U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,164,004 times
Default Need cake ideas for a rock climbing theme.

My son's brithday party is at a rock gym and I want to make a cake that looks like a rock wall or mountain. I was thinking of making a sheet cake and cutting it into squares and "gluing" them into a mountain-like shape with icing.

Any ideas on how to do this to make it look really cool or any alternate ideas are invited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,810,693 times
You know how you make those cinnamon pull-apart coffee cakes with store bought bisquit dough, by cutting them in fourths and then rolling them in butter and cinnamon and sugar and pouring them into a bundt cake pan or whatever. You could make those in different sizes and mound them together to look like the rocks at Veadawoo, which is what I picture when I think of rock climbing. It's an area in Wyoming, you can see pictures of it on the City of Laramie's web site. The pieces aren't all the same color and with them all being different sizes they would really look like boulders. You could do different rock formations on top of a cake, and make it the grass and whatnot.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,810,693 times
You could also bake a cake in a bowl and then "carve" it to look like a mountain or rocks. I think Betty Crocker has a recipe for doing this. Or add more cake pieces to it, the bowl shape would give you a nice foundation and probably cut easier than a bunch of pieces put together.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. I started googling them to find out how to do it and stumbled on this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/rockcake.jpg (broken link)

and it's made out of Rice Krispie treats..... I think I'll save the cake mixes that I bought and do this one.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 AM

3,100 posts, read 179,638 times
dont know that gluing would work. why not just make a huge rock/boulder cake? grey icing! cool! maybe you could decorate the rock with some tiny plastic people?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM

I have an idea that will use a real cake, icing and rice krispie treats. And I found a cool Bendo guy to use. The cake is in the oven now. I will post a pix tomorrow when it is all put together.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 AM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
Make a cake with a frozen waterfall and have an ice climber climbing up the waterfall while a skier picks his way down next to the waterfall !

Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Make a cake with a frozen waterfall and have an ice climber climbing up the waterfall while a skier picks his way down next to the waterfall !
LOL, that would be cute, but it the party was in a rock gym. Here is the pix. It wasn't as cute as the one I found online, and I cheated and used a Bendo for the climber instead of making edible people. It was super easy and I had icing, whipped cream, cherries and other toppings, along with ice cream. The kids had almost as much fun doctoring up their cake as they did climbing the walls.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/2.jpg (broken link)

I baked a 13" X 9" chocloate cake and made a half-inch thick layer of Rice Krispie treats using cocoa marshmallows to lay on top. Then i made a big square of Rice Krispie treats for the wall, used candies for the footings and licorice lace for the "rope".

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/8.jpg (broken link)

If anyone is thinking of a great party idea, the rock gym rocked- yuk, yuk! My son said it was his best party ever and every kid kept telling him how much fun they were having. He is new at this school, so it made it all the better for me to see the kids having so much fun.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/78.jpg (broken link)

Instead of those dreaded goodie bags, I bought CD labels and have a picture of the rock wall and the date and am burning CDs with pix of the party and he will give them out when he returns to school after the holidays.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/6.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink