "low carb" labeled foods. TBH, they are crap.

I really dislike those low carb "diets". Actually any diet. I eat to fuel my body. But if I want a donut once in a while, I darn well have one.

I went food shopping today and was kinda disgusted. It's always an eye opener seeing the pure crap that people buy. I like to feel good instead of feeling lazy and bloated.

Everyone is different so just do what works for you.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I've had a diet -heavy on the animal proteins, and haven't called in sick to work for almost a decade-haven't got a cold in 2 yrs. my doctor said he would pay for my blood stats/results "whatever you are doing, keep doing it" is his comment
Bang-on to my experience as well.

I went low-carb and lost 36 lbs in three months. I was limiting myself to 20 grams of carbs a day, mostly in the form of salad greens. I ate a lot of cheese, sausage, eggs and tuna for breakfast and lunch, and chicken, pork and beef for dinner. After six weeks, I had my cholesterol checked as my father thought this diet would kill me. I got the test results and my doctor told me it couldn't be better. He also said "whatever you are doing, keep it up."

Anyone looking to lose weight this way should seriously read Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution. It explains the primary causes of obesity, how obesity, sugars and diabetes are linked, and the health dangers of a carb-heavy diet.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 AM

163 posts, read 238,453 times
Everyone is so different. I do great with carbs, but not with dairy. All my excess weight fell off when I cut out dairy. Part of that might have been that I can't have MSG either, and finding processed foods without either is nearly impossible. I make lots of stuff from scratch.

I eat meat, but not a lot.

I could live on potatoes and beans and vegetables. I think I have, actually .

Old 06-03-2014, 03:01 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I find I feel heavy after even one slice of pizza, let alone TWO thin crusts.
Also, eat a carb (bread, pasta), want a carb...I say.

I like a vegetarian diet...but I get like my friends...circles under their eyes,more colds,
weak, get cold easily....I have talked all three of them to please increase their
DAILY intake of complete protein...they did with protein powder and 2 of them eat eggs.
They ALL said they see a difference.

I watch them and they often eat just beans...no form of grain to make a complete protein.

Thank you I forgot to eat berries and I do like them.
(Btw, I get the least sick of anyone I know....friends of 35 years know this...as in
2xs flu bec of people exposing me blatantly, 3 colds for same reason...kissing sick kids that
I wasn't warned not to....in 37 years, say....)

My veggie friends get 3 colds a year and most last for 2 months and make them bedridden.
My obese 3 friends are sick, I think more than not....sorry I digressed...its just they
eat SO many carbs....I watch them at meals...it is scary....I met one on his break...he was
eating pastry and drinking a coke...he is 70 lbs overweight.
Oh well. A little venting....
I eat a lot of carbs, fish and fruit. I can't live without my fresh baguettes and have at least six servings of fruit a day....that's a lot of carbs. I don't eat any red meat at all.
I can't remember the last time I had a cold either, am not overweight, and I feel great.
Whatever works for you.

I've done the Atkin's when I needed to lose a few pounds in a hurry, and it does work because your body goes into ketosis. I start feeling faint and lightheaded after a while, and I couldn't make it a lifestyle.
Just point me in the direction of the nearest boulangerie and I'm a happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink