U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

Bought the world's biggest jar of chopped garlic at COSTCO yesterday and I am wanting to freeze it in plastic ice cube trays by putting a teaspoon or two in with chopped fresh herbs. I usually freeze chopped fresh herbs with olive oil but most of my recipes use garlic with herbs. Not even sure if I will need the oilive oil since the garlic is rather moist.(packed in oil?) Anybody see any problem with this?

Will my ice cube trays take on the garlic smell or taste? I usually take the frozen cubes and put them in a container in the freezer so i can just grab one or two as I need them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
I wouldn't take food from a jar, transfer it to an ice cube tray and freeze it. The minced garlic probably already has a preservative and is intended to be kept for months in the refrigerator.

The only time you'd want to do this with garlic (freeze in ice cube tray) is if you're using FRESH minced garlic. Never jarred.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 PM

557 posts, read 1,030,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Bought the world's biggest jar of chopped garlic at COSTCO yesterday and I am wanting to freeze it in plastic ice cube trays by putting a teaspoon or two in with chopped fresh herbs. I usually freeze chopped fresh herbs with olive oil but most of my recipes use garlic with herbs. Not even sure if I will need the oilive oil since the garlic is rather moist.(packed in oil?) Anybody see any problem with this?

Will my ice cube trays take on the garlic smell or taste? I usually take the frozen cubes and put them in a container in the freezer so i can just grab one or two as I need them. Thank you.

I've never frozen garlic before, but I know the gigantic jar of chopped garlic from Costco you're talking about. I should think your ice cube trays might take on the odor of the garlic permanently. Maybe try going to a local dollar store and buying some cheap one ice cube trays to freeze the garlic, rather than take a chance and ruin your good ones? I've seen freeze dried garlic, minced freeze dried garlic, and garlic that is powdered and granulated. Never seen frozen garlic before

While it's so convenient to have that giant jar of garlic in the fridge, I've thrown enough of it away from non-use to make me not buy it any more. I've noticed that if you have it too long, the garlic takes on a rancid taste and smell.

I use garlic in almost everything, but I guess I don't use enough of it and can never go through the whole jar from Costco in time before that rancid type thing starts happening.

Now, I HAVE chopped a lot of garlic {if I know I'll be cooking in large quantities soon}, and I've placed the chopped fresh garlic in a little bowl with olive oil and a tight fitting lid or plastic wrap in the fridge, but I use it all up within a couple of days.

Let us know if you decide to try this method, will be interesting.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I googled Freezing jarred garlic and never did run across freezing minced jarred garlic but learned COSTCO sells whole peeled garlic in the Frozen Food Section and I think it was about as much as that huge jar of minced. And many folks freeze their own fresh minced garlic. Seems the healthy component of garlic starts dissipating once it is cut--a something- but since so many folks use jarred garlic it can't be so bad. My left hand is funky and it makes peeling garlic really difficult but I love to cook with it alot. As cheap as that huge jar was i won't feel bad if my freezing experiement fails. I'll go to the dollar store tomorrow to buy some cheap ice trays.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,172,071 times
I don't think the taste of garlic would survive freezing. I do freeze herbs but never garlic. Fresh garlic is so easy to keep in the cupboard and just as easy to prepare. I just smash it with the broad size of a large knife and then mince it. If you smash it with the knife the skin pops right of it. Depending on how hard you smash it you can also take the easily peeled garlic and grate it easily with a cheese grater. Nothing better than fresh garlic.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Why would garlic not survive freezing?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM

whole garlic survives freezing and i freeze casseroles with garlic in it all the time. how would that make any difference?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,172,071 times
I just really like fresh garlic. Have played around with the jarred, dehydrated, but settled on using only fresh.

Freezing Garlic

Can You Freeze Garlic?

People frequently ask whether or not it's possible to freeze garlic. Well, yes, you can freeze it - but from my experience it's not a good idea.
Garlic can be frozen either as separate cloves or as a complete head. It can be successfully defrosted and used in cooking. Unfortunately the flavour will never be as good as it was originally. The garlic simply isn't as potent and sometimes the texture deteriorates as well. Arguably it's not worth using.

Warning: Raw garlic stored in oil at room temperature can quickly result in botulism (clostridium botulinum) leading to serious illness and possibly death. Even keeping it refrigerated for too long can be dangerous. Be careful.

According to the National Center for Home Food Preservation, garlic-in-oil "may be frozen for long term storage for up to several months" (click here for more information.). Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM

I use so much garlic and my love for it only increases the older I get. I'm gonna try freezing some in oil with fresh herbs and I will probably use it up pretty fast. I love the taste of it but peeling garlic is getting harder and harder for me and that huge jar takes up a great deal of space in my fridge. I have more room in my two freezers.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,411,168 times
Flat pan, like a non stick cookie pan, or any pan with aluminum foil on it. Place a teaspoon full of garlic on it in discrete portions and freeze it that way. Works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or