U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Prices might vary somewhat by area. I bake in volume fairly often and have to be able to calculate my cost on an order. I also have to plan for the things like sugar and vanilla that seem like they only take a little bit and might not be worth counting, but do add up on larger orders. I've made cakes that took a couple hundred dollars worth of ingredients...on that kind of order you learn to account for the sugar, vanilla, oil, baking spray, etc. because you don't want to end up not charging enough which amounts to working for free.

I think we were picturing a different sort of final product though...the cupcakes I make usually have a 2" swirl of frosting on top and can't be double-stacked. That's also why I need 8 lbs of 10x sugar to frost 96 cupcakes. You can make the swirls a little smaller (leave a ring of cake showing between the cupcake wrapper and where the icing starts) and maybe get by with 6lbs of sugar, but then the cupcakes will dry out faster. I can't make buttercream without a mixer either...you must have arms like Popeye if you can do it
We're also picturing different needs of the OP. You're assuming the OP is planning on making volume "fairly often" on what seems to be an ongoing, professional basis (you refer to larger orders).

I'm assuming the OP is trying to make one batch of 96 cupcakes, once.

Also, my cupcakes are good enough that I wouldn't want to cover them with 2 inches of buttercream (which in my opinion, is the absolute worst-tasting frosting you could put on a cake of any kind, ever). And my frosting is rich enough that anything more than 1/8 of an inch would be wasteful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 PM

31,161 posts, read 57,274,608 times
96 cupcakes?!??!!!

Buy them.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Why would you make them?

Buy them.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:56 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Buy them! And look for other bakeries/options. You may be able to get better for less!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I'd make them. Cheaper and a fun project, plus I get to lick the bowl.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
id make them, why?

because it will give you confidence to do it again, and what if you couldn't afford to buy them in the future? or you want to teach your kids to make em??

every challenge is worthwhile,

the easy route is to buy them. go with what anonchick wrote

sometimes the effort is just as important as the gift itself-home made cupcakes always taste better

reminds me of an old African story

one weekend in the village, it was the teachers birthday - all the kids in the village gave the teacher a gift, except for one boy , the same boy that no one knew where he went- well sunday night the boy showed in the village and gave the teacher her gift,
the gift was a piece of drift wood - the teacher placed the piece of wood next to her other gifts-some of the other kids chuckled, because it was just a piece of wood. she couldn't hold back the tears, she hugged the boy and thanked him repeatedly for the piece of wood it was her favorite gift!- she realized what the other kids did not- the boy had to walk over 20 miles to the ocean and back , and it was his effort, more than the gift it self,,that was her gift

Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,152,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id make them, why?

because it will give you confidence to do it again, and what if you couldn't afford to buy them in the future? or you want to teach your kids to make em??

every challenge is worthwhile,

the easy route is to buy them. go with what anonchick wrote

sometimes the effort is just as important as the gift itself-home made cupcakes always taste better

reminds me of an old African story

one weekend in the village, it was the teachers birthday - all the kids in the village gave the teacher a gift, except for one boy , the same boy that no one knew where he went- well sunday night the boy showed in the village and gave the teacher her gift,
the gift was a piece of drift wood - the teacher placed the piece of wood next to her other gifts-some of the other kids chuckled, because it was just a piece of wood. she couldn't hold back the tears, she hugged the boy and thanked him repeatedly for the piece of wood it was her favorite gift!- she realized what the other kids did not- the boy had to walk over 20 miles to the ocean and back , and it was his effort, more than the gift it self,,that was her gift
I guess I'm not a nice person, because if I was a teacher and a kid walked 20 miles on their own to the beach for a piece of wood, I'd wonder what was wrong with the boy and/or his parents who let him walk 20 miles to the beach on his own to pick up a piece of wood.

Also, if the OP couldn't afford to spend $40.00 on cupcakes in the future, the OP probably couldn't afford to make 96 cupcakes again in the future. It only costs less if you regularly have those ingredients and supplies on hand - if you have to make all special purchases, then it will often be more time and money spent to make on your own.

Anyhow, OP - buy the cupcakes. It's not worth the hassle to make them all yourself, especially if you most likely wouldn't do this again. Not to mention, if you normally don't bake at all, then you could end up burning a batch, or forgetting an ingredient in a batch, etc., which ultimately would cost you more money and time. So if you did bake them yourself, you'd probably end up going with a cake mix, and those often don't taste as good as a bakery cupcake. Also, store-bought cupcakes will probably look a little nicer, if you're not used to decorating at all.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
I'm going to a potluck tomorrow. I bought a fabulous Belgian chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache for under $10.
No way would I make it myself.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM

31,161 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id make them, why?

Oh, good grief.

Self-confidence has nothing to do with the PITA it would be to mix, bake and frost eight dozen freakin' cupcakes.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,656,746 times
Home made cupcakes from scratch would taste better than bakery but making them from a box, not so much.

I would skip the box mix and either make from scratch or buy at bakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or