U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
If you decide to go with purchasing them, have you checked with a local bakery? They may be more economical, flexible and taste better. Just a thought.
They probably will taste better....but more economical? If anything, they will be more expensive. Delish....but not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 AM

5,459 posts, read 4,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When I did not have an adequate kitchen and few pans and utensils I would call a friend and ask if we could spend the afternoon using her kitchen, pans and utensils to bake cookies or cupcakes.
She loves to bake, has all of the necessary ingredients on hand and is always up for a marathon session of mixing, baking and icing.

I would purchase all of the ingredients necessary, go to her place and we would start.
Any leftover ingredients were always left with her for the use of her kitchen.
She would always get as many of the leftover cupcakes/cookies that she wanted to keep, we had a fun afternoon and I had the help I needed to get them done.

If I had not been able to do this with my friend I probably would have purchased the cupcakes.
That sounds like fun. I love to cook with others.

I think, other than the cost involved, is whether the OP enjoys baking, or is up for a challenge. To some people, making 96 cupcakes would be enjoyable and creative - to others, it is just a PIA obligation that they got stuck into making. If that's the case, buy them, regardless of cost.

Years ago, I worked in a bakery. It was a common belief there that baking with a resentful or bad attitude resulted in food that gave people heartburn and indigestion. Whether or not that is true, why do something that doesn't bring you any pleasure or joy?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:46 AM

723 posts, read 962,487 times
It's healthier to make them yourself, but a bit of work. It depends on how much you like to bake, perhaps.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM

153 posts, read 145,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callendargirl View Post
For an upcoming party, I need about 96 cupcakes. I'm not a huge fan of baking, however this is all on a budget, so if I need to bake I will.
Cost of purchasing 96 cupcakes in store at a large chain is about $40.

I don't have any of the pans or liners. So between buying all ingredients and supplies, do you think it would be cheaper to make them or buy from the store?

IMHO, these are the key sentences. Buying them would be your best option.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
We're also picturing different needs of the OP. You're assuming the OP is planning on making volume "fairly often" on what seems to be an ongoing, professional basis (you refer to larger orders).

I'm assuming the OP is trying to make one batch of 96 cupcakes, once.

Also, my cupcakes are good enough that I wouldn't want to cover them with 2 inches of buttercream (which in my opinion, is the absolute worst-tasting frosting you could put on a cake of any kind, ever). And my frosting is rich enough that anything more than 1/8 of an inch would be wasteful.

If someone needs to make food to take to a party or church every few months, cupcakes are quick and it's easy to make them look professional with very little practice. So that's why I mentioned in my first post that if she was going to need to make them more than once, it would make sense to get the pans, piping bags, food color and icing tip. For a one time event, it makes more sense to buy them.

Another thing that's great to learn to make if you take food to parties often is chocolate-dipped strawberries. During strawberry season that's one of the most economical party foods you can make, they look great, and everyone gobbles them up.

Cake or cupcakes usually serve a dual purpose at parties. They're a dessert and a decoration. A thin layer of ganache may taste better to some people than a buttercream swirl, but it doesn't look as decorative. Not all buttercream tastes like the stuff on Walmart cakes, either. If you use all butter and beat it until it's nearly white, then add cane sugar (not beet), real vanilla and cream, it's delicious, especially when you use enough sugar that the outside of the icing forms a slight crust as it dries.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
I could make them for a lot less than $40, but I already have a mixer, bowls, measuring cups, and muffin tins. I do not use baking mixes, everything from scratch.

If OP doesn't bake, then she should buy them.

If OP decides to bake them, I recommend a yellow cake, as that is about as cheap and easy as you can get, and if anyone likes cake, they like yellow cake. Use the name brand unbleached flour. It costs little bit more, but the difference in flavor is phenomenal. Always use real vanilla extract not imitation.

No two inch swirls of frosting. No piped frosting. I'd use a thin layer of butter cream. For me, it is worth the $1 or so extra to use real butter. That's a big improvement in taste for not a lot more money. Good quality cake doesn't need a lot of frosting.

Decorating runs into some money. I wouldn't decorate unless it was required and then I'd use a very small sprinkle of finely chopped nuts of 1/4 of them, a couple of chocolate shavings on 1/4 of them, a slice of fresh strawberry on 1/4 of them, and the last ones plain.

But I agree with everyone else. If OP doesn't bake, it doesn't make sense to buy the equipment and to buy some of the ingredients, like the bottle of vanilla, that won't be used up and that she has no other use for.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:49 PM

27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times
I would buy cupcakes from Kroger which I think makes the best Cupcakes.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 PM

852 posts, read 814,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I can get the pans for $1 each at the dollar store. A package of 50 cupcake paper cups for $1 each at the dollar store.
I wanted to expand my cupcake pan fleet and was surprised at how much/high these pans were at regular stores. The Dollar Store had solid 6 holer pans for $1, the 99 cent store had 2 foil pans for a buck. ( forget how many holes) I also use these for small parts when futzing around in the garage so I went with the solid ones.

If you are a confident but pan-less baker total up how much the ingredients would be for you and how many pans you want to get - only you can say if the savings are worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or