U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 AM

132 posts, read 185,194 times

Advertisements

so whats the deal?

i was studying the paleo diet for some days, trying it, but you cant have any carbs.. i like beans, seems you can have no beans, also no oatmeal..

whats the deal with carbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 9,421,109 times
Eat the Paleo way but modify it for your tastes. Eliminate the red meat and substitute beans. That way you'll be eating the protein without the meat.

Yes, beans are very high in protein. And a less expensive source than meat. And higher in fiber.

All carbs are not evil -- but the processed white carbs are! (white flour, white sugar). After all, vegetables are carbs. And they are terrific for a healthy diet.

Read this article for details: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-...eans-7842.html

Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM

12,684 posts, read 10,752,997 times
I eat ultra Low carbs...and I feel great!!!!
That is how I judge something.
(That "Epilogue" at the end of Protein Power did it for me...so
revealing about our ancestors! Sit and read it in a bookstore someday, wow.
That will explain best why no carbs.).

Ha, I even buy 0 carb heavy cream and dilute it with water
for my tea and coffee, that is extreme...but hey, I miss a ton of carbs everyday!
I eat apples mostly bec other fruit just doesn't interest me.
No potatoes or corn or flour products or sugar ever.
I eat some beans occassionally, but why? (Bec I think I "should") Too much gas...I can get fiber
from all my green veggies.
I have about 2 'deck of cards " of any meat, and an org egg for breakfast with piles
of spinach and mushr and leeks. Never toast for years now.

I know I didn't tell you the 'deal' with carbs...but I feel so great....tried and true...and
my weight stays steady.

I tell fat friends complaining of their weight for years...'Please just do this for 2 weeks..."
Then, eat all the pasta, pizza and pastries you want for a couple days (like they usually do)
...simply see how you feeeeeeell.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 06-02-2014 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM

5,121 posts, read 9,421,109 times
Miss Hepburn, so glad your low carb eating pays off for you.

But as to why beans, I ask, "why meat?" It's much more expensive than beans/nuts/whole grains, and is likely to (unless grass fed and organic) to contain hormones and antibiotics.

I think we eat meat because it's part of our meat and potatoes culture and some like its flavor. But in many parts of the world, meat is too epensive and uses too many precious resources such as water and land. Ounce for ounce, beans/nuts/whole grains are a smarter, healthier and more environmentally economical choice.

Meat is unnecessary for a healthful diet.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 AM

12,684 posts, read 10,752,997 times
Oh, sorry, yes grass fed.
Don't know why, but my body does really well with meat.
And no bottom feeders.
Believe me I know the difference after 15 years of not even eating
a brownie if it was made with an egg, let alone no meat.
(I am a master of
Baking with egg replacer, btw.)

Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 AM

so whats the consensus on this? i guess there will never be any

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlicht View Post
so whats the consensus on this? i guess there will never be any
I guess the smartest thing is to see it for yourself. Follow the paleo diet rigorously for a month or a few months and see if you feel better or not. If you feel better decide to stick to it or not.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I guess the smartest thing is to see it for yourself. Follow the paleo diet rigorously for a month or a few months and see if you feel better or not. If you feel better decide to stick to it or not.
thanks, man i tried, no soda for a week, then i was dying for a cold pepsi! i drank one

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM

theres no way to be successful with this i think, unless you have colossal willpower, i am 6'1 about 245 and i admit i lost weight after about 3 days though i am not really overweight, but i just didnt drink soda, had no grains, rice, starch etc

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,002,677 times
Quote:
thanks, man i tried, no soda for a week, then i was dying for a cold pepsi! i drank one
Quote:
theres no way to be successful with this i think, unless you have colossal willpower, i am 6'1 about 245 and i admit i lost weight after about 3 days though i am not really overweight, but i just didnt drink soda, had no grains, rice, starch etc
Remember that carbs are a major source of energy. The reason why you crave soda and possibly other things might very well be because you don't eat enough of the other food groups to make up for it. Increase the intake of vegetables and meat and whatever else paleo prescribes to make up for it. In your case it might even be recommended to count calories to see where you're at.

Ps. I don't do paleo myself, I love carbs and beans and dairy and whatever else it outlaws. But I do think it's possible as long as you compensate for the food that you don't eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink