Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,538,253 times

Advertisements

I can't stick to any one. I vary every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,950,530 times
No, not Japanese food. I've switched to Thai, but I still like Chinese occasionally, if it's a quality restaurant.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,761,574 times
"...I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so..."

Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 PM

20,825 posts, read 28,155,148 times
I eat both but I am picky about what I have and I don't like sushi.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,092,573 times
Yeah, I've got to go along with the "why one or the other" crowd.

Are we limited to eating only one Asian cuisine, or something?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,584,050 times
I love em both, no need to switch.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM

88,044 posts, read 83,879,518 times
I only recently finally had a Japanese meal that I enjoyed. A friend of mine kept trying to get me to go for Japanese, but I have not enjoyed it before. I went to a supposedly "nice" Japanese restaurant once with my now-ex husband. I got a bite-sized piece of steak, which was tasty, but incredibly tiny, and it came with some very hard vegetables covered with some sort of whitish batter. And rice. The rice was OK. I was not impressed with Japanese food, to say the least.

Then sushi came along and became popular, but the idea of raw fish didn't appeal at all, although people I knew said they liked it. I figured they were lying just because they wanted to be trendy, lol. My own daughter likes sushi, because it's been around all her life, and my next-door neighbor is a sushi chef at a local restaurant and he made her this thing with avocado and tuna and I tried that. It was really not bad, but it's also not something that would make you say, "Wow, that was great, can't wait to eat it again."

Then this past year I decided to try again because people at work had found a little Japanese place that had a lunch deal and I joined them. It was awful. I got a piece of salmon, again, small enough for two bites, and rice, and that was OK, but it came with some unidentifiable fried little bundles and I ate them but I had no idea what was inside of them and they tasted weird. After I ate them I seriously feared I was going to vomit. I still to this day have no idea what I ate, and no one else who goes there seems to know what's in these things (they look sort of like small egg rolls, and I don't like egg rolls but they tasted different--like some kind of fish that went bad so they mushed it up and fried it) but they eat them anyway. I didn't feel well the rest of the day.

Finally about a month ago, my friend and I stopped to get wine to go to a BYO Mexican place, and I'm not all that enthralled with Mexican food, either, but this place sometimes has some specials that are good and don't taste exactly the same as everything else does in a Mexican restaurant, lol. Like they will have shrimp and not bury it in cheese and red glop with spices but have it with vegetables and a cream sauce instead. Probably not really Mexican, but it's far more enjoyable to me than burritos and enchiladas and the other things that are all the same ingredients but come in different shapes.

Anyway, the wine store was next to a Japanese place, and my friend said she loved the hibachi there. I was hesitant to go for Japanese again, because I was genuinely hungry, but she said I would like the hibachi thing, and I really did! It probably is NOT authentic Japanese food, lol, because it was steak and scallops and shrimp and vegetables over fried rice, but it was very good.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
"...I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so..."
Now that song's about an altogether different activity than eating, hehehe.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM

I like Thai food.

Tried Korean, but it just tastes as bad as it smells. The whole restaurant smelled bad. I won't try that again. I guess you acquire a taste for rotten-tasting food, but I don't really want to acquire that taste.

And then I ended up buying a condo from an old Korean couple. They left frozen kimchi in the freezer because it was stuck into the drawer and they couldn't get it out, and then they told a relative to come over and get it after the power was turned off and it thawed, but the relative couldn't get in and so when I got the keys...my new home smelled like kimchi X 10. I had to throw out the stuff from the fridge and bleach out the freezer and call in Stanley Steemer to deodorize the carpet.

Will never ever ever again eat anything that smells like that, no thanks.

I would like to try Vietnamese food. A lot of people seem to like that.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,241,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like Thai food.

Tried Korean, but it just tastes as bad as it smells. The whole restaurant smelled bad. I won't try that again. I guess you acquire a taste for rotten-tasting food, but I don't really want to acquire that taste.

And then I ended up buying a condo from an old Korean couple. They left frozen kimchi in the freezer because it was stuck into the drawer and they couldn't get it out, and then they told a relative to come over and get it after the power was turned off and it thawed, but the relative couldn't get in and so when I got the keys...my new home smelled like kimchi X 10. I had to throw out the stuff from the fridge and bleach out the freezer and call in Stanley Steemer to deodorize the carpet.

Will never ever ever again eat anything that smells like that, no thanks.

I would like to try Vietnamese food. A lot of people seem to like that.
If you like Thai You'll probably like vietnamese food, especially if you start off with the beef noodle soup. Also try the spring rolls. I don't know of many vietnamese restaurants in nj though.

Korean and authentic chinese cooking has many pungent and potentially offensive odors; lots of smelly fermented ingredients.

I've never had Japanese food other than sushi and tempura. Not cooked by Japanese people - only at fusion restaurants so I don't know how real Japanese food tastes... But I'm not a fan of eating raw fish either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink